I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Best Grips for Trolling??
Posted by: Manuel Martinez (---.net)
Date: April 02, 2013 09:21AM

I was looking at the Rodmaker article on making leather bound grips for offshore trolling rods. Getting ready to make a set for four rods I am working on. But first I wonder if any of the members know if anything better has come along in all these years for heavy duty use? Is hypalon as good or better than leather? What about heavy duty EVA? Or even naked cork coating with a topcoat? I want to make something that will last for many years and not need redoing. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best Grips for Trolling??
Posted by: Harry Kelly (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 02, 2013 09:47AM

If you are going to use the rod for HD trolling I would use a SLICK BUTT so the rod holder doesn't destroy the handle..........

Posted by: Manuel Martinez (---.net)
Date: April 02, 2013 09:55AM

I only use Unibutts. I was talking about the foregrip. Thanks.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 02, 2013 10:13AM

Firm EVA works well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2013 05:32PM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 02, 2013 10:25AM

Hypalon is a bit on the soft side for grips on these type rods. The leather bound grips have stood the test of time for durable, long term coverings for big game trolling rods.

There are two other options I'd suggest you look into, not that they're better, just different. First would be a flocked grip. Next up would be a naked cork grip made from one or a combination of the exotic cork types available today. These are little heavier than regular cork, but extremely rigid and reasonably tough.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 02, 2013 11:16AM

like Tom said with the cork
Maybe cleared
Or maybe wood To ease weight bore it out and glue an arbor in it Good clear coat over it

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Todd Kreikamp (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: April 02, 2013 12:10PM

Eva shaped the way you want then covered with some flocked shrink wrap is a great alternative to the leather wrapped grip. One thing I do is spray the EVA grip with 3M Super 77 adhesive, then place shrink wrap over and heat. Never had the wrap slip or change using this method. Think K. Batson shared this technique with me a few years back.

Posted by: Fred Cory (---.cisco.com)
Date: April 02, 2013 01:06PM

I would second the EVA with Shrink Wrap flocking for durable, easy clean, no maintenance foregrips.

If you are willing to take a bit more care of the grips, leather wrapped cork is definitely classy and holds up well if properly cared for/stored

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: April 02, 2013 01:28PM

This all really depends on how fancy/custom you want to go.

At the upper echelon you have leather wrapped grips. After that comes flocked grips. Then just plain EVA. (there are certainly other options in there, but these will be the most common)

As for durability, I have always purchased rods with EVA or built rods with EVA. I have never replaced a grip.

I'm not a fan of hypalon. Always felt it was too "squishy" for my tastes and style of stand-up fishing.

Now...if you are talking TRUE trolling rods for heavy tackle/chair use, anything will work (including hypalon) as you don't really use the forward grip anyway...IF you fish the chair properly.

Posted by: Dick Ross (---.ien.ada.in.ena.net)
Date: April 02, 2013 06:48PM

The trolling rods I build all have a CF butt grip with EVA fore grips. Slide out of rod holders well and have a nice comfortable grip in the front to hold on to

Posted by: Col Chaseling (101.174.54.---)
Date: April 03, 2013 12:37AM

Has anyone tried a carbon sleeved foam core grip? You can taper or shape it anyway you like. I've got to rebuild my 30lb game rod shortly and I was thinking of going with that for a foregrip and a slick butt for the rear. Might be too firm with no give but interested to hear anyones comments.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: April 03, 2013 02:22AM

Hello Col

I would be worried about the arbors crushing under heavy pressure, but 30# might be alright however I would worry about heaver stuff.

Tight Wraps.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Mike Pedersen (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: April 03, 2013 09:29AM

It really depends on the blank. Foam Core based grips are fine in applications where there will be minimal flex/bend in that section of the blank. They will definitely wallow and become loose if flexed often or too much.

Shorter grips of 3"-5" can lessen or even eliminate the impact of flex. In the right situation a 4" long by 1.3" diameter skinned core with X-Grip is my personal favorite.

Riley Rods-Hard Core Grips to Go!-----Carbon Fiber - Composite Grip Store-----Capt Mike's Blog-----No Excuses Fishing Charters

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hsd1.sc.comcast.net)
Date: April 03, 2013 10:50AM

To be honest, all the suggestions given are complete speculation since we don't really know the the actual application of this trolling rod.

Is it a stand-up rod, a light tackle chair rod, or a heavy tackle rod meant for a full chair w/foot rest. All of these rods will be fished differently yet all are considered "trolling" rods.

A stand-up rod and chair rod that is basically under 80# need comfortable grips as they will be used during the entire fight. Length of grip will be different between the two styles, and the length will also vary depending on length of butt used (I saw where the OP uses uni-butts).

A heavy tackle (80# +) full chair rod...and by that I mean where the foot rest is used in the proper way as they are designed to be used...in this fishing situation you don't even need a forward grip as you never touch it during the fight anyway. The grip is only useful when transferring the rod from the rod holder to the chair. After that you only touch the top of the reel and the reel handle...you don't pump the rod by using the grip at all.

We can give suggestions all day long, and maybe some of them will get lucky and be the right suggestions...but more information is needed to narrow things down and really get to the meat of the subject.

Posted by: Col Chaseling (101.174.54.---)
Date: April 03, 2013 03:03PM

Hi Robert and Mike,
Thanks for your comments on my bit. The blank is a stoker and doesn't bend much into the foregrip. However I pefer fairly long grips at least 1.25 in diameter on game rods so I might have to reconsider. Might give it a go just to see what happens.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 08, 2013 09:15AM

You should be better with something that flexes well Since you like long grips
Cork or eva may be your best bet
I think Billy V sells blocks that are 2X 2" The shrink tube may also be a good idea

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster