I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

spin reel for steelhead fishing
Posted by: Bill Cohen (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: April 06, 2013 09:27AM

Going to Steelhead fishing this fall trying to get prepared. We will be casting from shore with spinners . What size reel will I need? Read an article which said a size 20 reel with 8# momo was sufficient .Seemed a bit lite to me?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2013 08:06AM by Maryann Cohen.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: spin reel for steelhead fishing
Posted by: frank kurant (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: April 06, 2013 11:01AM

I would check with a tackle shop or guide in the area that you are going to fish, those steelies are like rockets and they are smart

Posted by: Michal Rozycki (---.neoplus.adsl.tpnet.pl)
Date: April 06, 2013 01:42PM

Do you know what size (or rather weight) spinners you will be using and what rods? As a rule of thumb and using Daiwa reel sizes as a benchmark, you can do as follows:

- rod up to 10 lb - reel size 1500-2000
- rod 12 lb - 17 lb - reel size 2500, max 3000
- rod 20 lb - 25 lb - reel size 3000 - 3500

Cheers,
Michal

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: April 06, 2013 11:10PM

A size 20 reel will be adaquate with 8 lb, but rarely so, especially in the heavier flows out west. The 25 or 30s aren't but an ounce heavier usually and give you 30 to 60 yds more capacity, usually with a bit stronger drag also with the increase in spool size. I wouldn't use 12 to 17 lb mono on my Diawa Fuego Magnesium 3000, Michal must have been quoting Power Pro line capabilities.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 07, 2013 01:15AM

FWIW, two of the daiwa spinning reels I have (bradia) hold a lot more line than the same size shimano reel does. The Bradia 3000 holds 200 meters of 12# mono but the stradic 3000 only holds 140 yards of 10# mono.

Not that this helps in any way. Can't say I have any idea what sized reel is needed for steelhead. Judging by the few steelhead rods I have I'd think a shimano 2500 at least and a 4000 would be better. The Saros is the best cheap reel I have used and the 4000 is rated at 240 yards of 8# mono. IIRC they run about $110 and they come with an extra spool.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.hawaii.res.rr.com)
Date: April 07, 2013 06:02AM

It all depends upon location and the rig that you are using. I assume Pacific, but I recall steelhead being mentioned in the Great Lakes.

If you're going on the west coast, steelhead can be caught from central California up through Alaska. Sizes run from half-pounders (about 2 lbs) up through 30+ lbs.

Steelhead are seasonal and they tend to follow Salmon runs. For this reason, lures that imitate roe work best. Another great lure/fly is an imitation shrimp. Gray body with small orange stripe.

8# mono is OK if you are going for the small fish. 10-12# in Washington state. And of course heavier line for the bigger fish.

Best wishes on your trip,
Don

Don Becker

Posted by: Jim Rippe (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 07, 2013 10:25AM

I fish the southern tributaries of Lake Michigan for Steelhead and salmon. I use the Pflueger Supreme XT size 9235. The primary bait I also use is a homemade Mepps style inline spinner. The streams around here are very narrow with a lot of timber in the streams so we do snag (the timber) very often. I could get by with the Pflueger Supreme XT size 9230 just for steelhead but I like the extra line capacity.

Posted by: Mark Mulanax (---.evrt.wa.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 07, 2013 03:59PM

I am going back a few years on my recommendation for a steelhead spinning reel so bear with me. I would suggest a reel sizre comparable to the old mitchell 300 series. and use for main line around 12 lb test- I have fished for steelhead in WA for about 50 years and have seen it all. (from light gear 2 lb to 40 lb test) i have even guided for several years

My prefernce is a good quality level wind (Shimano curado) and comparable rod (8'6" and up to 10'6") for the bigger rivers, small rivers I use a 7'0" rod)

(if building your own rod then I suggest a batson xst1024f blank or equal)for beginners but that being said it is important to know where you plan to steelhead. River names (Cowlitz in WA is a big river and Raging is a small river.

As for line no braid-braid does not bereak off and when you hang up casting you need to break and you WILL HANG UP)-use mono I use 10lb main line and 8 lb for leaders-

I would suggest you use 12 main and 10 leader but you can bump up to 14 and 10 or 12 leader

I can give you specific types of info but email me and please bear with me this week as we are moving

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.tmodns.net)
Date: April 08, 2013 07:25PM

X2 on the Pfleuger Supreme XT 9235 that Jim mentioned. Light and high perfoming for the price.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster