I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Best Line for 9 weight St. Croix SCV Saltwater Fly
Posted by: Tony Scott (---.bal.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: April 05, 2013 11:57AM

Has anyone built one of these beautiful blue blanks? I am curious as to what types of line and what weights are working best. I built the thing thinking it was a 9 weight and it seems stouter than that. One person familiar with the blank told me that at 9 weight, it goes off the charts and you will need up to a 350 grain sinking line to make it perform.

Thanks,

Tony

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best Line for 9 weight St. Croix SCV Saltwater Fly
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 05, 2013 12:10PM

There is no standard definition for what constitutes a "9-weight" fly rod. What you have is indeed a 9-weight by the manufacturer's listing and it will indeed cast some amount of 9-weight line very well. That's the thing - you have to figure out how much 9-weight line it was designed to hold beyond the tip for optimal loading.

Most manufacturers label their saltwater fly rods differently than their freshwater models. For instance, the exact same blank you have may be listed as a 10-weight (or higher) in a freshwater model, but due to the longer distances expected to be cast when used in saltwater they drop the number a bit, usually one or two line sizes.

If they offered CCS ERN numbers for the blanks, you'd know at a glance what it would take. Failing that, you're going to have to rely upon the experience of those who may have tried one, but even then, when they tell you what line worked for them, you're going to have to ask "at what distance" in order to have that information do you any good.

Posted by: Tony Scott (---.mycingular.net)
Date: April 05, 2013 12:33PM

Tom-

Agreed. Just seeing what experience folks may have had.

Thanks!

Tony

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: April 05, 2013 01:37PM

Dry fly fishermen (may their tribe increase) frequently wish to try the salt - nine weights, etc. Most dry fly anglers do not double-haul or wish to do so. This makes it difficult to give even accomplished dry fly anglers advice about fly fishing the salt.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 06, 2013 10:05AM

best thing to do is try to locate several lines
Maybe a sporting store near you may let you cast several
A friend or friends that fly fish may be able to let you try some lines
St Croix is usually good on there line weight

But as said the only way to tell what line works well for the way you cast is to put them on the rod and cast it

Good luck

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 06, 2013 12:00PM

The line will depend upon how you intend to fish the rod. Many salt water approaches require getting down deep, this of course will require a heavy sinking line, and for a nine weight, 350 or 400 grain is not at all unusual.

I do not fish St. Croix rods, but the nine weight I use fishes well with 9 wt sinking lines, but requires a 10 wt floater to load properly.

Posted by: Todd Kreikamp (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: April 07, 2013 02:51PM

Used one for albie season this year. Loaded with SA 350 grain line. Great rod for what I use it for.

Posted by: Tony Scott (---.mycingular.net)
Date: April 07, 2013 04:25PM

Todd-

Someone else told me the same thing.

Thanks,

Tony

Posted by: Todd Kreikamp (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: April 08, 2013 01:20PM

I'll look at one of the other reels I sometimes use on it that has a floater. Pretty sure it is a Rio SW clouser 9wt. That clouser taper is tough to beat.

Posted by: Tony Scott (38.102.29.---)
Date: April 08, 2013 02:16PM

Thanks, Todd.

St. Crox told me they tested the blanks with the SA Saltwater.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster