I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

cork finish / sealer help please
Posted by: Roger Templon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 19, 2013 08:09PM

I just turned my first set of grips from some mixed color cork rings. I did a search on the forum for cork sealer - finish topics. It seems that a lot of my fellow builders use or recommend B/C tru oil and/or B/C filler and sealer. I also understand that tru oil will darken the color of the cork. I was wondering if anyone has successfully used any other finishes that will just bring up the contrast of the cork without changing the color. Helmsman or Minwax products? Urethanes or varnish? Others? If so...what's your application technique?

Give me some ideas please!!

Rog

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: cork finish / sealer help please
Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 19, 2013 08:15PM

Many builders (me included) do not use any finish on cork grips. My impression is that the ones that do, many use tru oil. U40 cork sealer will give you the look you seek but it's not a forever finish, and needs to be reapplied every couple of years. Most all of the urethanes will add an amber tint and darken the cork. The only urethane products that will be clear are permagloss or lumaseal. You'll have to get feedback from others as I've not used these on cork, but know that they are clear on all other surfaces. The finish will be shiny, very uncork-like.

So, I have to ask, why are you looking to seal your cork grip?

Terry

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 19, 2013 08:29PM

Your best bet is to get some ( on sale ) grips and play with them
I have put thread finish on some and tend to like the golden color of it
But you will have to decide what you like and try several different products

try a search on ( coating cork ) or cork finishes ???

Bill - willierods.com

Date: March 19, 2013 08:42PM

Terry

I would like to increase or brighten up the contrast between the dark and light cork colors. Just sanded the cork looks dull and lifeless. Something that would brighten up the cork without applying a finish would be great!

Rog

Date: March 19, 2013 08:52PM

Either a thinned out finish or maybe permagloss which will be a harder finish

You will have to try different finishes to see what you like

I thin out even a light finsh It gives the cork a golden glow I like

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Col Chaseling (101.174.54.---)
Date: March 19, 2013 09:11PM

Hi Roger,
I've used permagloss on a cork grip once to encase the grip as I'd used a wood stain on it to see how it would turn out. Turned out better than I expected and the feel of the grip was similar to U-40 cork sealer.
[www.rodbuilding.org]
I normally use U-40 sealer on cork as it stops the cork from getting that grey oxidised look, makes it easer to clean and I also like the look it gives.
You can't keep sanding cork grips to give them a new look or you enventually run out of cork.
Personally I think that grey oxidised appearance is off putting to a nice rod.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Date: March 19, 2013 09:26PM

maybe a car wax ?? have not tried it ???

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 19, 2013 09:42PM

Tru Oil does accentuate the contrast of the various corks. In my experience I like what it does to the color of regular plain cork and really like what it does with the composite corks. One thin application and you still retain almost 100% of the plain cork feel.

Date: March 20, 2013 05:59AM

Thanks guys. I glued up several short cork sections from leftover rings and now the testing / learning process will begin. I will post some info after trying several different products.

Rog

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2013 06:02AM by Roger Templon.

Posted by: Abram Harrison (---.dsl.teksavvy.com)
Date: March 20, 2013 06:13PM

I like the U40 cork sealer, it has a nice feel. It does darken natural cork considerably, and brings out the colours in burl cork.

Posted by: Tim Marchiando (---.net)
Date: March 21, 2013 09:25AM

I have used acrylic floor finish with good results. It will darken the cork a bit, but the colors do standout.

Posted by: Mike Bradford (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: March 22, 2013 01:08PM

I use U-40 cork seal, and then run a couple of coats of paste wax like Johnson's floor wax on them. Brings out the grain and still feels like cork even when wet.

Mike Bradfrod
R.M.B. Fishing Rods
Nampa, Idaho

Date: March 22, 2013 06:29PM

Thanks to all!

I now have several ideas to test.

Rog

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster