I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fish Eyes
Posted by: Ken Driedger (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: April 08, 2013 07:35PM

Hio, Folks... My home forum in BC (flybc.ca) has a poster looking for an image of fisheyes on a guide or ferrule wrap... he's unfamilar with the term, and wants a visual.
I checked the search in pics, and text and came up nada. Would someone here know of an image out there, showing bald spots and fisheyes.
Thanks a tonne, KAD.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2013 07:36PM by Ken Driedger.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fish Eyes
Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: April 08, 2013 09:25PM

Most people don't like to take pictures of their mistakes. Tell him to look for a small crater in the finish. That is a fish eye.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 08, 2013 09:33PM

Think of Moon craters

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 08, 2013 09:53PM

If it is indeed fish eyes, there will be many, many of them, perhaps dozens if not hundreds. Not just one or two. The latter are more often bubbles which burst after the point where the finish will easily reflow, or areas on the base that are repelling the finish.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 09, 2013 12:28AM

Notice:
The following links are from wood work related activities. In the videos and pictures, there are some examples of fish eyes, to answer your question. The solution for fish eye remedies, is not necessarily the same for rod building as it is for wood work.

[www.thewoodworksinc.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Ken Driedger (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: April 09, 2013 01:30PM

Thanks, Folks. I get it that no one wants to save flawed work. (pics) I wish I'd photoed some of the horror shows from yesteryear. I had 2 mm pocks, half the wrap totally bald, etc. These were the days before the internet. It was not invented yet. No instant messaging, or sharing of ideas. So it was books, self-learning, and maybe a quick long distance call to somebody somewhere. Cheers, KD

Date: April 09, 2013 03:22PM

Ken,
Did you discover the reason for the fish eyes?
In most cases, fish eyes are caused by surface contamination before the finish is applied.

These days, a very big cause of fish eyes, is SILICONE. Silicone can come from many different sources. If any end up on a thread wrap, you have trouble ahead.

Thus the reason to frequently wash hands.
Keep silicone and oils far from possible rod and thread contamination. Also, there are some certain threads that contain silicone and can cause fish eyes. It has been said, that if a person has that type thread, that by leaving a piece of that thread in the finish as it is being mixed, it apparently eliminates the fish eye issue from that source of contamination. I suppose a slight mixture modification occurs, if the mix is prepared with some of the type thread containing the product.

Be safe
Roger

Date: April 09, 2013 03:22PM

Ken,
Did you discover the reason for the fish eyes?
In most cases, fish eyes are caused by surface contamination before the finish is applied.

These days, a very big cause of fish eyes, is SILICONE. Silicone can come from many different sources. If any end up on a thread wrap, you have trouble ahead.

Thus the reason to frequently wash hands.
Keep silicone and oils far from possible rod and thread contamination. Also, there are some certain threads that contain silicone and can cause fish eyes. It has been said, that if a person has that type thread, that by leaving a piece of that thread in the finish as it is being mixed, it apparently eliminates the fish eye issue from that source of contamination. I suppose a slight mixture modification occurs, if the mix is prepared with some of the type thread containing the product.

Be safe
Roger

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 09, 2013 05:37PM

The way to get rid of fish eyes:
First you have to keep on top of it and inspect the finish as it cures. Most happen on the 2nd-3rd coat. Not the first. Unless you are really sloppy.

When you see one developing take your applicator - brush, spatula, whatever - and 'scrub" the area which breaks-up the substance that caused it.
Neaten it out and you are fine.
Herb

Posted by: Bob Kraft (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: April 10, 2013 07:34PM

Ive read many posts on fish eyes. WASH YOUR HANDS! Think like a surgeon. When I wrap thread or apply epoxy my hands are clean, clean, clean. I do not touch epoxy inbetween coats. I M O, most contaimination is coming right off your fingers.. Do you eat popcorn while you are wrapping guides? Try it, just another "common sense system.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 11, 2013 04:51PM

When I do any thread work and take a break to have a cig I was my hands before getting back to it
You always touch the thread while doing any thread work

Like said - wash - wash - wash

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster