I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

cutting off a wrap?
Posted by: mick vickers (---.a1a.zs.ncren.net)
Date: March 25, 2013 02:37PM

ok guys, i thought i was ready to do my first build using a tiger wrap but the practice one i did looks like crap! i think i had too much spool tension when i did the underwrap. i burnished as per doc's video, cp, light build first coat and then a high build. i only used one sacrificial thread on the top wrap and there is NO pattern. is this most likely from the underwrap being too tight or from only a single sacrificial?
oh, back to the original question; how do i remove the tiger? i think i read to use a heat gun and heat the wrap and then slice through the treads and peel off but that was for a guide wrap.
i wanna practice this again before i put it on a "real" rod.
thanks,
mick

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: cutting off a wrap?
Posted by: Russell Brunt (165.214.14.---)
Date: March 25, 2013 02:57PM

Mick, if you can get ahold of the thread end you can unwind the thread and it will take the epoxy off for you. Use a razor blade or file and a dental pick. Take your time and don't nick the blank.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: ricky espenschied (---.dhcp.missouri.edu)
Date: March 25, 2013 03:28PM

just a ? If you got no pattern ,did you reverse your thread direction on the top wrap?
Ricky

Date: March 25, 2013 05:36PM

ricky,
yes, i went left to right for the underwrap and right to left for the top. all size A thread, silver and green on the bottom and purple on top. i'm thinking the underwrap was too tight or not burnished enough.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 25, 2013 06:30PM

The pattern is not created by the underwrap, it is the top wrap that creates it. You may have been too tight on the top wrap to get the movement needed. In essence the underwrap should be stable and the overwrap has the movement.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 25, 2013 07:52PM

If you heat the finish gently with an alcohol flame (2-3 seconds is all that is needed) you can pick off the finish and expose your thread. Use a dental pick or a pointy but dull tool to get a thread started, then you can unwrap and remove the finish at the same time, or what Russ said. :-)

Terry

Posted by: ricky espenschied (---.uscc.net)
Date: March 25, 2013 08:45PM

Mick,Russell and Terry gave god advice. Only other thing is every time I have moved away from black and white under wrap I have not gotten good results. You might try black and yellow with the purple.The bottom wrap does need to loose enough to brunish in differnt direction .
Also it seems the more finish coats on the bottom wrap the better the effect.
Ricky

Posted by: Tim Wiehe (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: March 26, 2013 07:41PM

Heat gun is the way to go Mick. Cut off a tiger last week for same problem...lack of movement. Was experimenting with some holoshimmer to try for
a different effect. Not worky to good.

Date: March 27, 2013 09:36AM

i think i figured out the problem...other than getting old and forgetful!! i went back and watched doc ski's video again; I FORGOT TO BURNISH THE TOP WRAP!!!!!!!!
got the old wrap cut off; back to the drawing board!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster