I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

madeira or pro wrap...
Posted by: mick vickers (---.a1a.zs.ncren.net)
Date: March 11, 2013 01:40PM

which one do most prefer? these two seem to be the most common (with guidbrod no longer available). i need get some more thread and will order a "kit" with different colors. mudhole sells kits with 40 spools of pro wrap or 30 spools of madeira, each comes with a box to store the spools; does anyone else sell thread in kits like this? all the websites i have seen just sell individual spools.

oops, just clicked a link on the left and see fishhawk has kits also.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2013 01:42PM by mick vickers.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: madeira or pro wrap...
Posted by: Col Chaseling (101.174.54.---)
Date: March 11, 2013 03:01PM

Hi Mick,
Madeira is an embroidery thread which contains silicon so you have to use cp or you get fisheyes in the finish. It is strong enough for guide wraps ( I did a lot of tests ) and I use it a lot for wraps mainly because of the outstanding color range. Prowrap and FishHawk will have ncp and regular nylon versions, never used either so won't comment.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Date: March 11, 2013 03:28PM

thank you Col.

Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: March 11, 2013 03:46PM

I pretty much use only Pro Wrap color fast now.

Posted by: John Martines (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 11, 2013 04:13PM

Fishhawk!!

Posted by: Dave O'Brien (202.74.138.---)
Date: March 11, 2013 04:33PM

I used pro wrap for quite a few rods and then i brought a Madeira kit and they are a lot brighter and a lot more vibrant then most of the pro wrap colours but as Col said they are an embroidery thread which contains silicon so CP is required. I know the pictures in a lot of the supplier’s catalogues don’t the Madeira thread any justice.

I think both are good threads and use them side by side but I like the Madeira more for the colours and range.

Dave O'Brien
Port Macquarie
Australia

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 11, 2013 05:04PM

Be very careful of the ProWrap kit ! I bought one prior to ICRBE and am very disappointed with the color selection in the kit. Most seem to be the least popular colors and very few of the most popular. Almost appears to be a way of moving the slow moving colors.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2013 01:11AM by Phil Erickson.

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.lightspeed.gnvlsc.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 11, 2013 09:15PM

From my personel point of view I like the Prowrap or Fishhak since Gudebrod is not avaliable. I don't like Maderia, It is colorful but I find it hard to work with. Thank goodness I got a good stock of Gudebrod!

Ed Smith
Flat Rock, NC

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.nbrncmtc01.nwbrnc.ab.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: March 11, 2013 09:28PM

FISHHAWK

Posted by: Eric MONTACLAIR (---.fbx.proxad.net)
Date: March 12, 2013 01:57AM

I had very bad experience with Fishhawk.
ProWrap is very nice, I only use the standard (no NCP) and it is very good, the Metallic is good too.

Posted by: David Boyle (101.162.132.---)
Date: March 12, 2013 06:25AM

If I hold Madeira Polyneon between my fingers and pull, it snaps easily. Not so with ProWrap. I guess once you are used to using Madeira then you would learn how to handle it.

Dave

Posted by: chris adams (---.treksafaris.com)
Date: March 12, 2013 09:47AM

My vote goes to the Prowrap. I use the color fast prowrap and the metallic. I have found it to be easy to work with and it goes on all my MHX blanks.

Posted by: Mark Fisher (---.lns6.fli.bigpond.net.au)
Date: March 12, 2013 06:05PM

Try using different brands of threads for differing effects. Try not to get into the mindset of just one brand of thread is the best. Each and very brand of thread, whether regular nylon, NCP or polyester has different tensions or wrapping properties which the builder needs to be aware of. The whole idea of the craft of rodbuilding is to expand on what is considered the "norm" and develop from it. A few years ago who would have thought to use polyester threads for decorative cross wraps. A few people (Billy Vivona comes to mind and others) pushed the envelop and suddenly heaps of builders now use Madeira thread as a result. Push the boarders and learn from it otherwise the craft will stagnate IMHO.

Regards
Mark
Outback Rods

Posted by: Tim Wiehe (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: March 12, 2013 08:02PM

I agree with Mark. It is not uncommon for me to use several different brands on each rod. Luckly I still have quite a bit of gudebroad left, and a bit of fishhawk,pacbay,sulky,ect. I have mostly madeira due to the
huge color choices and its half the cost of all the others. Knock on wood I havent had any breakage issues. Also a nice tip that I got from Saltydog Bill Havens in regards to finishing madeira is after youve done the
CP thing and you are mixing up your choice of finish is put a 1"-2" piece of madeira thread in the mixing cup as you are mixing up the resin. Dont ask me how this works but I have never had any fisheye problems
with the madeira since doing this method. Something about silicone release during the mixing process that causes the silicone to neutralize. All I know is it works.
Tim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2013 08:06PM by Tim Wiehe.

Date: March 13, 2013 12:28PM

thank you guys!! all i have now is pro wrap, and in my limited experience it has been fine, the metallic is a little "springy" and i had trouble with it kinking while running it through the eyes on the thread carriage. phil, i agree that the color selection in the pro wrap kit @#$%&, no black or white even?! i ordered the madiera 30 spool kit to start practicing some of billy's bad a$$ wraps so i'll have to remember the trick about the thread in the finish while mixing. thanks for the tips!!

Posted by: Chester Kiekhafer (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: March 16, 2013 10:03PM

These are all great suggestions by people that are way more experienced then me. I've been building for about a year now. I've started using Gudebrod the I used some Fish Hawk ProWrap and now I'm onto using some embroidery thread I get at my local fabric and craft store. Now sure I can say the name but the initials are C & C. This seems to work well for me and the color selection is great and the pricing is better.

Chester

May your line be tight and your beverages be cold!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster