I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Top Coating Carbon Skinned Grips
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 12, 2013 07:05PM

I helped a couple folks do this over the past week and shot some quick video. Here's how it's done:

[www.youtube.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Top Coating Carbon Skinned Grips
Posted by: Ken Finch (204.45.134.---)
Date: March 12, 2013 07:16PM

Beautiful. Almost too simple, or you just make it look easy.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 12, 2013 10:15PM

Very Nice!!!!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Col Chaseling (101.174.54.---)
Date: March 13, 2013 01:05AM

I seem to remember having seen something very similar demonstrated during my time in Highpoint. People that are good at something always make it look easy, although it's not very difficult if you follow the instuctions. A bit different from the way Mike finishes his but I'm thinking the Permagloss is a bit tougher than epoxy and is the way I will go. I think I will use some of Mikes and some of Toms methods for making these grips in the near future. Thanks to Tom for giving me a first hand view of what he does with these grips.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: March 13, 2013 06:05AM

So Tom... let me make sure I have this right. You used epoxy to fix the carin in place, a first coat with epoxy, sand, then final coat with pg?

Date: March 13, 2013 07:16AM

Yes. A thin urethane isn't the correct medium for wetting out or sealing the skin. It's much too thin. Epoxy is the correct product for that. Urethane is the better product for top coating.

Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: March 13, 2013 07:45AM

Thanks Tom, great video.

Posted by: Mihalyfalvi Gabriel (78.96.148.---)
Date: March 13, 2013 08:57AM

Thank you Sir...its look easy in your hand ...but im bet it needs a lot of experience to achive that "eas" :).
Little details makes huge differences.

Great video..thanks.

Date: March 13, 2013 10:29AM

What Mike is doing with paints and additives most likely requires the use of an epoxy. The urethane is my choice for a clear top coating, but isn't likely going to work for what Mike is doing. Two different looks, two different products required.

Posted by: Mihalyfalvi Gabriel (78.96.148.---)
Date: March 13, 2013 11:39AM

I see a plus for PG , because of the less wheight.

Posted by: Ben Krakow (---.snpr.wi.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 01, 2013 09:40PM

Tom,

I made my first carbon grip this past week. I followed closely to your articles in the rod maker magazines. The grip turned out decent for my first attempt. However, I happened to come across your Youtube video after I had already sprayed my grip with helmsman spray urethane. Now I question, which way of applying the urethane is your preferred method? I'm not overly fond of my results using anything out of a spray can. Did the method of brushing on the urethane prove to be a superior method to the spray can? I'm just curious to which way will give me the best results.

Thanks,

Ben

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster