I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

What Color Preserver to Use
Posted by: Rick Gilman (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 14, 2013 04:46PM

I am just getting back in to rod building after not building a rod for a couple of years and was wondering what color preserver to use.. In the past I used Gudebrod that is not available any more. i just finished a rod and used Cason's Crystal CP and did not like it, the guide tunnels were dark and thread color that was underneath other thread showed through. Can someone give me a suggestion on a CP that will retain the color of the threads without bleading through. Thanks Rick

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What Color Preserver to Use
Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: March 14, 2013 05:27PM

I have always used flexcoat cp. It goes on white so you can see where you put it and dries fast. I will be trying the American Tackle cp as soon as this runs out, has the same fast drying qualities. I try to stay with water based.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2013 06:01PM by Don Morse.

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.33.210.---)
Date: March 14, 2013 05:48PM

You are going to get recommendations up the wazoo, everyone has a favorite that works for them, but they have trouble with others. So I'll give you my recommendation, like Don, FC, two coats, wipe off the excess after a minute or two.

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.direcway.com)
Date: March 14, 2013 06:14PM

I've used almost all of them. I think that U-40 Color Lock and ChromaSeal have the best color retention now that the original Gudebrod 211 is no longer available. I think all of them will work. Cason's Crystal Clear Solvent base tends to darken the threads a bit more than the two mentioned above. I personally don't thin the whitish CP since this dilutes the amount of the solids (the white stuff) and you are more likely to have a failure.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: Steve Mcleod (---.79.244.87.dyn.jtglobal.com)
Date: March 14, 2013 06:24PM

"Chromaseal" The best on the Market! fantastic colour retention on the lightest and darkest colours. If you were to do a survey on what cp most rod builders use on their dec wrap or weave, then Chromaseal would be top of the list.

Jersey, Channel Islands. (U.K.)

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: March 14, 2013 06:55PM

Trondak U-40 beats them all hands down!!! I have tested them all and have found none better.

Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: March 14, 2013 06:56PM

100 different answers is what you will get with a question like that.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 14, 2013 08:05PM

The ones mentioned all work pretty well. I've used both the U-40 Chromaseal products with good success. Some points to remember:

Make sure these are mixed (the white versions) well.
Apply liberally, then wick up the excess after a couple of minutes
Wait overnight to apply another coat or your finish.

I'm usually good with one coat, ensuring the wraps are flooded.

Terry

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.lightspeed.gnvlsc.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 14, 2013 09:31PM

I like the Cason's solvent base on darker thread and American Talkle water base on lighter colors. I always use two coats of CP minimum, followed by at least one coat of Permagloss/Lumiseal. Then epoxy. I do agree the old Gudebrod 811 was the best!

Ed Smith
Flat Rock, NC

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 14, 2013 10:38PM

I have used several and went back to Flexcoat

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Col Chaseling (101.174.54.---)
Date: March 15, 2013 12:40AM

Hi Rick,
Everyone will have their favorite, you'll have to find yours. I was put onto chromaseal about five years ago for colour retention and stopping fisheyes with madeira thread. It does what I want, ie no fisheyes and spool colours so I see no need to experiment with others. They probably all work well for certain applications so you need to find one that works for your methods.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster