I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

mixing cups for epoxy
Posted by: Walt Foreman (---)
Date: April 01, 2013 11:03AM

So I'm in the middle of several rods, including five for paying customers, and I made the dumb move of forgetting to clean my 2.5 oz. mixing cup that came with my electric epoxy mixer (which works great by the way) that I bought from Mudhole. I had forgotten to clean the other cup that came with the mixer a couple days before, so now I have no clear-plastic 2.5 oz. cup that came with the mixer. My question is, will any plastic cup that size work, or is that a certain type of plastic that won't cause problems with the epoxy? The next question would be, is there any sort of chain store that carries them, or am I stuck waiting for three days to get some from Mudhole or some other online merchant?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2013 11:04AM by Walt Foreman.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: mixing cups for epoxy
Posted by: ernest sebastian (---.fast.net.id)
Date: April 01, 2013 11:12AM

pour acetone in it, wait few hour and you can peel the epoxy inside

Posted by: Scott Hovanec (---.sub-70-199-1.myvzw.com)
Date: April 01, 2013 11:22AM

I never clean the cups. Get many many mixes out of them before there is too much residue for them to work effectively. I switched over to smaller Solo cups once my original 2 were done.

Posted by: Peter Chan (---.cncdnh.east.myfairpoint.net)
Date: April 01, 2013 11:31AM

Last summer, I purchased a bag of 200, 1 ounce translucent plastic portion cups from the GFS restaurant supply store for just $3 compared to the going rate through other sources! I know they sold many sized cups (1/2 to 4 oz cups) in a variety of quantities (100, 200, 500 etc). You just throw them out after you are done using a batch of epoxy.

Posted by: Chad Huderle (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: April 01, 2013 11:43AM

Same as Scott, I've been using the 3oz Solo Ultra Colors plastic cups with zero issues.

Thanks,
Chad Huderle

Huderle Custom Rods
Prior Lake, MN

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 01, 2013 11:56AM

I just went to the supermarket and picked up a bag of 500 2 oz cups for $3.

Plastic cups are readily available at the supermarket.

I have also picked up cups at the local deli for a $1 or $2 for a couple hundred sample cups in the 2 or 3 oz size.

Acetone or other strong solvents will cut right though these plastic cups, but they work very well for finishing epoxy.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: April 01, 2013 12:20PM

No "magical plastic" cups for epoxy work.

I used to just bring home 2oz plastic souffle cups from my restaurant. You can buy them in groceries, Sam's, Costco, etc. They are cheap. Most folks that use electric mixers just stick the cup in, mix, and discard after. I have never cleaned a mixing cup. I also do not have acetone on my workbench.

Posted by: Frank MacDonald (---.home1.cgocable.net)
Date: April 01, 2013 12:39PM

Lots of cups at the dollar stores

Posted by: frank kurant (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: April 01, 2013 11:14PM

I use the little plastic cups that are available at the local drug store,they are the same ones that come on top of some cough syrup bottles,they hold 2 tablespoons and cheap

Posted by: Walt Foreman (66.4.9.---)
Date: April 04, 2013 10:51AM

Thanks guys, much appreciated!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster