I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Flex coat hardener discolered
Posted by: Michael Ortega (---.clppva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 30, 2013 09:01AM

I haven't build a rod in awhile (3 years) and was just getting things setup for a build when I noticed my flex coat lite hardener has turned to an amber color? Has anyone ever noticed this and will it ultimately affect the color of my finish when mixed with the resin?

Thanks,

-Mike

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flex coat hardener discolered
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 30, 2013 09:12AM

All epoxy hardeners will eventually turn amber or yellow/brown, either in the bottle or on the rod. It's normal.

The thickness of the component in the bottle creates a darker tone than you will see in a thinner application on a guide wrap.

Posted by: Michael Ortega (---.clppva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 30, 2013 09:39AM

Thanks Tom,

Can I use this the wrap guides or will it mix up with that amber tint?

Posted by: chris stevenson (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 30, 2013 10:08AM

being that its 3 years old i personally would discard and buy new,tho the discoloration will not affect the finish ,age may have broken down the components of the epoxy itself.most manufacturers say to discard after 1 year,that maybe a claim to get you to buy more,who knows(they do) but why chance it?

www.southriverrodsllc.com

Date: March 30, 2013 10:49AM

Epoxy doesn't break down - it will outlast you. There is no shelf life. Yes, some of the re-bottlers like you to buy "fresh" finish every year or so, but that has to do with sales, not with the properties of the epoxy.

Your epoxy will indeed have an amber tint to it when mixed, although applied on the wraps you won't notice it nearly as much. The thing is, if you start with perfectly clear epoxy, it'll turn amber too, even after mixing, applying and curing on the wraps. You'll have have that initial few months period before it turns.

Posted by: chris stevenson (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 30, 2013 01:23PM

Tom,thanks for clearing (bad pun) that up,it was always something i suspected,tho i don't seem to be able to keep mine any longer than a couple months.

www.southriverrodsllc.com

Posted by: Michael Ortega (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 30, 2013 03:13PM

Thanks everyone. I went ahead and bought some new stuff. But it's good to know that even if I used it, it would b fine.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 30, 2013 04:15PM

Here is a pretty good link that was written by an epoxy manufacturer:

[www.epoxymethods.com]

If you scroll down the page, you will notice that the Epoxy Resin - has an infinite shelf life.
But, it then goes on to say that the hardener has a shelf life of at least one year.

So, as I have found with two part paints and other finishes, the resin is good for a very long time, but Yes, for some brands of finish - the hardener DOES go bad over a certain period of time that may widely by the manufacturer.

That way why, when I did a lot of painting with two part epoxy paints, I kept the pigments, or Resin for a very long time.
But I would only buy the cans of hardener in small quantities. I also put a date of purchase on the hardeners. When the date exceeded one year, I would toss the can of hardener, and purchase a new can.

I personally have never had an issue with Rod Building Finish and having bad hardener. I have had finish around for at least a couple of years and used it with no issues.

But, that may be different with some other brands of finish.

--
Here is West Systems statement on shelf life that states that it is essentially unlimited:
[www.westsystem.com]

Here is a statement from US composites which state that their epoxies should be used within a year, although the product remains viable for a longer period of time:
[www.uscomposites.com]

Here is a statement from Dow Chemical that states that their epoxy resins and associated products typically have a shelf life of one to two years:
[www.dow.com]

Here is a statement from System Three -- chemicals that says that their shelf life is virtually unlimited - but if unsure, test before using.
[www.systemthree.com]

Roger

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2013 04:22PM by roger wilson.

Date: March 30, 2013 04:38PM

The hardener doesn't go bad - it just turns amber. That's what they mean by "shelf life." But it's still going to turn, even after you apply it to the wraps.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hsd1.sc.comcast.net)
Date: March 30, 2013 04:58PM

Mix it and let it sit overnight. I bet it hardens up.

Posted by: Col Chaseling (101.174.54.---)
Date: March 30, 2013 05:18PM

How does anyone know how long it has been"on the shelf" in the shop before you got it, do the manufacturers put a "use by" date on it which they would if it did go off. Last year I bought new finish both high build and light. The hardener of the high build was slightly amber but the light was almost brown. Both types of finish mixed up easily, hardened as they're supposed to and were quite clear when applied. The light didn't appear any more discoloured than the high build on the rod. I've got a couple of rods where the finish is well over 30 years old and it still looks fine to me.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Date: March 30, 2013 05:37PM

When you look at the stuff in the bottle, you're looking through an inch of material. On the wrap, it's going to be more like .5 mm.

Beer in the bottle is amber. But spill some on the floor where it spreads out thinly, and it looks clear.

Because the epoxy is going to turn either in the bottle or on the rod, it has never been anything I've worried over.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 30, 2013 06:34PM

Gee Tom
Spilling beer on the floor is Alcohol Abuse LOL

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Garry Thornton (---.natsow.res.rr.com)
Date: March 31, 2013 12:19AM

In photography the filter to reduce the blue cast caused by Ultra violet rays is straw colored.
I suspect that the yellow cast in the hardener is in fact a UV filter built into the product.

Date: March 31, 2013 07:39AM

Yes and no. Most of the UV protectors are indeed amber in color and will give the hardener an amber tint, but the amines in the hardeners also tend to amber or yellow with age.

But it is true that the more UV protector you have in an epoxy, the more amber it will be to begin with.

Posted by: Ken Driedger (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: March 31, 2013 07:30PM

I have a heel of envirotex resin and hardeer, coming up 15 years old, and it still cures. The hardner's a bit more amber than it was fresh, back then. I no longer use it for wraps, instead, using it as a glue for reel seats, etc. That's only because the chemistry has changed upwards over time. imho. Threadmaster light being a good example. cheers, kd.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 02, 2013 12:17PM

Mike,
I sent an e-mail to Flex coat and ask them the question of the shelf life for Flex Coat thread coating.

Their answer was:

"Up to One year".

Roger

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: April 02, 2013 01:31PM

roger wilson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mike,
> I sent an e-mail to Flex coat and ask them the
> question of the shelf life for Flex Coat thread
> coating.
>
> Their answer was:
>
> "Up to One year".
>
> Roger

Translation........BUY MORE FLEX COAT!!!

LoL

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster