I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Microwave - distance from spool lip to 1st (butt) guide
Posted by: Mo Yang (---.dslextreme.com)
Date: March 09, 2013 04:01PM

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere but I went to the manufacturer's site and did a search here and did not find what I am looking for.

I understand the distance calculation of the 27x system for the spool to the first guide and use it with beautiful results.

However, with the microwave guide, is there a formula for placement from the spool lip to the first butt guide?
Is it much closer than the 27x system?
Do you vary it depending on spool diameter and/or line test?

The goal is to have maximum casting distance.

Again,apologies if this has been answered elsewhere as I could not find it.

Thanks,
Mo

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Microwave - distance from spool lip to 1st (butt) guide
Posted by: Wes Motsinger (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: March 09, 2013 05:04PM

19 1/2 to butt guide 30 1/2 for transition guide 39 7/8 for running guide. this will get you in the ball park but can move up and down to fit your reel size.

Mot's Custom Rods and Reels

Posted by: Wes Motsinger (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: March 09, 2013 09:35PM

from front of lip of spool i just got in from setting up one and had to move the stripper guide up a 1 inch and the transnsition guide up 1/2 inch

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 09, 2013 10:02PM

Just read the information on the Amtak site and follow it. As much as I dont' like doing that, it's what I ended uphaving to do on a 7' rod because I couldn't get it right. There measurements work perfectly...I don't beleive I typed that. I think if you havre a longer rod you can push the stripper guide further up the blank, but on a 7' there isn't enough room.

It couldn't be any easier

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.dslextreme.com)
Date: March 10, 2013 12:21PM

Thanks for the replies. Perhaps one should indeed just the set distance given on the manufacturer's website though it seems that there should be an interaction between spool diameter, line test etc and wondered if indeed everyone is simply using the preset manufacturers numbers.

Mo

Date: March 10, 2013 01:45PM

MO, I'm not going to disagree with you. I felt teh same way, I tinkered and tinkered and I couldn't get it to cast teh way it should have (I had cast a rod at ICAST prior to them giving me a set of guides so I know how it should perform). I called them and told them, and they gave me the specs, and it worked. I spent a good hour + casting and adjusting teh guides and couldn't get it right too. FOr me, I do not like having teh stripper and the next guide so far apart and that was teh problem I was running into. THe guide hieghts are set up so that th guides are placed a predetermined distance from each other. I guess you could tinker with teh position of teh stripper guide, as long as you keep the next 2 guides where they "belong", it should work.

Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: March 11, 2013 01:50PM

I have found the same thing, set up the stripper, transition and last running guide according to the sheet they give you, then place the rest of the runners where you like.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 11, 2013 04:25PM

Sounds like the SETS are not working the way they should
Maybe it would be better to sell the butt guide and let builders get there own transition guides

But it is written the system works ??????
I am confused

Bill - willierods.com

Date: March 11, 2013 06:55PM

Bill, you have no clue what you're talking about. Maybe you should just buy a set and see how easy it is, this way when you give an opinion it's based on actual first hand knowledge instead of bashing teh company because they won't sell teh guides seperately. What's funny is that they tell you how to set it up so that builders who think they know everything won't butcher the set up and start spreading false info about how confusing it is and how teh system doesn't work.

Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: March 11, 2013 07:33PM

Who said they don't work the way they should??... they work great. The folks at American Tackle did the research and testing with different size guides and different positions. What they found WORKS. They look like they are in the wrong spots but they work GREAT!!!. Have you tried them Bill? I suggest you do. I suggest everyone does, you will be impressed. I have been so impressed with them that I have set up 2 rods for customers and other builders to do the microwave challenge.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 12, 2013 09:18AM

I have heard nothing but good reports on them
Like said just got to read the placement directions

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster