I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Different guide types
Posted by: chris short (149.135.147.---)
Date: March 27, 2013 07:08AM

Hi guys just a quick question. I am ordering guides ATM and this is where my troubles start. There are millions of types of guides but I just don't know which ones to pick. I under starn sic, alconite ect buy more the letters on the sizes. For e amble building a 7ft spin rod to match a stratic 2500 looking at using 25,16,10 then 6 to tip 6. Probably use 4 6's unsure yet as have not tested. But I just get confused on which style of guides to choose. Up to my 6th rod and this is pretty much the only component that I have trouble deciding on

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Different guide types
Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: March 27, 2013 07:40AM

Since you mentioned Alconite, that tells me you like Fuji. I would suggest the new "K" series of guides in your choice of frame metal/finish. A 25mm butt guide is a great size to pair with a Stradic 2500. Using mono, you could easily drop to smaller running guides. Using braid to leader, I would stay with 6mm or even more to 7mm. There is a very helpful piece of software on the Fuji distributor's site, called GPS. The link is below.

[anglersresource.net]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2013 07:41AM by Jim Gamble.

Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 27, 2013 02:45PM

Chris,
Choosing guides today can be a bit of a chore. My recommendation would be to choose the frame style that you wish, then select the ring type & frame material. This will generally be dictated by price as obviously SIC type rings are going to be more than Hardloy and Titanium Frames will be more than 304 stainless. For a standard concept type setup the sizes you have selected would work perfect, it would just require that you do the 25, 16 in a higher frame single foot and the 10 & 6's in a lower frame like a fly style. Personally I select the running guide sizes by the type of line I'll be using and the connections that I need to pass. When going down to the #4 & #3 type of micros you either need to have no connections or you will become a better knot tyer. Being as I typically use a Fluorocarbon leader that I need to pass I had to become a better knot tyer.
If you have any further questions please feel free to contact me, I'd be happy to assist your in your selections.

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Posted by: Todd Theodore (---.sub-70-199-98.myvzw.com)
Date: March 27, 2013 02:54PM

I really like the Fuji KL-H guides. High frame single foot w/ a smaller ring to choke line quicker. I'm also a fan of the Am Tack Microwave guide system. Makes choosing and placing guides very simple and they work.

Posted by: Col Chaseling (101.174.54.---)
Date: March 27, 2013 06:41PM

Hi Chris,
Just to add to your dilema check out the guides available from Dbluefishing on the left. For a spinning rod you could go with the new SCXOLSG (6 - 40) or the higher HLTSG ( 4 - 20) for transition guides. For runners your best best would be XMTSG (4-8) or a higher DBSG-B1 (4-30). Alll single footers. These guides are available in stainless or titanium frames with TiO or SiC rings and represent excellent value for money. I have been using the titanium frames with SiC rings ever since release and to date no failures. I've been dealing with them for around five years and the service is excellent, the range ever widening and the quality on the constant improve. Prices are available on their website, www.dbluefishing.com or by getting in contact with Lily on info@dbluefishing.com . Very nice lady who will help with whatever is required. they also have a catalogue available which contains a lot of nice rodbuilding components all at great prices.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Date: March 27, 2013 11:08PM

Thanks col could you tell me an appropriate set up with those guides then I will look them up on the website and order cheers

Date: March 28, 2013 08:57AM

Hi Chris,
Not easy to tell you which guides to get especially if you are going to use NGC or 27x method which I would recommend. The new SCXOLSG guides don't have any specs for height etc in the catalogue but Lily had some at the Expo and they are higher than standard frames but I doubt if they're the same height as HLTSG which are quite high for the ring size. The spool size for a Stradic 2500 is almost 46mm which means you would need a higher framed 20 or maybe a 16 for the stripper then a 12 or 10 then an 8 or 6 for the transition guides. The runnning guides are easy but I don't know what size line you are using but I'd say you could go less than 6's for runners, ie 5's or 4's which would save weight on the important tip. You should get five of the running guides just to be sure and the XMTSG's are a good match for the SCXOLSG's with a similar ring locked frame. Difficult to just buy the number you require for a rod. You need to build up a supply of different sizes and then you have the one to fit on hand. If you intend on making a number of rods they wont go astray, I've got a couple of hundred guides and will more than likely get quite a few of the new SCXOLSG's as they are a very nice, strong, ring locked frame. For a matching tip I would suggest the Concept tips, ie DBSG-TC1 for titanium frames with SiC rings. They range from 4 - 12 in ring size and Lily has been working on getting larger tubes for the 4's, 5's and 6's but not sure how big the tubes she has currently. The prices for these titanium frames with SiC rings are super competitive with other makes and so far I haven't had any problems with them and don't foresee any. If you are unfamilar with the 27x setup then check the articles in the library as they are quite good. Send me an email if you need any more info.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Date: March 28, 2013 06:48PM

So look at size 20,12,10,8 in scxolsg and get maybe 6 by size 6 in xmtsg and tip?

Date: March 28, 2013 08:09PM

Hi Chris,
That should get you out of trouble and you'll have 2 or 3 leftovers for a start on your next build!!

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Wes Motsinger (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: March 28, 2013 09:22PM

if building a spinning rod give the microwaves a try

Posted by: chris short (---.lnk.telstra.net)
Date: March 28, 2013 10:19PM

Tried microwaves 2 times don't know if I was 100% happy want to try some thing else

Date: March 29, 2013 01:23AM

So u rate these guides col emailed today got some prices going to buy a bit for a stoch pile any recommendations mainly build light bream rods

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 29, 2013 09:01PM

Chris

You are the FIRST one I have herd any bad ju ju about the Microwave Guides
What and how did you set them up
Did you use there sets or build your own set ups ??? Did you set them up according to how it was suggested to ??

Bill - willierods.com

Date: March 29, 2013 09:31PM

Didn't say I had a problem "I" just wasn't 100% happy just my opinion that's all bill they work yes just didn't think they were amazing that's all

Date: March 30, 2013 01:48AM

Col do you mind if I email you about these guides

Date: March 30, 2013 03:05AM

Hi Chris ,
No Problem.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster