I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Test casting - how hard?
Posted by: Nate Fess (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: April 08, 2013 07:18PM

I went out this weekend to test cast a 8'6" surf rod and on the four or fifth cast my line got hung up somewhere. The 2 oz egg weight went flying off and took with it all of my running guides (it's ok if you're laughing). To add insult to injury, my wife asked me abou 31 times whether I was sure I should be test casting so hard while I was looking for the aforementioned guides. I told her that I thought so, but she thought I should ask someone who "knows what they're doing". So here I am asking the question.

The guides were in place with surgical tubing and masking tape and the previous casts went pretty well. I would say that I started with a 60% strength cast and the last one was about 90%.

Guidance, similar tales of woe, etc. would be much appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Test casting - how hard?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 08, 2013 07:35PM

The type of lure/sinker weight and applied effort in making a surf type cast generally requires more than a piece of surgical tubing or masking tape. Obviously, it everything went flying off, you were applying too much load for the guide attachment method you were using.

Posted by: James Whelan (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 08, 2013 08:03PM

I know the feeling Nate. Electrical tape works for me. When sliced down the middle of the roll with a razor it peels off in a thin, manageable width.

Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 08, 2013 11:57PM

Just be thankful the sinker didn't hit a passerby. A 2oz weight launched by a surf rod can be lethal.

For example: My brother (a FD Paramedic) told me of a surf fisherman at Jones Beach (NY) whose end tackle got snagged.
He raised his rod and applied full pressure to set it free.
Suddenly it did free up and the sinker came flying...
and sadly... hit him smack in the eye imbedding itself in his brain.
He was killed instantly.

Posted by: Nate Fess (---.wachovia.com)
Date: April 09, 2013 09:30AM

I will give electrical tape a go and see if I can keep the cost of a test cast under $20.

I defintely hear you on the safety concerns. Luckily for me there's a housing development that never got started near my house. They clear cut the land and laid out the streets but that's as far as they got. It's like having my own personal landing strip.

Posted by: Frank MacDonald (---.home1.cgocable.net)
Date: April 09, 2013 12:59PM

Don't you hate it when your wife is right and you know you will never here the end of it. Next time make sure she stays home LOL or you could just do what she told you to do it works for me.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 09, 2013 01:28PM

Nate,
I use 1/4 inch wide masking tape.
For the large guides with the long feet, I use two rods of tape. If I am going to test cast, I use at least 4 wraps of masking tape.

For the short running guides, I use just one row of masking tape.

One thing that I have found that is very very important is the use of:

1. Have a very very clean blank, with no oil, finger prints or anything else on the blank.

2. Then, when using tape to hold the guides to the blank, I will use my finger to pull off lengths of tape to temporarily stick them to the board on the top of my rod building bench which has been previously tacked off with masking tape. I leave a good length of tape on the board to use for taping the guide to the blank. I always handle the tape from one end of the tape with my fingers. But -- --- very important --- when using the tape to affix the guides in place --- NEVER-- use any part of the tape that has been touched by your fingers.
Your fingers have skin oil on them. If you let any portion of the tape containing skin oil touch your blank, you lose a great deal of the holding ability of the tape.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.hawaii.res.rr.com)
Date: April 10, 2013 05:29AM

I have had electrical tape come loose when casting on warm days and masking tape rip off. When I visited a friend in Australia, a rod was set up for me using PVC bagging tape. Although it is similar to electrical tape, I was able to cast all day in temperatures reaching 100 degrees without the tape coming loose. Cast to about 650 feet were made using the taped on guides. Since the tape is thin, several layers can be applied.

Here's a link to the tape that I recently purchased. I'm not sure if it is exactly the same as the tape used in Australia.
[www.findtape.com]-

Don

Don Becker

Posted by: Bill Cohen (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: April 10, 2013 04:14PM

try elastic thread it can be bought in Walmart for less than $3.00 you can wrap it on your guides cast and if there is any adjustments to be made the guide can be moved a 1/2 inch or so in either direction. I test all my surf casting rods that way.

Posted by: Mo Yang (120.96.251.---)
Date: April 14, 2013 10:29PM

By far the best tape I've found to secure guides is the aluminum tape. Super sticky.

Mo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster