I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
lathe chuck
Posted by: ridge orjalesa (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 18, 2013 04:48PM

I just got a lathe off craigslist but the lathe came with a teknatool 4 jaw self centering chuck that only goes down to 1/2 inch, i would like to go as small as 1/4 inch so i can grip a 1/4inch mandrel.
what will I purchase so i can grip 1/4inch?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: lathe chuck
Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 18, 2013 05:00PM

Jacobs Chuck 3/8-1/2' Get a bolt to fit the Threads and cut off the Head

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 18, 2013 05:02PM

Ridge,
I would suggest that you purchase a keyless Jacobs style 1/2 inch keyless chuck with the appropriate MT size insert on the end of the chuck.
i.e. MT1, Mt2 or ??

When working with small shafts, the use of the keyless Jacobs style chucks works very quickly and chucks up items very solidly.

Something like this one:

[www.lathemaster.com]

By the way, this same chuck will work very well for you if you want to drill a perfectly centered hole in a work piece. Simply take the chuck, and insert it into your tail stock and use it to hold a drill bit.

Then, to drill the hole, simply advance the tail stock drill bit into the spinning work piece.
A perfectly centered hole every time.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Since the headstock and tail stock have the same MT2 size - the chuck will fit in either the spinning head stock, or the stationary tail stock.

Roger

Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: March 18, 2013 05:08PM

X3 on the Jacobs chuck

Date: March 18, 2013 05:36PM

the tailstock has the 1/2 inch jacobs chuck. how will i connect it to the head stock?
i tried putting the jacobs chuck to the headstock but the metal thing that goes inside the headstock slipped.

BTA, $200 for the midi lathe, teknatool 4 jaw chuck and jacobs chuck, is it a good deal?

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 18, 2013 05:53PM

I use a 3 jaw micro chuck which screws onto teh headstock. I don't like the Jacobs in teh headstock, although it is a good option. I prefer somethign spinning at 4000 RPM's to be screwed in rather than friction fit.

Date: March 18, 2013 06:08PM

By the way Billy, virtually all of the industrial drill presses use an MT or similar style base on their chuck.

It is much much easier to have a 100% true running chuck with an MT style base, than a threaded chuck.

I have an MT style chuck on my drill press. I commonly run the drill press up to 5000 rpm with no issues at all.

-----------
Ridge,
Does your 1/2 inch chuck have an end on it with a taper on it that fits into either the tail stock or the head stock.
If is possible that you have a different taper on the head stock, compared to the tail stock, but that is not normally the case.

If you put the chuck into a tapered head stock, just give the chuck a good rap with a rubber mallet to seat it well into the socket to insure a non slip fit.

If you still have slippage or wobble, then it is likely that you do not have matching tapers on your lathe.

May I ask, what make and model lathe that you have?

Date: March 18, 2013 06:10PM

For smaller shafts, my preference is always with a Jacobs chuck on the head stock.
The only time that I will use a conventional 3 or 4 jaw chuck is for the time that I need to allow the shaft to extend through the head stock for a shorter projection over the lath bed.

Roger

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: March 18, 2013 06:29PM

Go on Line and see if the jaws can be reversed so that they close smaller. I am not familiar with this chuck, but some do. It is a simple procedure if it is available on this chuck.

Posted by: Matt Davis (---.fergus.prtel.com)
Date: March 18, 2013 06:55PM

Penn State Industries has a 3-jaw that will chuck up 1/4" mandrels. The nice thing about a jawed chuck is the ability for the mandrel to go thru the chuck and then you don't have the entire length of your mandrel out between your chuck and tail.

I have 3 and 4-jaw chucks along with 3/8" and 1/2" Jacobs chucks. Each have their place. The 3-jaw is on the lathe 90% or more of the time.

I'll also 2nd Randolph's comments. I believe my 4-jaw has the ability to reverse the jaws. It also came with about 4 different sets of jaws.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 18, 2013 09:37PM

You may be able to change out the jaws on your self centering chuck to allow you go as small as you want. A set of spigot or pin jaws should do the trick. What make is the chuck?

Date: March 18, 2013 09:41PM

Not all 3 jaw micros are hollowed out. Teh one tha tI use is not, I really dislike those because they have the tendency to allow teh mandrel to slide into teh headstock and come off of the tailstock, whip around and possible knock your teeth out or whale you in teh arm - you're lucky if all that happens is the mandrel gets bent into a V. If you are going to use a 3 jaw that is hollow, you need to use a live jacobs on teh tailstock, or some sort of stop to prevent the mandrel from sliding in.

Another reason why I like the 3 jaw chuck is I can grip mandrels up to almost 3/4" down to 1/16" drill bits. Like MAtt, mine stays on my lathe 90% of teh time, the only time I take it off is to put a 4 jaw to bore, or a REnzetti style 3 jaw to hold power reamers.

Date: March 18, 2013 09:55PM

roger, the lathe is a rockler mc1018.
Tom, the chuck is a teknatool 4 jaw precision midi chuck.

the jacobs chuck goes to about 1/2 inch that is keyed, i tried to tap it into the headstock with a rubber mallet and it takes it, MT2.
but i dont want to use the jacobs chuck in the headstock because i want it int he tailstock, since it is keyed, i want it to grip the mandrel so it wont come flying into my face.
i need to find a stepd down jaw to grip 1/4, i like the teknatool because it is also keyed, i can tighten it so the mandrel wont fly.

Date: March 18, 2013 10:00PM

Teknatool offers various jaw sets including pin and spigot jaws, for that chuck. They'll close down on a pencil lead.

Date: March 18, 2013 10:58PM

Ridge,
Actually, I have the same lathe:

[www.rockler.com]

I have found that it works very very well for anything that I want to use it for.
I like the additional bed extension as well. It is nice to be able to slide the tail stock down out of the way, when it is not needed.

I also had a friend modify backing plates for me for a 3 inch and a 4 inch machinist chuck. These larger machine chucks work well for some of the larger objects that I have used from time to time.

I agree with the other posts about purchasing additional jaws for your chuck. With the right jaws, you will be able to tighten the chuck nice and secure on the smaller objects.

Roger

Date: March 19, 2013 09:28AM

I wouldn't buy different jaws just to grip a mandrel. Most jaws have 8 screws which you have to take off, then put back on. For $45 get the 3 jaw micro and take 5 seconds to unscrew it and screw teh other one on, or get another Jacobs. Both of these holds mandrels sufficiently with no slip.

Date: March 19, 2013 11:12AM

The pin or spigot jaws only have to be put on once. They'll open up to hold about anything so you don't have to swap back and forth. The spigot jaws on my OneWay Talon chuck have never been removed since they were installed many years ago. I can chuck 2.5 inch square turning stock with them, or a 1/8th inch mandrel. So I don't even have to change chucks - one chuck and one jaw set does it all.

Date: March 19, 2013 11:24AM

But he has a Nova Midi, which will require him to interchange jaws. For rodbuilding, as far as I know the only reason to have a 4 jaw chuck is to bore square stock. If he's doing reel seats using pen blanks he might be able to get by with one set of jaws with the Nova. If he's using bigger blocks and turning handles, he will have to interchange jaws to go from teh boring process, to putting that same grip on a mandrel. AS opposed to unscrewing teh chuck and either screwing anothre on, or putting the jacobs in teh headstock.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2013 11:31AM by Billy Vivona.

Date: March 19, 2013 11:26AM

I thought a photo might better illustrate what I'm describing.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Once you make the change, you won't need to change the jaws again unless you're going to be doing some larger wood turning projects such as turning bowls. The photo shows the same chuck on a 1/4 inch steel mandrel and on a 2-1/8th inch turning square. They'll hold about anything and most chuck makers can even supply a center spur that fits into the chuck itself.

You'll just have to figure out how you'll come out best. It may be that a Jacobs type chuck is still your best option if it comes out to cost less than a set of spigot or pin jaws. Or, the Technatool chuck may not have enough total opening capacity to do all the things you need to do. You'll just have to consider your options and go from there.

Date: March 19, 2013 11:29AM

Nova is a product made by Technatool. They offer both spigot and pin jaws for all the Nova chucks. I think they're about $35 to $40 for a set.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster