I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Epoxy Brush
Posted by: Forrest Peters (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: April 02, 2013 02:05PM

I do have a problem finding the perfect brush for finish work. I have tried many and use the epoxy cleaner after ward and they still get ruined. Any help would be much appreciated.

Lone Wolf Rods
"Keep your powder dry and your lines wet"
God Bless

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Epoxy Brush
Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: April 02, 2013 02:08PM

Throw away brushes here...no need to clean and are super cheap.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 02, 2013 02:15PM

Just leave teh brush in teh epoxy cleaner and there won't be a problem. I use the same brush for hundreds of rods over the course of years that way.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: April 02, 2013 02:36PM

Use a good quality Sable brush. After use, squeeze out all excess epoxy several times between a paper towel, vigorously swirl the brush in the brush cleaner, again squeeze out the bristles between a paper towel, repeat the swirling in the brush cleaner. Check to see if the bristles are soft and pliable, let dry in the open air before putting it away and it will last for years. I have used mine for well over 40 years without having to replace them.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 02, 2013 02:46PM

I'd like to recommend the U-40 Brush Cleaner. Wish I hadn't waited so long before I started using it. I'll never bother cleaning a brush again and don't expect I'll ever have to replace another one. And, the stuff doesn't evaporate. A single bottle may last you for several years.

I like Duro-Art flat ox hair brushes. They cost a couple bucks apiece. The 3/8th and 1/4 inch sizes do pretty much everything I need to do insofar as finishing thread wraps.

Date: April 02, 2013 02:55PM

I like a stiffer flat edge brush in a variety of lengths. I spend $7 at the Micheals or JoAnns on a package of cheap-o brushes, tehre's like 15 brushes in there a variety of sizes. I through the big ones out, and keep the small ones. I use the one that is slightly smaller thanthe width of teh wrap I'm doing, so I can quickly coat it. FOr Dec WRaps I use one that is about 1/2" wide. I also trim teh fibers so they are not so thick. YOu're not painting, you are transferring epoxy from teh mixing cup to teh thread.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 02, 2013 03:12PM

I go to Michaels Crafts and pick up a package of brushes. I typically pay $3 for 100 brushes.
I never clean the brushes. Use once and throw away.

When a person applies finish, the brush never really touches the blank anyway. As Mr. Kirkman has suggested many times in the past. Load the brush with finish, hold the brush close to the turning rod and let the epoxy start to flow from the brush to the rod. Move over and repeat.

About the only real requirement that there is for a brush, is that it NOT lose bristles and end up in the finish.

Never brush the finish. Let the turning rod level and let the epoxy flow.

Be safe
Roger

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.lightspeed.bcvloh.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 02, 2013 05:03PM

I use the throw aways also. Small artist type for guides and 3/8`` acid brushes for butt wraps. I just bought some today at .13 cents each.

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: Forrest Peters (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: April 02, 2013 05:45PM

Thanks for the information gentleman. Keep your powder dry and your lines wet

Lone Wolf Rods
"Keep your powder dry and your lines wet"
God Bless

Posted by: Walt Natzke (170.146.225.---)
Date: April 02, 2013 05:59PM

I use 1/4" taklon square shaders from various makers. Taklon is a golden colored nylon that is very fine but stiff enough to move the epoxy around as needed.

Walt Natzke
Ripon, CA

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 02, 2013 08:23PM

+ 1 on the Taklon brushes!

Rog

Posted by: Dale Holmes (---.vic.bigpond.net.au)
Date: April 03, 2013 03:48AM

I just use disposable brushes. I like the 1/8" ones with the purple handle the best. In the beginning I was using acetone to clean my brushes, because I only had a couple, but I realised I was using 40 cents worth of acetone to clean a 20 cent brush!

For the small amount of rod building I do (like 1-2 rods per year), I think its far easier to just use disposables, and it gives me the peace of mind that there will be no contamination from poor cleaning.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 03, 2013 11:00AM

Dale,
It doesn't matter if you do a thousand rods a month.

A 20 cent brush on a $400 rod is just part of the "shop supplies" so to speak.

Your point is well taken. Why spend 40 cents to clean a 20 cent brush, whether you use 10 brushes a year, or 5000 brushes a year. Just part of overhead.

Good luck
Roger

Date: April 03, 2013 12:59PM

I guess the answer to that is how much time you spend applying finish, and how much your time is worth. Those throw away brushes are difficult to use, they are too soft and flimsy, and you cannot apply enough finish with one dip of the brush - especailly on larger rods or on Decorative sections of the rod, like coating a wrap or a decal.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: April 03, 2013 07:00PM

Billy is right on target, the throw away's are either too soft, or to stiff with thick bristles When someone says the brush never touches the wrap or blank, noting could be further from the truth!!.

Posted by: ernest sebastian (---.fast.net.id)
Date: April 04, 2013 01:02AM

X 2 for taklon brush
after used I dip in paint thinner. after 10min i washed with dishwasher soap couple times
it will ready to used again in the future

Posted by: Chris McDaniel (---.lightspeed.brhmal.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 08, 2013 04:25PM

Just upgraded to a sable brush from the disposables, I have not used it yet but my question is after you soak the brush in the brush cleaner what do you need to do before using it to apply finish? On the disposables when my finish starts setting up and not flowing right I toss the old brush and get a new one for the new batch would you just clean the sable brush in between batches of finish like moving from the guide wraps to the butt wraps ect?
THanks

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster