I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

flex coat
Posted by: Gordon Stuart (---.home4.cgocable.net)
Date: April 08, 2013 06:40PM

can i get some help?
i resined a rod last night then went to bed and the rod slipped out of the dryer and now i have a big sag in it ...
what can i do to fix this ?
thank you in advance!!!
Gord

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: flex coat
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 08, 2013 06:53PM

Let it harden a bit. Then, use a razor blade to slice off the sag, and then use a sanding block and sand paper to sand the sag.

But even before doing that, double check the guide alignment and also check each guide for contamination from touching anything when the rod fell out of the dryer.

Roger

p.s.
I suspect that nearly all of us who have built rods for much time have had the same thing happen to them.

Date: April 08, 2013 07:02PM

Thank you Roger im glad it was only the but section but i do have one guide and it did not move ..but im going to do what you sudgested..thanks again

Gord

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 08, 2013 07:13PM

Also VERY IMPORTANT - Why did it slip out of the dryer ???

Fix this so it does not happen again

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Chris Herrera (---.sub-174-233-193.myvzw.com)
Date: April 08, 2013 08:04PM

+1 for Roger's and Bill's comments.....

Chris

Posted by: chris stevenson (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 08, 2013 09:14PM

rubber bands,rubber bands.i use an amtak dryer and since day one it would not hold a rod for more than a couple of rotations,i like the speed of this dryer for marbling,so i wrap a few rubber bands around the rod or insert and to the hooks on the chuck,never had a rod slip since.

www.southriverrodsllc.com

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: April 08, 2013 09:18PM

Buy a Flexcoat dryer next time ... rods don't slip out of them unless you do something TERRIBLY wrong.

Posted by: John Cates (---.lightspeed.austtx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 08, 2013 09:37PM

Gordon

We recommend using a small Nicholson mill file. It has always worked for us.

Also, we have never had a rod fall out of our Self Adjusting Chucks that come with our finishing motors. Click the link below to see them on our site.

[www.flexcoat.com]

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: John E Powell (---.buffalo.res.rr.com)
Date: April 08, 2013 10:29PM

Hm,

I can't help but comment on "...we have never had a rod fall out of our Self Adjusting Chucks that come with our finishing motors." and the seemingly incongruous "We recommend using a small Nicholson mill file. It has always worked for us." I can't help but wonder if you've never had a rod fall out, then why would you need to use a file (which has always worked for you)?

Sorry in advance if I am missing something here.

Date: April 09, 2013 12:17AM

Gordon,
Or, if you like, you can use a drum dryer as many of my clients use. No issue with the rod falling out of a chuck.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Roger

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: April 09, 2013 01:51AM

I use the Flex Coat dryer and have never had a rod come out of the chuck either. However, I have had sags sometimes in my finish when I leave the driver on a timer at night and during a storm the electricity goes off. It has happened to me a couple of times. Not too hard to visualize.

Date: April 09, 2013 02:05AM

One thing that I have seen happen to rods drying, is that the dryer motor and chuck, and the associated thread stand start walking across the table or bench on which they have been placed and end up falling off the edge of the table or bench.

So, if you use the small motor and chuck with a separate rod stand, it is a good idea to either weigh down the motor and rod stand end, or use C clamps to clamp each of them to the table or bench on which they have been placed.

If you have a dryer mounted on a wall or bench, i.e. screwed down, you will not have this issue.

REW

Posted by: Jerry Cook (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: April 09, 2013 09:01AM

Agree with Roger. I C clamp mine to the bench. No worries. Another thing, I NEVER leave the shop when I have a rod on the dryer. I'm always in sight of it, so IF, something happens, I can correct it right then. Roger, I keep telling myself I'm going to build me a drum dryer but never seem to find the time. I'm 5 rods behind now, so taking a day to build a drum dryer is out of the question. Also, I build a lot of custom fly rod grips and supply other builders. Again, behind on production. Do you build and sell drum dryers? If so, e mail me and let's talk about it. I'm interested.

Jerry

Posted by: Todd Kreikamp (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: April 09, 2013 09:04AM

John P-I think the file was a recomendation for eliminating the sag. Some sand, some file, some cut, some use all 3..... personal preference. John C was making 2 seperate recommendations but sounds like you combined them.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: April 09, 2013 10:20PM

Ellis Mendiola Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I use the Flex Coat dryer and have never had a rod
> come out of the chuck either. However, I have had
> sags sometimes in my finish when I leave the
> driver on a timer at night and during a storm the
> electricity goes off. It has happened to me a
> couple of times. Not too hard to visualize.

Eliis -

I would suggest a battery backup. I have my Flexcoat wall mount quad dryer plugged into a small (450VA) battery backup. That eliminate concerns about power outages AND any surges, lightning, etc. that might damage my favorite piece of equipment.

Jim -

Date: April 14, 2013 07:04PM

every body thankyou for all the input it is all great and yes i'm going to purchase a new dryer

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster