I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cork Grips
Posted by: Forrest Peters (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: April 02, 2013 01:49PM

I have heard of people putting a finish on cork grips. I use cork sealer. Is there anything better that is on the market?

Lone Wolf Rods
"Keep your powder dry and your lines wet"
God Bless

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cork Grips
Posted by: Chris Herrera (---.sub-174-255-176.myvzw.com)
Date: April 02, 2013 02:03PM

Forrest,

I have used cork sealer, thinned down thread epoxy, and now I use Permagloss. Each one looks a little different, to me, and I like the permagloss the best. Can't say its any better then the others, though I think it may be tougher.

Chris

Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: April 02, 2013 02:10PM

If you don't want to encase your cork with an epoxy, the other popular choice is birchwood casey tru oil.

Posted by: Col Chaseling (101.174.54.---)
Date: April 02, 2013 03:06PM

Hi Forrest,
I normally use U-40 cork sealer and find it's good for what I want. I did one with permagloss to cover a grip I stained with wood stain. It has a similar feel to the cork sealer. It's pretty tough stuff so it should last a long time.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.lightspeed.bcvloh.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 02, 2013 05:07PM

Tru Oili s my choice with cork seal as #2. I have used epoxy but was not satisfied with the high glossy look.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: April 02, 2013 05:15PM

Personally I put nothing on my cork unless asked for it...I like the natural feel of the cork.

Posted by: Forrest Peters (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: April 02, 2013 05:48PM

Tru oil that is like line seed oil for gun stocks right?

Lone Wolf Rods
"Keep your powder dry and your lines wet"
God Bless

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 02, 2013 06:11PM

No, it's a polymerized oil, which makes it more like a varnish. It dries hard and with multiple coats can be used to build some depth.

Posted by: John E Powell (---.buffalo.res.rr.com)
Date: April 02, 2013 06:25PM

Forrest,

Tom is partially correct and so are you. It is a polymerized linseed oil. You might want to do a Google search for linseed oil and mold. You can choose among 3 mil hits describing some of the problems with linseed oil in a marine environment. Tung oil based finishes do not have these problems. Do people use true oil all the time without problems? Yes. Does their success insure your success?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2013 06:26PM by John E Powell.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 02, 2013 07:59PM

I thin out thread finish almost watery put it on a quick turner
I have used lacquer thinner but now find i like Klass Kote urethane reducer more It cuts well And the finish still sets at the same time as without it After several coats trying to fill the nucks and crannies After final coat i sand with a fine steel wool to take the shine off

Like the golden color it gives cork

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 02, 2013 08:20PM

Forrest

I am just now experimenting with coating my first self turned cork grip set. I wanted to put something on my grips to bring up the contrast on bi-color cork. I have made some test corks using Birchwood Casey Tru-oil, Birchwood Casey Filler & Sealer, and another gunstock finish called Tru-coat. I like both Tru-oil and Tru-coat so far. Both darkened the overall color a few shades but brought up the contrast in colors that I was looking for without leaving a shiny hard "finish" on the grips. I intend to try a few more products in the near future.

Rog

Posted by: Dick Ross (---.sub-70-199-131.myvzw.com)
Date: April 02, 2013 10:51PM

Straight cork I leave alone. Burl cork with accents,especially birch bark, I use Tru oil. With my carbon fiber and cork I use wetting epoxy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster