I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Three fourths of a fly rod blank?
Posted by: Al Stromberg (---.roch.qwest.net)
Date: March 10, 2013 01:54PM

Due to a broken tip section I have the lower 3 sections of a 4 piece Pac Bay 8'6'' 5 weigth fly rod blank. Probably a dumb question, but is there anything I can make out of these 3 sections? Would these 3 sections, which total about 6'5" make a decent spinning rod? Thanks,

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Three fourths of a fly rod blank?
Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: March 10, 2013 03:03PM

send it back to Pac Bay an get the top section , they will mate it an charge you a small fee for the tip I think that is what I would do or put come demos on it for your wraps to see how they come out , if you do send it back talk to them frist an get a feel on what they will do , new tip or a """ NEW BLANK "" the reason , any hard wear to save if you want ,
[ some do & some don't ] I am a new at this but that is how I see it ,
BILL

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Al Stromberg (---.roch.qwest.net)
Date: March 10, 2013 08:16PM

I did send the blank back to PacBay. I expected a new tip section but they sent me a complete new blank. Thus I now have 3/4 of a blank.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 10, 2013 08:29PM

If you have any scrap sections laying around - you may be aable to make up a tip section ??

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Chris Herrera (---.sub-174-233-128.myvzw.com)
Date: March 10, 2013 08:31PM

Al,

You could cut a section from a broken blank, with a matching taper, and make yourself another section to replace the damaged part.

Or, as William said, do thread wrap demos on it.

Or, go with your idea of making it a 3 piece spinning rod. Tape the guides on and see if it gives you the performance you may be interested in. If not, refer to suggestions one and two above....

Chris

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 10, 2013 08:46PM

You'd have an extremely slow action rod, sort of "club-like."

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: March 10, 2013 11:58PM

i would save them for repairs, extensions, and reamers

George Forster
Fort Collins, CO

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: March 11, 2013 08:53AM

Reamers.
Can never have enough reamers. Ones for EVA separate ones for cork.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 11, 2013 09:36AM

Al,
Rods like this work very well to be used for pushing wire through walls when rewiring a house.
They also work very well to pull a wire through a boat when you are rewiring a boat.
In actual use - it is quite nice to strip off the guides, and just keep the pieces around for use to help out with jobs like the above mentioned ones.

Be safe

Roger

Date: March 11, 2013 09:43AM

Short tomato sticks ?? Spring is coming

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 11, 2013 02:06PM

Bill -
Too short for pole beans. I planted pole beans last year, and I should have used 10 foot stakes rather than the 4 foot stakes that I used.

The other option for the rod blank is to keep it around for rod blank pieces for rod repair and splicing.

Be safe
Roger

Date: March 11, 2013 03:13PM

I have a cardboard tube from a shipped blank I use for scrap pieces
Any time i cut some thing up I just drop it into the tube

Then i have blanks in two corners of the ( living room ? ) several boxes of Stuff rod tubs blank sections and more Under The Couch ?? Got to get rid of some of this Wayyy toooo much

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster