I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

BIlly Vivona EVA Grip - How to?
Posted by: Mark Unwichtig (---.dip0.t-ipconnect.de)
Date: March 18, 2013 02:29PM

How can i make so a beautiful Grip?
[www.rodbuilding.org]
How thick is the EVA?

This Rose isn't a EVA-block like/how this:
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: BIlly Vivona EVA Grip - How to?
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 18, 2013 05:55PM

I cut all teh different pieces up, glue them together like a jigsaw puzzle, then I wrap it around a small core of EVA. lol, it's a lot easier just to order an EVA grip inlay from me...but I would never do anything like the Rose for someone else due to the amount of time it takes (I spent abotu 20 hours on that grip).

Date: March 19, 2013 09:30AM

Here is my method on making grip inlays, it takes me less than 5 minutes to make them as you can see in the videos. It took me a LOT of research and a lot of tinkering to come up with this technique. This is how they do Marquetry, how they make veneers, so it's nothign new. I just took those techniques and made them work with the materials I use and how to instal them on fishing rods I figured out on my own. I really would like to do a Decorative Grips DVD/Book, I've been saying this for 3 years though.

[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2013 09:37AM by Billy Vivona.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 19, 2013 11:02AM

Billy
What kind of glue did you use to glue the sections together before you sliced them thin
I am thinking that contact sement would not let you push the pieces into each other ??

Bill - willierods.com

Date: March 19, 2013 02:06PM

Billy Vivona Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>... then I wrap it
> around a small core of EVA.
I saw the video... but do you use glue to do this?

>lol, it's a lot easier
> just to order an EVA grip inlay from me...
I don't live in USA so i think it's expensive to import!
How does one EVA grip costs?
Without shipping....

Thank you for the Video-Links!
Very interesting for me.

Date: March 19, 2013 02:50PM

Mark, I try to keep teh price of the grips under $150 for a set. Abotu $30 per hour which is really cheap considering most builders around here get $50-75 an hour to wrap a basic rod.

Date: March 19, 2013 04:18PM

Just one color of thread ?????

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Adam Curtis (---.static-ip.telepacific.net)
Date: March 20, 2013 12:45PM

Thanks for posting those videos.

You've definitely dialed in the process of making those grips. Very nice!

Posted by: John E Powell (168.169.226.---)
Date: March 20, 2013 01:26PM

Billy,

I've done some of the more geometric style grips based on pictures you and others have posted, but I haven't yet attempted any of the "marquetry style" grip skins (for lack of a better description) you demonstrated here. On a much more detailed grip do you find you need to alter the thickness of the skin?

I've done a lot of marquetry with veneers over the years so I want to try something pretty challenging in foam. On the more intricate patterns you've done or have seen others do, would you use a similar thickness skin or have it thinner or thicker if there were many more color transitions? Basically, do you find a high number of seams or the narrow width of some color transitions to require different handling?

Date: March 20, 2013 04:07PM

Adam, thank you.
John, I customize teh inlay that I'm doing so that it's easy for me to cut and glue them up. I try to avoid thin pointy areas. I do not want to make somethign that has an "ameoba" shape, as it is difficult to glue up. The thickness should be 2mm regardless. This gives you enough room to sand flush, and not go all teh way through. Plus you can easily wrap a 2mm piece. If you make the inlay thick, say 4mm - it is harder to wrap around and there is more of a chance of the pieces splitting open. Contact cement doesn't like to be stretched.

I hope this answerred your question? If not let me know an dI'll try again. I learned all of this by trial and error and adjusting and modifying my technques. I had nobody to ask, and it took me a couple of years to dial it in. I'm willing to share, but somewhat reluctant due to how much I put into this.

Date: March 20, 2013 05:17PM

Very informative and gave me a lot to think about
Thanks for posting first time I put the sound on --- You did not say anything ????

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: John E Powell (---.buffalo.res.rr.com)
Date: March 20, 2013 09:33PM

Thanks Billy, you answered my question.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 21, 2013 01:15AM

Hello Billy.

Thanks for sharing yet again and your ease at instruction gets better every time you instruct.

Well thanks again and hope your shop gets back up soon so you can get back to what you do.

Tight Wraps My Friend.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Date: March 22, 2013 06:16PM

@Billy
Where do you buy your colored eva-blocks?
I know mudhole.com but they don't have enough colors (i miss yellow, white... and and and).

Date: March 22, 2013 07:23PM

Mark, I am the only supplier of unbored blocks in stock. xlrods@yahoo.com and we can talk. I'm not a sponsor here any more so I cannot post, but I'm just answerring your question and not spamming or skirting the rules.

Date: March 23, 2013 08:54AM

Can you please say me the metrics in millimeter (mm) of one eva-block and whats the price?

Date: March 23, 2013 09:15AM

You have to e-mail me, I'm not a sponsor here so I cannot post that info

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster