I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Lathe
Posted by: Steve Wright (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: March 26, 2013 10:59PM

I have been cruising a couple of the rod building forums and found lots of great information. Amazing how many talented and ingenuous builders out there. Sorry about the series of questions but don't know where else to get expert advice.

I have been doing some research on rod lathes and know this is opening a can of worms. I am looking for something that I can turn cork handles to start with. I need to build a spey handle for an economy build and the fact that they are very expensive. I also want a few 6' cigar handles and do not see many options for handles other than 7 or 7.5" long. I also want to be able to shape cork on a rod or fill cork when necessary and just smooth them up. At this point I am not thinking that I will be doing many inserts or wood handles. I would love one of the top of the line lathes, but being a hobby builder can not justify the expense.

Options -

Sewing machine motor - either just a wood base and some wheeled supports or buy a track and the supports from Batson or American Tackle? I have used one of these that a friend has (has a machined one of a kind collet and tapes the handle in) it worked fine but I did not really like the tape deal and there is no way to put the other end of the butt section so you can get the to a fighting butt or switch/spey handles? Looking at the motors on a certain @#$%& site the output shaft seems to be around 6.5mm or 1/4 inch. What are you using for chucks if you have one of these?

Just make a drill lathe similar to the flex coat one. Seems simple and I have a very nice 1/2" electric drill. What are you using for a chuck if you are turning the rod and not a mandrel?

On this option I was also interested in the Grizzly hobby lathe, built to accept a drill. I understand that this is not a long term solution but might get me going until I see how much I use it and until I find another option?

I have been looking for a used mini lathe. I really do not have room to store a full size lathe. A lot of them will not accommodate a spey handle or a complete rod. It is nice that you can get chucks for them. The cheaper ones are not great quality, probably good enough for turning cork though?

So any thoughts or options I have not thought of would be great.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Lathe
Posted by: Donald Newenhouse (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 27, 2013 12:45AM

Being a hobby builder myself, and not a lot of room I went the Grizzly route . I mounted it on a 1x6 for easy storage . When needed just set it up on my carport and have no dust in my work area .. It fits the bill for me and enjoy using it ..

<<<<DON>>>>
Fort Myers Fla.

Posted by: Garry Thornton (---.natsow.res.rr.com)
Date: March 27, 2013 12:59AM

If you're not going to turn wood, why not go with a power rod winder?
You will spend the same money, and will be able to turn cork, on or off the rod.
As a bonus, winding guides, applying finish etc are all easier on a power winder.

Date: March 27, 2013 10:18AM

Don, are you using any thing for a chuck so you can put the rod in or just cork on mandrels?

Garry. I have looked at the power wrappers. They are in the neighborhood of $350 - $400 and if you want to add the upgraded chuck it is another $150. At that price you might as well step up to the plate any buy a Renzetti. The was a used one listed here for a fair price, but sold before I contacted him. The ones I have seen on the @#$%& site have gone for unbelievable $, not sure why they do not buy a new one? That is more than I am willing to spend at this time. I made myself a drying stand and it works great. I also have a hand wrapper and used it sometimes but usually put the thread in the hand wrapper and wrap the rod in my lap. What I am looking at is getting one bed section for a power wrapper and two uprights. I would plan on using a sewing machine motor, but have a hard time figuring out what I can use for a chucks.

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 27, 2013 10:27AM

aluminum base for a self built check out 8020.com, They have a "Garage Sale" area where you can get Shorter lengths of Stock and Hardware needs. You can use inline Skate wheels for rollers after you build you lathe

Posted by: Garry Thornton (---.natsow.res.rr.com)
Date: March 27, 2013 01:08PM

Power winders start at about $260.00 they are even less when Mudhole has a one-day sale.
I bought an Alps winder from Bingham Enterprises, for around $350.00, last fall.
You can find the upgraded winder for between those two prices.
I told myself that a cork lathe was $200.00 plus I needed a drill, so the Alp's winder was really only $150...Grin.
Go shopping, make a few calls...You will find what you want.
Garry

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2013 01:13PM by Garry Thornton.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 27, 2013 01:55PM

Steve,
Give these folks a call:
[plus.google.com]

They almost always have some used wood lathes on hand for very good prices. The items come in and go out. So, if you had some thoughts, give them a call and ask what they have, and if they don't have what you want, have them write up your needs, to be on the lookout if that item happens to come in.

They are great folks to deal with and I would think - but have never asked - that they would be able to ship tools.

Roger

Posted by: John Cates (---.sub-70-195-194.myvzw.com)
Date: March 27, 2013 04:19PM

Steve

Check out our short videos featuring our Cork Lathe Setup. These videos show some tips and techniques that answer your questions about chucks and fighting butts, at least how we do it.

[www.flexcoat.com]

[www.flexcoat.com]

[www.flexcoat.com]

Hope this helps.

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: Lou Auret (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: March 27, 2013 06:05PM

Steve, whatever solution you eventually decide upon, try to get where you shape cork/eva or ream and do epoxy work as far removed from one another as possible.
Sure some machines can do both but i am not one who would want to do so.
. Dust particles and finish are just not a good mix.
I know economics makes choices for us but if you can use separate machines for the tasks you will see it in the results.

Posted by: Donald Newenhouse (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 27, 2013 07:33PM

Steve your email is hidden, click on my name and shoot me an email, I'll send you some information how I set my Grizzly up ..

<<<<DON>>>>
Fort Myers Fla.

Date: March 27, 2013 10:19PM

X10 on Lou's comments.
In that vein, I do my dirty work in a separate building from the building where I do my wrapping and finish work.

After I finish up my dirty work, I sweep the floor, open the big front door, and use the air compressor to blow out any remaining dust from the floors, walls, roof or shelves, right out the door.

Very simple.

I also use the air compressor with a blow gun tip to blow off all of the handles and work that I am doing in that building so that there is no dust coating on the objects when I bring them to the rod room.

Roger

Date: March 28, 2013 12:56AM

Steve, if you can afford it at all, I would really suggest the purchase of a dedicated lathe for your work. So much more capable than any of the other suggestions mentioned.

i.e. the right tool for the right job. Check your local Craig's list, and or used tool stores or even pawn shops. You can often find some rather nice equipment for some extremely low prices at these locations.

REW

Date: March 28, 2013 10:30AM

Roger, I have been checking online. It is just about garage sale season here so will try to hit a few of those as well. There is a Cummings 1000 m/m lathe for sale, but they are asking to much for now. I will keep my eye on it if the price drops. I have seen some information on that lathe and will need to check out the output shaft and it seems it is an odd size and checks were hard to find? I will also keep a watch here.

Thank you all for the great information.

Date: March 28, 2013 12:09PM

Steve,
This is actually a very well made lathe with MT2 type head and tail stock that will take care of all of your rod building needs just fine.

[www.harborfreight.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster