I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fuji K Guides Sizes, What do u think?
Posted by: Jay Burns (---.excelsior.edu)
Date: March 20, 2013 11:53AM

Hey guys never used the K Series guides from Fuji for spinning applications. Building a 7 foot finesse spinning rod, and am considering following the advice in the article for Building a rod using the K Concept. I was considering the following:

20H - 12H - 5.5H - then my running guides would be the KB4 guides to the tip

Anyone used this concept yet, and with transition guides in place should my choke point change from where I measured? Just curious if anyone had employed the KR Concept and if they had liked the results?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fuji K Guides Sizes, What do u think?
Posted by: John E Powell (168.169.226.---)
Date: March 20, 2013 01:00PM

Just for clarification purposes, are you referring to the KL-H series Fuji guides? And can you explain and/or elaborate what your asking when you wrote "and with transition guides in place should my choke point change from where I measured?"

Sorry if I am having a senior moment this afternoon.

Posted by: Jay Burns (---.excelsior.edu)
Date: March 20, 2013 01:17PM

Yes these would be the KL-H guides (spinning guides) - my choke point should mark my first KB4 guide I would assume, the KL 5.5H guide would be my last transition guide. Meaning my choke point would not change from what I originally measured or have done in the past, I am just using less guides between the stripper and choke point. Hopefully this helps

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 20, 2013 01:56PM

Maybe you should check out the Microwave set up
Swampland has the size 20 butt guide Give them a buzz

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 20, 2013 01:57PM

Jay,
Sounds fine.
The first three guides would each be about 10 inches - on average apart, and the running guides would get progressively closer. It should work well.
Roger

Posted by: Don Ahart (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 20, 2013 02:12PM

I built a 7' finesse rod with 20, 12, 5.5 K guides and it worked well. I just did the same blank with a microwave set and I prefer the MW

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: March 20, 2013 04:18PM

Your choke will be a KB but don't continue to use the KB for the remainder of the runners. Switch to a KT. Your choke point can definitely move up using KR. Set up a regular NGC and mark the position of your last reduction guide as the new choke point. Bullseye that new choke point with KL20, KL12 and KL5.5. Set up this way you will choke much faster than a MWS and your tip section will be way lighter than a MWS...as much as 60% lighter.

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.static.rvsd.ca.charter.com)
Date: March 20, 2013 07:12PM

Depending on what you mean by finesse, I have some people suggesting starting with size 16 instead of size 20. Jim Ising, would that be advisable?

Thanks,
M

Posted by: Todd Theodore (---.fuse.net)
Date: March 20, 2013 08:52PM

I like the KL-H guides. However, I'm w/ Bill. Try the Microwave Guides. So far, they're proving themselves to me.

Posted by: keith nehrke (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: March 20, 2013 10:00PM

I've recently built a few 6' and 6 1/2' finesse rods (MHX 721 and 781) using Fuji KH 16, 10, 5.5 then Minima 4 size 5 runners (x6). I fished them last weekend set up with a Stradic 1000 on one and a Quantum Energy PT 10 on the other, filled with 4lb Nanofil. I really liked the smaller striping guide and they cast flawlessly. I didn't test set up with the 20 KH though, so I can't speak to whether it might be more effective. Given their
performance though, I think that this layout is going to be tough to beat.

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.static.rvsd.ca.charter.com)
Date: March 21, 2013 02:03AM

Keith,

Great to hear. Nanofil is extremely forgiving of guide size. You can go down small and it will still work great. But mono/fluoro is less forgiving. Could you possible try it with mono if you have some on your 1000 spools? curious how that goes.

Mo

Date: March 21, 2013 09:15AM

To answer your question Mo, a 16 or 12 would be fine if it positions well as a stripper. Why not experiment with a 10 using Nanofil if it's not too far out? I would. With mono, I'd start with a 20 as a stripper and downsize until I saw some impact on performance.

Posted by: keith nehrke (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: March 21, 2013 06:41PM

Hi Mo,

I switched out a spool this evening to 4 lb mono on the Stradic 1000 reel, and it casts very well indeed. Of course, it doesn't cast nearly as well as the Nanofil...that stuff is slick. Prior to finishing the build I compared a size 20 to a 16 and didn't notice any negative impact. I didn't tie in anything smaller though.

Not sure if the KR rod would handle a bigger reel, but this is a purposed rig for winter perch in Seneca Lake, NY, so it'll never see anything but what's on it. If there's any chance that a 2000+ size might sit on the rod, I'd probably have chosen to go with a larger stripper.

Date: March 22, 2013 09:25AM

I'm finishing up a 9 ft Fiber Star Composite blank built with KL-H guides and although the guys in the Northeast will worry about the durability of the single foot up there I can tell this rod will be GREAT in the sand on the Gulf Coast. Launching 2oz into the upper 120's and smooth as silk. KR CONCEPT is universal.

Posted by: Zachary Kowasz (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 25, 2013 03:56PM

Jay,

I have built a few bass rods with the exact setup you have and love em! set it up as you would normally with NGC, then take your last reduction guide(the 5.5) and replace it with a running guide. so YES you are moving your choke point back towards the face of the reel. now just adjust so the guides bullseye to the new choke point WITHOUT moving the stripper guide. static test running guides and test cast, and you should be good to go.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster