I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Minima Guides for Fly Rods?
Posted by: Scott Kinney (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: April 04, 2013 06:02PM

I've been out of the loop for awhile (too much working and not enough fishing). Looking to build up a few fly rods for this spring. Rebuilding my 9'6" 6wt and then maybe a 10'0" 5wt too.

I've seen the Minima guides and like the idea. Can't tell the difference between the Minima 3s and Minima 4s. I like the look of the Minima 3 with gold ring.

Can someone let me know what a good guide setup would be using the Minima 3 gold ring? I have had good luck with Alconites as 16,12,8,7,6s on rods like these.
Also,what's corresponding tip model?

Thanks!

Scott Kinney
The Longest Cast Fly Rods
[www.thelongestcast.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Minima Guides for Fly Rods?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 04, 2013 06:05PM

Well, you certainly don't need all those sizes, and will have a straighter line path and less weight cutting out all the intermediate sizes. The line neither needs nor wants them - that sort of thing is for the human eye only.

I use the 4's because they're swaged on both sides, although I doubt you're going to lose any rings in the 3 series. On rods such as you mentioned, I'm most likely use a 12 stripping guide in a high frame spinning model, then drop to the same style in a size 8, then use size 5's or 6's from there on out, as many as needed for adequate stress distribution. They're very light, by the way.

Date: April 04, 2013 06:34PM

Thanks for the quick reply, Tom!

Yeah, I've always tapered them like that for aesthetics. I've got a few rods I've built up with as few as 7 guides, going 16 - 10 - 6's, they cast great, but honestly, they just look wonky. Same reason I don't fish flourescent colored fly lines...

It seems like I could get away with the Minima 3 #5s as I am not running any multitip lines on these rods.

What do you suggest for a tip?

Scott Kinney
[www.thelongestcast.com]

Date: April 04, 2013 06:36PM

You can use the same Minima style or add a titanium SIC top from the company of your choice.

By the way, the Minima's due to their very thin ring, are about a half mm larger in ID than similar ceramic guides.

Date: April 04, 2013 06:43PM

Okay, so a #5 Minima 3 would be a good match for a #6 SIC or whatnot tip. Got it.

Next thing you know, a fly rod labeled as a 5wt fly rod won't be a 5wt fly rod at all... :)

Scott Kinney
[www.thelongestcast.com]

Date: April 04, 2013 07:03PM

Thanks Tom!

Next question - who sells these, and might also have PacBay Quickline blanks?

Scott Kinney
[www.thelongestcast.com]

Date: April 04, 2013 07:12PM

There's a host of sponsors to the left - Bingham, Mud Hole, Schneiders, etc. I don't want to leave anybody out, so you might check the Pac Bay website and see if they have a dealer list there. I think they do.

Posted by: Greg Foy (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: April 04, 2013 09:01PM

I just finished a PacBay quickline 10' 4 wt and it feels great casting a 4 wt line. I don't know if the 10' 5 wt behave similarly. I highly recommend it.

Greg
Aptos, CA

Posted by: Dick Ross (---.sub-70-199-132.myvzw.com)
Date: April 04, 2013 10:21PM

Utmost Enterprises who are sponsors here can get you both the minima and quick line blanks. I have built several of the 10' 5wts for pontoon boat fishing.They are great!

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: April 05, 2013 11:55AM

For some reason 10 lb. monofilament usually isn't, 5 wt. rods usually aren't, and 3 mm. guides apparently are not either. Marketing, maybe. Anyway, a true 3mm. I.D. ring guide equates to a bit more than twelve hundredths of an inch.
You could save yourself a lot of time, expense, and aggravation by testing how smoothly your favorite line/leader junction passes through the smallest opening in your guide train before you build your rod. I wish I had done so before I built out a Gatti blank. It was sweet to cast but infuriating to fish.

Posted by: Todd Theodore (---.fuse.net)
Date: April 05, 2013 07:34PM

These Minima's look very cool for fly rods. I want to give them a try. Probably rewrap my CTS Affinity 7 wt.
Tom, I see your recommending the high framed 4's for strippers. What's the double swaged thing mean? The 3's look like the same guide other than the gold ring.
Then which for the runners? The 4's look like they're a single foot wire guide and the 3's have their fly guide w/ ring & large foot. Any thoughts?
And what about those crazy tips? Are they meant to take line away from the tip? Not sure about the design.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2013 07:36PM by Todd Theodore.

Date: April 05, 2013 08:53PM

The 3's have the rings pushed into the frame and one side is folded back over the frame. The 4's have both sides pushed back over the frame. I don't believe the 3's are experiencing any problems, but the 4's absolutely can't loose a ring out of the frame. I realize they don't come in all the various colors, but I've never really cared what color the guides are - I get my colors from the thread.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster