I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Microwave guide spacing
Posted by: Peter Appel (---.blrgga.dsl.dynamic.tds.net)
Date: March 31, 2013 10:30AM

Hi folks,

Finally getting to set up my first Microwave guide system - the small one from American Tackle. According to the AmTac site and the postings I've searched, the stripper should be about 19.5 in. from the front lip of the fully extended spool, then 11 in. to the second guide and 9 in. to the first running guide. When I set it up that way, there is a pronounced drop in the sight line at the second guide - it doesn't line up in a bull's-eye, but is quite a bit lower than the line from the small ring of the stripper to the first running guide. Moving the second and third guide to make them line up yields some pretty weird guide spacings, to say the least. Are the rings of the Microwave system supposed to line up in a classic bull's-eye, or is the irregular sight line the way it's supposed to be?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Microwave guide spacing
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 31, 2013 11:37AM

You're going to have to ask one of the guys from American Tackle and it may be tomorrow before they're around. In the meantime, just for kicks, you might try both ways and cast each one.

Posted by: Peter Appel (---.blrgga.dsl.dynamic.tds.net)
Date: March 31, 2013 12:13PM

Thanks, Tom. I did add a 16Y guide as a second guide and moved the 6M to the third guide, which made the sight line fall into place with the fourth guide as the first runner, and it cast very well, but I guess I'll reset to the specified spacing and try that.

Posted by: Lou Auret (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: March 31, 2013 12:41PM

Peter, each blank has a different taper.
So the spacing given i have found to be off on very fast taper butt sections where obviously the guide foot starts off a few MM lower or higher on some blanks.
My best results have been with butt guide at 19.5 thrid guide at 39.5/40 inches from reel face and the one in between as a line of sight/concentric rings setup.
This applies the the 30mm big microwaves too.
Yes it looks weird.
If 'looks weird' bugs you well you can bend the stem a little .
BTW the weird looks from line of sight using tthe supplied guides is so nice to cast i personally don't care.

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.btas.verizon.net)
Date: March 31, 2013 12:55PM

Suggested spacing for stripping guide, transition guide and running guide:
Measurements made from the lip of spool extended out to its furthest point, toward the tip of the rod to the primary ring of stripping guide, transition guide & first running guide.(Measurements in inches)
Stripping guide = 19 1/2 " = 49.53 cm
Transition guide = 30 1/2 " = 77.47 cm
Running guide = 39 7/8 " = 101.28 cm

The measurements above are the critical ones. A small varience will occure if you measure from the reel spool lip closest to the blank or the edge farthest from the blank. I would suggest measuring from the lip edge closest to the blank with the reel mounted on the rod. Adjust your running guides as you see fit. Using the guide spacing charts, measuring from the tip top, will result in incorrect spacing for the stripper unless the butt length and reel seat placement are also the same. No mention is made requiring the guide rings to line up as concentris circles. Incorrect spacing will give you varied results, don't ask how I know, just use their guide line. And pay attentuon to the suggested line weights too.

Posted by: Darrin Heim (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: April 02, 2013 12:29PM

Hello,

I apologize for not answering sooner.

Jim is correct with the directions for placement. The important thing to note is where he mentioned, “Using the guide spacing charts, measuring from the tip top, will result in incorrect spacing for the stripper unless the butt length and reel seat placement are also the same”. He is refering to the rear handle dimensions we mention in the directions.

While the layout measurements are only suggested placement locations, the first three guides are critical to providing the best results. We have had reports of improvement with slight alterations but during our testing we found that the published locations work extremely well. As rod builders, I know many of you love the challenge of finding that perfect placement so larger reels or even different line types might be cause for deviation from our recommendation. Experimentation may yield positive results however using the spacing provided will deliver MWG benefits.

Answering the Peter’s original question, the guides do not need to be lined up in the “classic bull’s-eye” arrangement. Through trial and error we found that this irregular sight line works very well. May be due to line control established in the first guide and the irregular sight line may in fact help maintain that control on through the running guides.

Best Regards,

Darrin Heim
American Tackle Company

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.33.196.---)
Date: April 03, 2013 06:37PM

I expect as more experience is obtained on the microwave system that it will become apparent that the system is less sensitive to spacing than other systems, and will allow builders to quickly arrive at optimum solutions. After all, only the first two guides, maybe the first three, have anything to do with performance. And since they are offering only one first guide, one second, it really eliminates most of the options. I think it will be "quick design."

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster