I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Newbie from Pittsburgh with a question
Posted by: John Kline (---.pitbpa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 05, 2013 12:03PM

Hello everyone. I am new to the site and fairly new to rod building. I have built 3 fly rods that have turned out pretty decent but do still have a long way to go. I am in the process of building a spinning rod with micro guides and then have another spinning and casting rod to do.

I am curious as to if anyone knows of anywhere around the pittsburgh area that has classes of some sort or and building shops that would assist me in my endeavor of becoming a better builder. All of my knowledge comes from reading books, forums and from videos on you tube. Therefore I would like to be able to actually in person talk with someone and see some things I am doing right and wrong and to also learn some more general knowledge. I am a "hands on learner" so this would be a big help for me.

Thanks
John

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Newbie from Pittsburgh with a question
Posted by: Sandy Harris (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: April 05, 2013 05:53PM

John:
I'm a new builder as well and was fortunate enough to take a Mudhole class. However, if you can't find a class or a mentor, use the internet. There are tons of videos that cover everything from the basics to the advanced. And don't be afraid to post specific questions on boards such as this one......then just start building. The more you do the better you will get. Strip older rods and practice wrapping guides. Thread is cheap. You can use dowell rods but I find that working with tapers and the smaller diameters of actual rods makes better practice.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: April 05, 2013 06:57PM

youtube has every thing on building you could ever want , an then some, on any one subject matter you want , they will have 4 or 5 post all doing the same thing just a little different give it a try
an what you can'tfind there this forum will get it for you SID

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Don Lukehart (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: April 05, 2013 08:09PM

Hi John:
I too am from Pittsburgh and there were three different rodbuilding classes years ago but now??? You might want to check with Hook and Hackle a sponsor on the left. They are located in Homestead,Pa. and may be able to help you.

Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.dhcp.fdul.wi.charter.com)
Date: April 06, 2013 01:19PM

John.
Mud Hole has a lot of tutorials that should be able to help you. check them out on the website. Their two day class is very good as day one you build an entire rod and day two there are demos on a lot of advanced techniques. Contact Mud Hole to see if they are coming to your area in the future. If not, spendig the extra $ to attend a Mud Hole class is well woth the expense.

Buzz

Posted by: Scott Hovanec (---.sub-70-199-0.myvzw.com)
Date: April 08, 2013 03:53PM

John, I am located in SWPA also. I have a small shop in my basement and would gladly show you what I know and answer any questions you might have.....a long as you dont mind being accosted by a few dogs!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster