I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

9' 6 wt. fly blank - who's got one worth raving about?
Posted by: Bryon Anderson (---.dsl.klmzmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 04, 2013 12:14AM

Greetings,

Well, it's been a while since I did any rod-building, but the time has come once again. I'm looking for a 9' 6-7 wt. 4-piece blank that I can pick up for $75-100.This will be used primarily for smallmouth, but also occasionally for throwing large streamers on a sink-tip from a boat.
I haven't been in the market for a blank in a while - the last one I built on was a Pacific Bay Quickline series 9' 8 wt., and I have been very impressed with that. Back in the day I would have gone right for the good old Tiger's Eye, but they seem to have disappeared. If any of you have recently run across a blank in my price range that has really impressed you, I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks -
Bryon

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 9' 6 wt. fly blank - who's got one worth raving about?
Posted by: Eric MONTACLAIR (---.fbx.proxad.net)
Date: April 04, 2013 01:06AM

If the Quickline action is good for you, way not stay with Quickline blank ?

The MHX Fly F906-4-MHX IS very good too [www.emfishing.fr]

Posted by: Jerry Cook (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: April 04, 2013 11:51AM

Well, I hate to be a spoil sport here, but I'm a huge fan of the Sage VXP. I sell a lot of rods built on that blank. I've fished it a lot and love it. At the top of my list is the Sage ONE. If you are looking for distance and accuracy, this is the rod. Yes, it is not cheap, but in my book those two rods are two of the best out there.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: April 04, 2013 01:02PM

I have a fly rod which I built on a four piece 6wt. MHX blank and I'm happy with it. It casts a 7wt. Cortland 444 12' sink tip 80' without any fuss and the blank is in your price range.

Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.100-30-64.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: April 04, 2013 02:14PM

I'd go back to the Quickline if you were happy with it. I too, built an 8wt for a friend and got to fish it on our trip to Alaska last year. If feels like and casts like a much more expensive rod. Nice gloss black finish too.

MHx is also good choice.

I never did like the Tiger Eyes. They were cheap, but heavy and slow. Just not my cup of tea.

Drew

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.dhcp.wrbg.mo.charter.com)
Date: April 04, 2013 07:06PM

Bryon,
You might look at the Cabela's PT+ rod blanks.
Very smooth casting, US made and on clearance in the bargain basement.
Very attractive price for an excellent blank.

Posted by: Todd Kreikamp (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: April 05, 2013 09:44AM

One of my favorites is the saltwater 6 from St. Croix, 5FS906.4. One of the best rods I have thrown for 200-250grain sink tip lines. I use it for shad in the James river, specks, reds, schoolie stripers etc... here in the lower Chesapeake. Higher price point but I'd put it right up there with some of the others. Another line of blanks you don't hear much about are the Beaulah blanks. The Platinum series are phenomenal, as are the Bluewater and Guide series. The Guide Series comes in closer to your price point I think right around $145.00. Angler's Workshop has them. Never heard a bad thing said about the Quickline from PacBay but have not built or thrown one yet.

Date: April 05, 2013 12:38PM

Any fly rod blank listing for less than $200? $300? was probably made in Asia, where the exact same blank may be sold to any number of brand-name retail importers. No insult to Asian manufacturers, who currently produce the finest smart phones, computers, and T.V. sets in the world; products which are far more complex and technologically difficult to produce than rod blanks. The provenance of many rod blanks is carefully disguised.
It's just that promoting price and brand to sustain the fly fishing industry relies upon a sinking ship, inhabited by a fickle and decreasing number of plush converts. How long before an intergalactic record holder post 900 lb. marlin caught on 3X tippit -with the assistance of six flying gaffs?

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 06, 2013 05:39PM

Phil, what is your point?

Date: April 07, 2013 10:33AM

Phil:

Anglers should exercise more judgment and practical common sense and less ego and elitism because the public image of sport fishing will determine the future of sport fishing. Those who claim to "catch" sport fish weighing hundreds of pounds on four-pound-test line promote the image of sport fishermen as insincere braggarts. Anglers whose priority is continually purchasing and displaying the newest and most expensive gear reenforce the image of sport fishermen as spendthrift twits.

eg: "Bone-jarring hook sets [on #4 line]"; running a $30,000 boat with a 250 h.p motor at 70 m.p.h. to catch a 4 lb. bass - and glorifying the act ; "The strongest 10 pound test line in history"; "the rod which re-defines sensitivity and accuracy [and price]"; fishing uniforms apparently modeled after NASCAR uniforms [?!] - and on and on. Observant sport fishermen can surely provide scores of further examples of patent foolishness promoted by and about sport fishing and fishermen. My point is that unless this silly nonsense is called out occasionally it will continue to proliferate, while the reputation and future of sport fishermen will continue to decline. Excuse my rant, but I fear the day when serious anglers will deny their involvement in sport fishing for fear of embarrassment.

Posted by: John Van Emmerik (---.mycingular.net)
Date: April 07, 2013 12:41PM

I have a 6 wt. 9 ft. MHX and a 7 wt. 9 ft. Quickline. I like them both and they seem similar in that they are light weight, fast without being too fast and feel light in the tip. Good all around performers.
And they're nice quality blanks that are straight with good ferrule fit. Also have a Dan Craft FT 6 wt. 9 footer that is super fast and stiff, maybe too much of a good thing. But right now I'm using it at Pyramid lake in Nevada to launch big flies with sinking shooting heads or long leader indi rigs, where it's windy & cold and big mean Cutthroat swim around. This is where the FT is superb, a total banzai casting machine.
Lots of good choices but the MHX and Quickline (throw in Rainshadow RX7/8) are readily available from reputable companies and give you about the best performance per dollar that's available.

Posted by: Bryon Anderson (---.ssa.gov)
Date: April 08, 2013 11:59AM

Thank you gentlemen for your replies and suggestions, they are much appreciated.

Jerry - I agree with you that the Sage VXP or ONE blanks would probably suit my purpose nicely, but as they both are unfortunately at least double or triple my working blank budget, they are not really options for me at this point.

Phil Ewanicki - I read your replies several times each; I appreciate you sharing your thoughts on the future of sportfishing, but I'm not sure what they had to do with my question, sorry.

After reading all the suggestions, I think I will most likely go with another Pac Bay Quickline, as I already have one of those and know that I like it. However, I will comparison-shop with the other suggested blanks as well.

Thanks again to all who replied!

Date: April 09, 2013 10:53AM

Byron:

Sorry to be so obtuse. I appreciate and respect the fact that you will stick to a budget for your tackle in the face of all the pressure to spend three or five or seven times as much for a blank which "feels" better but in all probability shows no significant difference in objective test measurements. I fear fly fishing is becoming increasingly a sport of "champions," "record holders," and Minnie-Pearl -type conspicuous consumers. I hope not. I hope instead there are more folks like you who enjoy rod building and fly fishing: relaxing, thoughtful, and reasoned activities - not a frantic pursuit of profit, fame, and status.

Posted by: Bryon Anderson (---.dsl.klmzmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 09, 2013 11:05PM

Phil,

Thanks for your reply and for clarifying your point. I really have no choice but to stick to my budget for rod building, and for all my other fishing gear as well. I'm fortunate enough to have a modest amount to spend on such luxuries after the house, car, kids' needs and all the rest is paid for, and I'm grateful for that. Even if I had the money, I could never see myself dropping the better part of a grand on a fly rod when I know I can build one for around $100-200 that will do everything I need it to do and be a pleasure to use, especially when I believe that the bulk of the difference in price between my rods and the high-dollar sticks would mostly be paying for unconditional guarantees, full-page color ads in fly fishing magazines, sales reps' commissions and name-dropping power. I feel very, very lucky to have been forced to learn to fly fish and build rods on a shoestring budget, because it taught me that this sport can be thoroughly enjoyed and done well on a working class income. If I hadn't been looking to save money, I would probably have never discovered the joys of tying flies, building rods, furling leaders and all the rest of it.
I have a friend who is a rep for one of the big name fly rod companies -- one of the biggest in fact. He spends thousands of dollars on gear every year and fishes all over the country. We don't fish together than often, and whenever we do get together he always seems stunned to learn that I'm still fishing the same 7 or 8 rods I've had since we met over 10 years ago. He aquires more rods, reels and specialty fly lines in a single year than I will in the next decade. He believes that this makes him a "serious" fly fisherman, but he knows little or nothing about the natural world in which he does all this "serious" fishing -- he couldn't care less about insects, birds, trees, flowers, etc. I once pointed out a Blue Heron to him and his only comment was, "I don't like those birds. They eat my fish." I once tried to describe for him a fly pattern I was working on, using well-known patterns as references, and he stopped me, saying that all he knew about flies was that "the fish bite on the pointy end." I'm not saying there's anything "wrong" with his approach to the sport, but if I had to choose, I would much rather be on a budget but feel as intimately connected to the natural world as I do when I step into a river over being well-heeled and oblivious to anything but "the bottom line" (how many fish caught, rods owned, etc).
I think there are a lot of people who fish for the same reasons I do, and that have been led to things like rod-builidng because of those reasons. They just aren't as visible/audible as the big-money, big-name, big-ego types. That's why I love forums like this one -- you find a lot of those folks in places like this. :)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster