I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Loose cork rings in front of handle fix help
Posted by: jim mitro (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 17, 2013 09:47AM

I have an 1970's Garcia Deluxe Ultra Lite spinning rod that has an all cork handle. The first three cork rings (closest to the first guide) have become loose and spin on the rod blank.
I cannot move them up the blank due to the criss cross rod wrapping on it. Trying to keep the rod looking as original as possible. Doesn't have much room to get glue down between the rings. Any suggestions on best way to fix this or trick to get glue in between cork rings? Also, what glue would you recommend?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Cheers

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Loose cork rings in front of handle fix help
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 17, 2013 10:36AM

Remove the cork rings (cut them off); measure the diameter of the blank; ream new cork rings to correct diameter; slice cork rings in half; glue in place; wrap with thread until dry then sand to original shape. If the diameter is not too great you MAY be able to make only one cut & spread the cork open sufficiently to slide over the blank.

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.42.152.---)
Date: March 17, 2013 10:45AM

First, devise a way to clamp the rings together after you get the epoxy into the right places. You want to be able to firmly, but not excessively, hold them together. You will want to have access to the outer surfaces of the rings when clamped. A two piece piece of wood with a center hole and split so it can be applied between the first guide and the rings will do at the front, or a one piece piece of wood with a slot to allow it to be slid into position, and another that can be stabilized at the rear of the handle will do. Use rubber bands to generate the compression of the rings that you need. Or other ideas to compress the rings.

Apply the liquid type epoxy into the spaces down to the blank and between the rings with a hypodermic needle. Spin the rings while lightly pressing them together to distribute the epoxy. Wipe any excess or spillage off with alcohol. Clamp the rings back together making sure the alignment is good. Finally, with alcohol, wipe all excess off the surfaces. You will not be able to make a good job of it if you leave the epoxy on the surfaces until it hardens. Check a few times as it is hardening to see if more has squeezed out, and clean it off.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 17, 2013 11:23AM

Do it all the time on fly rods where thumb destroys cork.
remove old cork by filing or cutting along glue line. I turn mine on a lathe for a more accurate job.

Important: If you take out 3 rings - glue 3 new rings together. Do not try to glue 3 separate rings in place!! Clamp by using 1/4" threaded rod (well waxed) with fender washers (well waxed) on both ends. tension with wing nuts or hex nuts. Don't clamp too tight. Just enough to seat rings together. When epoxy (not 5 min. -please!!) is cured remove from clamp and ream hole to proper diameter determined by blank.

NOW cut ring assembly in half with a sharp knife. I use a non-serrated bread with "wavy" cutting edge Do not saw it.
Apply epoxy to blank and ring surfaces.
Wrap ring assembly around blank.
Wrap new rings with kitchen plastic wrap. Use hose clamps (you will need two) to clamp ring assembly in place. This will expand the cork slightly if fit too loose.
After epoxy cured - take apart - remove plastic wrap and sand to proper size. Again - I do this on a lathe.

good luck.

Contact me if need more help,.
Regards,.
Herb

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 17, 2013 01:27PM

Jim,
A very simple solution is to cut the cork off the blank.
Clean up the blank, and then just do a thread wrap from the reel seat to the criss cross wraps.
If you like, you can do an epoxy ramp at the reel seat and call it good.
No real need for the cork in front of the reel seat, and it allows the user to better feel the blank.

Be safe
Roger

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.lightspeed.bcvloh.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 17, 2013 04:49PM

I do the same as Ken.
When glueing more than 1 ring I do turn the seams when I put them back on the rod. I don`t know if it matters, I just think it is better if they are not lined up.

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Date: March 17, 2013 09:35PM

The original posting indicates that Jim wants to keep the rod looking as original as possible. Cutting and replacing and/or removing rings will not accomplish that. Doing any of these options will not, in my opinion, result in anything close to matching the original appearance of the rod. New rings will look like shaving half one's face, and getting exact diameter match will be almost impossible. Sanding afterward will certainly help, but will not likely result in a match.

Before doing that it makes sense to try the repair route and only go to more severe actions if the repair doesn't work.

If you get the repair to work you may want to sand the whole grip with fine sandpaper then treat with cork preservative/sealer or tru oil. Don't underestimate the need to get all of the epoxy off the surfaces of the rings before it hardens.

Posted by: Dave Loren (---.prvdri.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 18, 2013 08:11AM

Determine how much depth you have of cork. (difference between rod OD and cork OD) drill a 1/32 or 1/64 hole to blank depth. Pour mixture into syringe than set syringe in hot water for about 3-4 minutes to make mixture very thin. Using the syringe inject epoxy into the small void between blank and cork. After all done take some cork dust and cover hole. Now you have a repair with original look. I do a lot of repairs and refurbishing.

Dave
East Bay Custom Fly Rods

Date: March 18, 2013 07:21PM

You got the way to go, Jim, Dave has been there, done that, and knows what you are trying to accomplish. I still can't help adding, don't let any epoxy harden on the surfaces of the cork rings.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster