I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Burned up lathe motor
Posted by: James Newsome (---.244.204.207.client.dyn.strong-sf33.reliablehosting.com)
Date: April 02, 2013 12:47PM

I have one of the original JET 1014 mini lathes. I think this was the first one on the market. Probably had it for a dozen years. After much good service the motor has finally given up the ghost! Before I go through a JET dealer for a replacement, I was wondering if anyone knew of a place that sold similar replacements or upgrades. My motor doesn't have any identification information on it, maybe it did when new but all that has been worn off by now. I could get the original paperwork and find it though.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Burned up lathe motor
Posted by: Fred Cory (---.cisco.com)
Date: April 02, 2013 12:53PM

Try a site called Surplus Depot - they carry a huge selection of motors - usually at good prices

Posted by: Forrest Peters (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: April 02, 2013 01:45PM

I would look at Grainger, or Bodine motors. I live in Wisconsin I do not know if they are everywhere but they have a good web site. Also try Northern supply.

Lone Wolf Rods
"Keep your powder dry and your lines wet"
God Bless

Posted by: James Roper (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: April 02, 2013 01:55PM

James,

Penn State Industries has a variable speed replacement..[www.pennstateind.com]. Does your motor have a start capacitor and have you checked it?

Posted by: James Roper (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: April 02, 2013 01:55PM

double post

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2013 01:57PM by James Roper.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 02, 2013 02:15PM

I would call Jet first and see what they say, what they recommend, and I'd try to find out the info on teh motor. Then I'd see how much it would cost, and how difficult it will be to replace.

Would it be possible to somehow take a motor with a 3/4HP motor, and put a 1HP (or more) motor into it?

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: April 02, 2013 02:40PM

Forrest is right, check Grainger, every time I have ever ordered from them I had the order delivered within 48 and sometimes 24 hours.

Posted by: James Newsome (---.244.204.207.client.dyn.strong-sf33.reliablehosting.com)
Date: April 02, 2013 02:43PM

I will check a few things and see what can be done. Thanks for the suggestions. Looks like I have some options.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 02, 2013 03:15PM

[www.ereplacementparts.com]

[www.amazon.com]

So the current motor is a 1/2 hp - end mounted motor with a pretty long shaft. It is likely to be a 3600 rpm motor as well.

Here is a variable speed DC motor and controller for $120 - from Penn State Industries:

[www.pennstateind.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2013 03:20PM by roger wilson.

Posted by: William (Bill) Jones (---.pool.starband.net)
Date: April 02, 2013 05:44PM

I would have the motor rebuilt. A craftsman rebuilding a motor will make sure all the clearances are right, etc, etc. Kinda like getting a custom made rod. Every quality rebuilt motor outlasted the factory many times. Most times the rebuild cost is less than a new one & you will be certain it will fit. Now if you need a bigger motor, or you want a variable speed, a rebuild won't do. Just my $0.02.
Bill

Posted by: Bob Jumper (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: April 02, 2013 07:11PM

I just received a new jet1014 last week. Not sure if this helps

The current motor they are running is 1/2 hp, 60 Hz, 126 DC, 3 Amp, 1800 Rpm.

Posted by: Ron Hossack (---.spkn.qwest.net)
Date: April 06, 2013 08:44AM

You can do what I did for a motor for a lthe I need to fix ... check your local craigslist and find someone giving away a treadmill. They have DC varible speed motors. I got one for simply hauling it away.

Posted by: James Whelan (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 06, 2013 09:20PM

Ron Hossack Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You can do what I did for a motor for a lthe I
> need to fix ... check your local craigslist and
> find someone giving away a treadmill. They have
> DC varible speed motors. I got one for simply
> hauling it away.

Ron,

I also lucked into a tread mill motor for the taking. It is a permanent magnet 90 Volt DC motor. Hooked up to a 12 Volt transformer, it turns it slowly. So, it is my belief that it is good to go. However, the assembly is not complete and probably needs one of these . . .

[www.batteryspace.com]

Do you have any advise for how to hook one of these motors up?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster