I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Front Grip
Posted by: Nicholas Russo (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: March 17, 2013 08:39PM

I was wondering how this company do their front grips any help?
they can put whatever you want inside the grip

[www.myshopkart.net]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Front Grip
Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: March 17, 2013 08:55PM

I believe you posted about this a few days ago....I have researched it and they are not giving much information about it. What I am seeing is they are claiming it is a rubber like material but also claiming that it helps you feel your bait better....????? If you introduce a rubber compound of any sort it is going to absorb any of the vibrations you need to "feel you bait". It seems they are playing with words to make their product sound impressive. In archery if you do NOT want to feel the bow cams vibrations in your hand then you add rubber. On golf clubs if you do NOT want to feel the vibrations in the shaft you add a better rubber grip.... Rubber kills vibrations...

Date: March 17, 2013 08:58PM

yea I did post this a few days ago I just want to figure it out it looks really nice, just trying to get more info.

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 17, 2013 09:30PM

Hi, try calling the company and ask them. Go straight to the top.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Posted by: Ladd Flock (---.lightspeed.gnbonc.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 17, 2013 10:53PM

Those front grips are modeled after Jesse Bulky's encapsulated foregrips which were highlighted in the photo gallery of Rodmaker Volume 4, Issue 5. I believe Jesse made them using a mold, narrow pvc tube and flexcoat as a casting resin. He encapsulated all kinds of hat pins and such. I saw them at his shop in Virginia Beach. He's passed on, though, and likely taken details of his technique with him... Here are some pics of his grips and his shop:

[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Here's a post with his description:
[rodbuilding.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2013 11:03PM by Ladd Flock.

Date: March 18, 2013 07:44AM

Hi,

Call Merrick Tackle and ask if they have any of Jesse's grip's left in stock, 1-800-628-8904.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 18, 2013 07:58AM

Simple
Take any light wood or whatever Shap sand paint put on whatever you want Clear done
Or use this and do the same
[www.swamplandtackle.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Date: March 18, 2013 03:23PM

Yea I looked at the jessi grips and that's what they are using, I just haven't figured out how they mold them ive asked the guy directly but he said its a secret...

Date: March 18, 2013 03:35PM

Shape out some soft wood
Paint Clear
Cork is full of holes Unless you fill them first

I am going to try coating eva just for the heck of it

Bill - willierods.com

Date: March 18, 2013 04:23PM

I looked at ladd flocks post and its really the same idea, I never really thought of coating eva let me know how it goes.

Date: March 18, 2013 04:49PM

just some thing I have been thinking about i will cut off a piece of some stuff I got and try tomorrow

Bill - willierods.com

Date: March 18, 2013 05:08PM

Hi Nicholas,

I own 2 of Jesse's grips with the flounder inside. He explained to us, RodCrafters at a National Seminar, how he constructed them. I have the basic idea but not all the details. I don't remember if he gave out an info handout or just spoke. We need a RodCrafter who was there with a better memory than I.

You could file out a section of eva grip, install a pin and then keep applying coats of finish till you filled the gap. Yes it would take time but it would be inexpensive.

I did check the Senzi grip pics. I did notice the Patent Applied info. For real or to chase folks away.

I just love these guys who state that what they have is a secret. Many years ago everything was a secret until RodCrafters came on the scene about 30 years ago and started sharing info. Now RodMaker mag and RodBuilding.org carry the sharing banner and we are very fortunate for them.

I I uncover any info I will post it.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Date: March 18, 2013 06:25PM

I have just coated a piece of eva with finish
I was suppressed that it did not soak in Thought it would

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: March 18, 2013 06:41PM

I spoke to jessy about his when he was still around. His were on pvc pipe covered with shelf paper then he had a mold and used flex coat to encapsulate the pins.

Date: March 18, 2013 06:53PM

Hi John,

You are right! What I don't remember is what Jesse used for the outer edge of the mold. I think it was natural latex. But how did he keep it round. Probably close to 20 years ago I saw his rig and of course have forgotten. I get time I will go back thru the RodCrafter Journals to see if Jesse ever wrote an article.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Date: March 18, 2013 07:26PM

you guys are great help thanks for info

Date: March 18, 2013 07:49PM

Bill B,

I have a fellow rod builder who has been applying finish to eva grips for years. It is usually the front end of the fore grip. He runs it up from ther butt wrap to about 1/2" onto the eva. I looks sharp and he has not had any problems.

Neil

Capt Neil Faulkner

Date: March 18, 2013 08:54PM

Capt Neil

Got a section of eva on the dryer now
Got to wait till tomorrow to see if it tends to do what I am thinking of ??
my cork i have been coating with finish Heavy let dry then sand trying to fill all the little nooks and crannies
once filled and level A thin coat and a fine sand with 0000 steal wool just to take the shine off
I like how they come out

been thinking of the same thing with Cork with eva in it or even eva and eva strips Coated ??

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster