I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Wrapping micro guides ??
Posted by: Rick Schafer (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: March 20, 2013 06:49PM

Hey guys,

I'm starting on an MB 783-MHX Spinning Rod for beefier baits for my boy. I started with 20J-10J-8J BYAG then 5JBLAG then run out with 4JBLAG guides. Do you all think this will work O.K. Haven't stradic tested yet just wanted an opinion from the Pro's.

The Reel will be a 2000 0r 2500 not sure yet. Vss reel seat split grip.

Do you guys have any tips when wrapping these tiny guides? Do you use guide glue or thread to hold guides to blank while wrapping ??

Any tips or tricks are VERY appreciated !!

Thanks Rick a.k.a. THE NEWB...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wrapping micro guides ??
Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: March 20, 2013 07:01PM

Rick,

It depends a bit on your reel, but I would go with 20, 12, 8, BYAG, 5 BLAG then 4 BLAG to the tip. It's also not uncommon for me to use 20, 10 BYAG, then 5 BLAG and 4 BlAG to the tip. I think when you tape it up, if you are using the NGC or 27x method that the 10 and 8 will be fairly close together with a pretty large gap between the 20 and 10. If you don't have a 12 on hand, you should be able to make it work without too many issues.

As far as wrapping micros, I just use masking tape cut into ~1/16" strips to hold the guides in place. David Dosser has a pretty slick rig he uses with a hair tie and a bead. It works really well for him.

Joe

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.ppoe.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: March 20, 2013 07:27PM

I would stick with what Joe says, but be sure to check the diameter of the reel spool face just to make sure the #20 is large enough. May have go with a #25 and keep everything else the same. First guide should be half the dia. of the reel spool face.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Date: March 20, 2013 08:08PM

Thanks guys

Joe I don't have to use the size 8. might tape up 20,10,5, and 4's to see how it work's.

I have 1/8 inch tape so cutting down to 1/16 should work good.

J.B. The reel spool is 46mm you think a 20 will work.this is my 5th rod my other rods all started with a 25, but tryin to get weight down alittle and stick with my alcolite guides. Might look alittle better with Micro's also???

Thanks Rick

Posted by: Todd Theodore (---.fuse.net)
Date: March 20, 2013 08:40PM

If you try the new KL-H series (high frame, small ring) guides from Fuji you can get that first guide down to a 20 no problem. Awesome guides. Otherwise, I think the only way to keep the proper alignment is w/ the 25.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.nbrncmtc01.nwbrnc.ab.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: March 20, 2013 09:12PM

go with the 20,10,5 and then 4s or smaller and you wont regret it. I was turned onto this setup by Steve Gardner and haven't looked back. The only drawback might be on line choice and depending on what you use and how stiff it is you may want to go with a 25 over the 20. If you are set on the 20 ensure it is large enough for the spool as previously suggested.

Tom

Date: March 20, 2013 09:24PM

So if i need a 25 still go with a 25-10-5 and 4's threw tip?

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.nbrncmtc01.nwbrnc.ab.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: March 20, 2013 09:38PM

yes, if you need the 25 do the25,10,5 followed by the 4's unless you want to use something smaller the last one I just build I went down to 2's.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.ppoe.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: March 21, 2013 12:30AM

A #20 is very close. It will work fine but a #25 will be little taller and a little bigger and more in line with the reel. The weight difference won't be noticeable that close to your hand. You got to keep the weight off the forward half of the rod (thus the #4's). If my butt guide is less than half the dia of the reel spool face, I always go one bigger. If I change spools to a heavier line then the # 25 works better.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Don Baker (138.230.250.---)
Date: March 21, 2013 01:47AM

You can find great info on the Anglers Resource - Fuji web site about guide placement. I use dental o-rings to hold the micros in place, They work great and are very cheap on the big @#$%& site. I use 2 on each guide. I cut the first one off as soon as the thread climbs on the guide foot and the second when there are enough wraps to secure the guide.

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.42.152.---)
Date: March 21, 2013 12:13PM

It is possible with the KLH guides to have just two guides in the reduction train, the larger being a 20. Depends on the reel. Try the 5 step process by Ising and see what you get and how it works.

I've had lots of trouble wrapping micros mostly because when I take the 1/16 tape off, very carefully, often the guide falls off or slides back due to the short foot and sloping foot. An extra 1/16 of guide foot, sort of like the Amaks, makes a big difference. I'd like the Fuji eye and frame configuration with the Amtak foot. The Fuji belly guides are fine. Just my opinion.

PS Don't drop one on a dark or cluttered floor. You may never find it. When I wrap in my garage I stick a bright orange cable tie end into the eye to make it visible if it drops.

Posted by: Gary Weber (---.static.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: March 21, 2013 02:35PM

I have had the best luck using tape to get the micro guides to the position (static load test) then I use elmers glue to hold the guide in place while wrapping. However I have to keep presure on the guide for about a minute before the glue will hold it by itself. This works for me, but I only wrap a few rods. It would not work for a lot of rods.
Gary

Date: March 21, 2013 06:19PM

Thanks all

I already have the guides so I'm goin with them. Might have to get a 25 thow if it doesn't work with the 20. Just waiting on a VSS reel seat to get here and I'll sart it.

Good stuff as always.

Thanks Rick

Posted by: Steve Patrizi (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 21, 2013 06:22PM

I use automotive pin striping tape, you can get down to 1/32 thick, 1/16 works pretty good also

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 21, 2013 07:50PM

Not for nothing but I have been using rubber bands I buy a bag from the local drug store
pull out the thin ones Depending on size cut in half
WET Tie it on the blank about 2 inches from where it will lay Keeping it wet another knot pull up shug down A little tug Trim Then roll to where it needs to be

Been doing it for years Some can not tie a knot in a rubber band ??? guess i am talented ( if you cal that talent )

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Wes Weaver (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 22, 2013 08:13AM

If you "search" this topic I bet you would get numerous pages...many methods

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2013 08:15AM by Wes Weaver.

Posted by: Zachary Kowasz (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 22, 2013 01:50PM

I like to use elastic sewing thread, you can get it at wal mart or any sewing shop. Just 2-5 wraps finished off with a regulr square knot holds the guide in place, however it is very easy to slide the guide for stat ic testing, and once you wrap up to it you can simply touch it with a razor and it flies off. I have built a few KR concept spinning rods, I'd agree with everyone else with the 20-10-5-4 setup

Posted by: Tim Wiehe (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: March 23, 2013 04:00PM

Rick, as you can see lots a ways to skin a cat. With micro guides and or small blanks once i have the spacing done I use krazy glue to set guides. I' ve tried small strips of masking tape but I always
have the guide move on me especially when on small diameter section of blank. I use tweezers and it sets up pretty fast and no movement when wrapping. Works for me.

Posted by: Chester Kiekhafer (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: March 25, 2013 10:58PM

Has anyone tried to use the smallest wire ties to hold the guides in place?

Chet

Posted by: Wes Motsinger (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: March 26, 2013 08:40PM

good idea tim

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster