I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

epoxy curing over time
Posted by: Jesse Shipe (---.29.249.200.res-cmts.sha.ptd.net)
Date: March 29, 2013 09:45AM

I have a rod where my epoxy thread finish didnt cure completely and remains tacky. I carefully and painstakingly applied a second coat. This coat has not cured well either, but after a week it seems better. Do you think that this will cure over time, or, will it always be just so slightly tacky.

The finish seems to be just a tiny bit sticky, where you can feel your finger drag a little bit over it when you touch it.

I want to use this rod soon, our trout season is opening in just 2 weeks.... should I strip it and do it again, or just wait it out?!

I am thinking that my basement is too damp to use the finish, my next rod will be done in the kitchen!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: epoxy curing over time
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 29, 2013 10:07AM

Humidity plays no role in an epoxy's ability to set up or cure. None.

If you drag your finger over a highly varnished floor, you'll find it isn't slick. Neither is epoxy. But it shouldn't be sticky or tacky. What happens if you press your finger into it? Does it leave a fingerprint? If not, then you're probably fine. Some epoxies achieve a harder cure than others.

Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.ripon.k12.wi.us)
Date: March 29, 2013 10:13AM

Jesse,
Its all about heat and time. If you have a good 12 plus hours on it and it is still tacky it will probably remain that way. Usually this occurs due to error in mixing EXACT amounts of the two part finish. I have put a high build coat over a student's tacky finish with heat and was able to get it to cure but to do it right....... I would start over.

Not sure what brand of finish you are using.Don't try to skimp by mixing very small amounts of finish. You need a certain amount of finish ratio mixed to get a good set. Dampness shouldn't be an issue. Its all about proper mixture and air temp.

If you can give me some more details, lite finish, heavy build, brand, amount being mixed, room temp etc maybe I can be more specific. Contact me via me email listed on my profile. for right now, start stripping those guides off and wrap them again.

Buzz

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 29, 2013 10:25AM

Jesse,
If you have someplace where you can put the rod in the sun, set it in a rod stand or similar - if the temperature in your area is warmer than 70 degrees.

If not, then put the rod in the warmest room in the house for a week.

If the coating has been properly mixed, the additional heat might help you with your issue.

As long as you exercised reasonable care in getting 1:1 proportions of part A and part B of your finish measured out when preparing.

I am guessing that the reason for the soft and slightly uncured finish is insufficient mixing time.

Don't mix finish based on the appearance of the mix. Rather, mix the finish based on the ticking clock. Mix the finish for at least 120 seconds, and preferably 180 seconds. i.e. either two or three FULL minutes of mixing time.

When you are mixing, it seems like time just creeps by and after mixing for a minute, many folks think that the parts have been sufficiently mixed - NOT.

If you have a space heater, put the heater in the smallest room in the house, like a bathroom or similar and use the heater to raise the heat to about 90 or 95 degrees. Let the rod sit in the temporary oven for a couple of days. If the finish is going to cure, it will be cured after a couple of days of 90-95 degree temperature.

By the way, your experience is exactly why I never suggest that a person puts another coat of finish over a coat of finish that is soft. The outer finish may or may not help to cure the first finish. But, if it doesn't, you have now created a finish with a hard surface, but with a soft center. This is not a good combination for a good long lasting rod.

If I ever have the mischance of a non cured first coat of finish, I will take the time to strip the rod, start over and rewrap the rod.

Good luck
Roger

Date: March 29, 2013 10:54AM

Im thinking about making a warm spot for the rod, give it a few more days and then decide. Thanks guys.

Posted by: John Cates (---.sub-70-195-193.myvzw.com)
Date: March 29, 2013 03:20PM

We don't know how all finishes are mixed, but this is how we mix Flex Coat Rod Wrap Finish. Click the link below to watch the short video

[www.flexcoat.com]

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 29, 2013 06:41PM

I like cool temps when I apply finish ( helps for it to flow out )
Then If I can heat up and help it to dry
But
I have put finish on in cool temps and it has still dried in 5 - 6 hours 12 hours and I can sand it and do another coat ??

Some thing is wrong ???? I would think the mix is not 50 - 50
You should check on how you mix

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Richard McCluskey (---.lncswi.broadband.dynamic.tds.net)
Date: March 29, 2013 08:57PM

For the most accurate 50 - 50 mix I use a reloaders digital scale. Perfect results every time. I have yet to have a problem like Jesse is having.

Date: March 29, 2013 11:18PM

Thank you to all. I am going to do this again and follow your instructions very closely. Thanks.

Jesse

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hsd1.sc.comcast.net)
Date: March 30, 2013 12:32AM

Richard McCluskey Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> For the most accurate 50 - 50 mix I use a
> reloaders digital scale. Perfect results every
> time. I have yet to have a problem like Jesse is
> having.

You are not having issues and that is great...but some resins and activators "may" not weigh the same.

Date: March 30, 2013 02:01AM

Jesse,
If you are using resin that requires a 50:50 mix, do NOT use a scale to measure the mix, unless you know the correct weight ratio from the finish manufacturer. All of the manufacturers have the weight ratio available, if you ask them.

But, syringes are so easy to use, never need to be cleaned and are 100% accurate at measuring some pretty small volumes of material if you would like them to measure small volumes of material.

I really think, as I posted initially, that you likely have a case of insufficient mixing. I am guessing that your mix ratio is correct. But, I am also guessing that you may not have mixed the finish thoroughly, or for too short a period of time.

As I said before, mix the finish for at least 120 seconds, or two minutes, and preferably longer.

p.s.
If you use a motorized mixer, be sure that all of the nooks and corners of the finish mixing cup are also well mixed.

Roger

Date: March 30, 2013 07:25AM

I think that my mixing quantities are fine. I used a pop-sickle stick to mix and have been told that is a no-no. The wood holds moisture. So, next time I will mix with a plastic spatula and I will mix it for a longer period of time. Maybe this is the answer.

It has to be something I am doing, it has happened with 2 different brands of epoxy.

What seems odd to me is that I have been using epoxies since the 1980s. I build and fly RC planes. I never, ever had a problem with that happening before. Apparently, the epoxy we use for fishing rods is a completely different animal with completely different needs. Lesson learned.

Date: March 30, 2013 11:11AM

Jesse,
Welcome to the group.
I build and raced RC planes for 20 years and enjoyed it very much. I also had never had a problem mixing hundreds of batches of epoxies.

However, when I first started building rods, I had the very same problem that you did. I chatted with the local rod store and that was when they made the suggestion to mix for 120 seconds - at least - by the clock.

I also mix with popsicle sticks and never have a problem - as long as I mix for at least 120 seconds - by the clock.

Unless you mix by the clock, you think that you have mixed it long enough, but find that you have only mixed it for 60 seconds. Time goes slowly when mixing.

Good luck. I am sure that all of your future mixes will be just fine.

Roger

Date: March 30, 2013 06:46PM

I also use Popsicle sticks No problems I do split them in half so they are thin ( make sure there are no fibers on them ) never timed my mixing Guess i just live right Turn the plastic cup on its side and mix till it gets clear Watch another Commercial Then apply

A heater should help to dry the air and help the finish flow Home-depot ??

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 31, 2013 12:19PM

Jesse, after you mix do you apply from the same container.....or do you pour the epoxy out onto another surface and apply from that?

There tends to be hidden cervices, and if using a rounded mixing device, places where the finish isn't totally mixed. You can have problems with that if you apply from the cup. Just a thought.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: March 31, 2013 08:33PM

I mix in the cups for years i tilt the cups and mix Never had a finish that did not cure or set in 4 6 hours

You did some thing wrong
User error

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster