I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Skeleton Reel Seats / Epoxy Strength
Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: March 26, 2013 10:41AM

I've been playing around with a skeleton/split reel seat for the first time (it's a Fuji SKSS seat, if you're scoring at home), and this has been a neat project for me. I really have enjoyed tinkering around with this stuff, and I really like how light the finished handle assembly is turning out.

While playing with the setup last night, though, a question about torque came into my mind. Unlike traditional tube seats, where the tube itself provides the rigidity against which the reel nuts are tightened, and epoxy just attaches the tube to the blank, with split seats, the epoxy bond between the seat and the blank provides the anchor against which the reel nuts are cranked down. This got me to thinking that maybe this might be too much stress on that kind of an epoxy bond. Is glue strong enough for this job?

Has anyone had any experiences, or problems, with any kind of epoxy failing to live up to this kind of torque? Should these reel seats be loosened between uses, to prevent possible failure? Or are good epoxies (I use Rod Bond) strong enough that I should I just shut up and fish this thing, and forget about it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Skeleton Reel Seats / Epoxy Strength
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 26, 2013 10:47AM

The epoxy is more than strong enough. Do pay attention to good surface preparation techniques. You can read up on that in the online library here.

Yes, fish with the thing and forget it.

Posted by: Mihalyfalvi Gabriel (89.137.121.---)
Date: March 26, 2013 03:12PM

Just pay a good attention for what my father teached me a long time ago..and then Mr. Kirkman remindes us all when it comes to bonding...a good water break surface preparation before glueing and for sure there will be no problems at all with that reel seats.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2013 03:14PM by Mihalyfalvi Gabriel.

Posted by: ernest sebastian (---.fast.net.id)
Date: March 27, 2013 09:06AM

i'll suggest you to cut the arbor in 2 pcs and place it on blank with some gap and fill the gap with rodbond
my concern is not the epoxy strength but the arbor strength.
my first experience with SK2, the arbor broke when i accidentally twist the reel
with the method above the blank will have direct glue contact with the reel seat

Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: March 27, 2013 11:38AM

I did everything I was supposed to do: sanded the finish, used an arbor, etc. If this thing does not hold up, it will be because of epoxy failure. But it seems that this is something that I'm not going to have to worry about.

Thanks for the replies, fellas.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 27, 2013 12:05PM

If you are concerned about arbor strength, you could always turn an arbor out of wood, glue it to the blank and then glue the seat to the wood arbor.

Roger

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 28, 2013 11:36AM

Chris,

I have had a couple of guys bring drop shot rods back to me with the rear reel seats loose. On those rods I had installed the threaded portion of the reel seat in the down position and had reamed the rear grip out to accept the collier covering the reel seat nut. I caused myself several problems with the reel seat installed in this manner: one the rear grip was very thin where reamed to accept the reel seat collier and two: one of the guys had the nervous habit of tightening the grip / nut while fishing. I noted when repairing the reel seats on the two rods that the epoxy had held fine; but the failure had occurred as a result of the reel seat arbor being sheared or split lengthwise. I had advised these two clients not to over tighten the reel seat nut.

I eliminated the problem by flipping the reel seat around so it tightens from the front, (which is probably the way Fuji intended it to be installed but I was too stupid to realize it)! The EVA fore grip / nut cover available from Fuji works great too.

The suggestion made by Ernest above is worth considering. My inspection of the reel seat failure on the two rod I mentioned showed the problem was not a result of the epoxy breaking loose; but a shearing off of the reel seat arbor.

Everyone seems to want the split grips on their rods and the work great as long as you can keep them out of the hands of Mr. Gorilla Grip!!

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2013 11:38AM by Donald R Campbell.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster