I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

snake or single foot fly
Posted by: Wes Motsinger (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: March 10, 2013 10:09PM

going to build a 8' 4wt fly for my self 1st time for me. do i use snake or single foot guides for this thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: snake or single foot fly
Posted by: Walt Natzke (---.dhcp.trlk.ca.charter.com)
Date: March 10, 2013 10:37PM

It is MOSTLY a cosmetic choice. There is a slight difference in effective weight when you take into account two wraps + epoxy per guide (with the snake guide). This extra weight, no matter how slight, WILL dampen the blank a bit. Whether it is enough to affect the way your blank casts depends on the blank. If it is a very fast blank you won't notice it much, and in fact you might like the slightly slower action. If, however, it is already a mid-flex blank, you will notice it more and might be better served with the single-foot guides.

Hope that helps,

Walt Natzke
Ripon, CA

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 11, 2013 01:35AM

If it is your first build, I recommend single foot, as it entails 1/2 the number of wraps. As mentioned above this save some weight and is also less wrapping work. build only fly rods and only use single foot guides regardless of the rod weight.

Posted by: Chris Herrera (---.sub-174-233-193.myvzw.com)
Date: March 11, 2013 06:51AM

Wes,

If you are going to use this in the winter, you may notice single foot guides freeze up quicker then snake guides. (If you're in that type of area that experiences the seasons) At least, that has been my experience.

However, I still use them......less wraps, as Phil has pointed out.

Chris

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 11, 2013 08:27AM

snake guides are also more durable so if you are a guy who bangs on the equipment hard or busts lots of brush when finhing snakes would be the way to go.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: March 11, 2013 11:09AM

Not all single foot guides are equal, nor are all snake guides, and price is not necessarily a reliable indicator of materials or workmanship. Furthermore, some snake guides are significantly lighter than most single-foot guides, along with being significantly more durable - light Recoil NiTi snakes, for instance. A self-built rod provides personal satisfaction, and researching materials and techniques increases satisfaction. Have fun.

Posted by: Kevin Shaw (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 11, 2013 12:42PM

I've built several fly rods using lightweight single foot guides. The upside is that they hold the line away from the rod, so there's less drag on the line, especially once it's wet. The downside is that they can get bent (see Eric's note above), so you'll need to check them occasionally.

Date: March 11, 2013 09:29PM

thanks guys for the input going to start on it here soon

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 11, 2013 10:42PM

Even though there are double the wraps, double foot snakes are probably easier than singles for the new builder. They are more durable, as pointed out and unless you use REC single foots, they can be bent and broken more easily.

Having said that, I use single foot guides on all my 5 wt rods and lower. Be sure to use the security wrap on these or they will pull out over time. (article in the library).

Terry

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 12, 2013 08:41AM

Some are using Minima single foots on fly rods
Check them out

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.33.210.---)
Date: March 12, 2013 08:58AM

Some believe that snakes pass the line better, especially the line to backing knot on salt applications. My son and I used both side by side on bones and found no difference in function. Keep in mind that single foot guides may be either wire or ceramic, the wire being lighter. Also, the material matters, especially in salt. Just because it is stated that the guide is stainless steel isn't enough description to tell whether it is the best for salt. My current rod is using the same wire single foot guides that were on a previous rod for years and I've never had one bend. It depends on how you treat your rod.

Date: March 12, 2013 10:07PM

thanks guy for the replies and thanks for the info terry

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster