I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Clearance blanks
Posted by: Mick Batson (---.tukw.qwest.net)
Date: March 21, 2013 11:57AM

Check out Utmost Enterprises Closeout section - we've added some clearance blanks and will be adding more in the weeks to come - www.utmostenterprises.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Clearance blanks
Posted by: Bruce Tomaselli (---.altnpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 21, 2013 06:53PM

Hi. I'm looking for a fly rod for smallmouth bass. White kind of action is this rod?

UTF909
9'

9 WT
41 - PLUM
$20.0

Posted by: Jeremy Johnson (---.lightspeed.gdrpmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 21, 2013 08:35PM

What's the blem? Just paint? How bad?

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 21, 2013 08:39PM

Nothing I have bought ever had a blem. The fly rods tend towards powerful and fast. A 5 weight might be a better choice than a 9 weight for smallmouth.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: March 21, 2013 11:26PM

The Pac Bay Tradition 9 wt that I fished was med fast actioned.

Posted by: Bruce Tomaselli (---.altnpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 22, 2013 04:34PM

Spencer Phipps Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Pac Bay Tradition 9 wt that I fished was med
> fast actioned.

Is that the Tradition II?

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.tmodns.net)
Date: March 22, 2013 07:46PM

I'm sorry, I don't remember, it was a 3 piece blank, so probably the originals.

Date: March 22, 2013 09:02PM

Whereas what I bought has been the forecast/rainshadow ones. The one pac bay (i think) that I I bought was plum colored and finish was rough. The blank was nothing special. The black/tanslucent rx8's , on the other hand, have all been terrific blanks. But the 9 weight rx8 I have would be a better match for marlin than it would be for smallmouth. The rx7 5 weight would be just right for smallmouth.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: tim hough (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 23, 2013 09:43AM

5 wt sounds a bit light to me. Although they will take big trout flies, tossing Clousers & sizable poppers, flies designed with smallies in mind, would be much easier on something a weight or two up. Here in my neck of the woods, a 6 or 7 is the usual tool. A 9wt is pretty heavy stuff, salt water & REAL heavy fresh water applications mostly.

Tim

Date: March 23, 2013 03:10PM

Wow, I wonder if I have all been getting the same blanks from Utmost??? I have a rx7 5 weight and rx8's in 6, 8 and 12 weights. All are matte black finish except for the 12 weight which is gloss black. The 5 weight rx7 CCS'ed at a 7.15 (ERN) and is a lovely/easy to cast rod....the 6 weight rx8 was 8.63 (ERN) and is a very fast blank. Utmost doesn't sem to be selling those RX8's anymore (labeled RXF IIRC).

Just wanted Bruce to know that those blanks were stronger than one might think.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Mick Batson (---.wavecable.com)
Date: March 24, 2013 12:01AM

The closeout/blem blanks we sell are usually blanks that are color blems or the wt may have been slightly off. We are unable to determine the manufacturer as they could have come from several different USA factories and usually do not have any markings on them. We do not sell any Rainshadow/Forecast seconds or blems but offer a great discount off of their MSRP on first run, warranted blanks. The blanks on our Pac Bay closeout page were discontinued by Pac Bay and are warranted by them. We do our best to check the blanks, flex them, wipe them down and check for any obvious issue prior to shipping.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster