I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

these old eyes...
Posted by: mick vickers (---.a1a.zs.ncren.net)
Date: March 07, 2013 11:26AM

ain't what they used to be! i'm gonna have to get a magnifying lamp! would flourescent or LED be better?
thanks,
mick

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: these old eyes...
Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 07, 2013 11:30AM

I use a Opti-visor Works Great! I use OTT lights More Natural light and Better Color

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 07, 2013 12:05PM

Mick,
I tried magnifying lights, but found that the light frame was always in the way.

Rather, I use a head band mounted magnifier. It works very very well, always have the magnification where you need it.

I also use a halogen swing arm light so that I can put the bright light - right on my work. It works very well.

[www.amazon.com]

I have a swing arm light - very similar to this one, that works very well to have very high intensity light - right in the area where I am working.
With the small reflector, the light is not in the way.

On some of my other machines, I have started using LED lights. Very very bright and very very compact.
So, a light like this might also work very well.
Led swing arm light:

[www.staples.com]

By the way, I found that a 3 lb coffee tin turned up side down is just the right size for the base of these lamps. The height of the coffee can is about the same as my rods, when on the wrapper. So, by having the light resting on the can, there is maximum swing of the arm, to put the light in the perfect spot.

I also have excellent overhead lights, but for detail work the use of localized very high intensity lighting makes a huge difference.

Roger

p.s.
I did have three different industrial quality - magnifying lights with circle lights around the magnifier. They have all been given away, because I just found them much too cumbersome, and much too much in the way when wrapping.

Date: March 07, 2013 12:06PM

i have something similar to that but don't love it, looking for a table lamp/magnifyer.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: March 07, 2013 02:40PM

I use a combination o a Luxo magnifying lamp and a Halogen lamp. Both have long swing arms. As stated above the large magnifying lamp can get in the way, but I have learned to work around the issue.

Posted by: John E Powell (168.169.226.---)
Date: March 07, 2013 02:47PM

Heh growing old is tough...

When I got my first set of bifocals I had a difficult time adjusting when I had to go to the restroom - I never knew if it was the one on the left or the right. Things got better when I needed trifocals, I discovered that it was the one in the middle.

Sorry, couldn't resist the humor - I hope Tom doesn't scold me.

Posted by: Larry Ohara (---.clppva.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 07, 2013 03:07PM

Opti-visor here also with a very bright reading light I have had since college.
Bulbs are very bright but were hard to find but I found a source and stocked up. They only last about 200hrs.

Larry

Posted by: Barry Chapman (---.41.70.115.static.exetel.com.au)
Date: March 07, 2013 05:33PM

G'Day Mick I use a totally different method than any of the above . I have a microscope mounted onto the thread carriage & hooked up to a laptop ,with this setup I can wrap without looking a the blank I wrap looking at the screen .I can vary the magnification up to 400X . Using the microscope the "A" thread looks like cord & any gaps look like a 6 lane highway

Regards Baz

Bundeena
NSW Australia

Date: March 07, 2013 07:10PM

Mick,
Out of curiosity, why do you say - that " do not love it".

By the way do you wear glasses? If so, are they multiple vision? i.e. bifocal, trifocal, or variable lens?

If so, for wrapping, you might consider the use of a single vision fixed focal length lens.

If you do this, then either take your head band mounted magnifier with you, or a magnifying light with you to the eye doctor.

The idea of a pair of single vision full lens - in conjunction with your magnifying lens to have your hands at the right level for super clarity at your rod.

I use a pair of 3X magnifying head band glasses.
I currently wear trifocals.

I also have a pair of single vision reading glasses with a focal length of about 1 foot - (standard for reading),
I have a pair of single vision computer glasses with a focal length of 22 inches - which is the distance of my eyes to my computer screen.
I have a pair of single vision TV glasses with a focal length of 10 feet which is the distance from my favorite chair to my TV set.
Then, I have a set of trifocals glasses set up for reading, for 3 feet and for distance.

When I am working on a rod doing wrapping, I use my computer glasses with their 22 inch focal length. These, in conjunction with my 3X magnifiers - work just right for my hands to be at the right spot - working on my rods in perfect focus.

If, for example, I use my reading glasses in conjunction with the 3X magnifiers, I have to be much closer to the rod - for good focus. This means that I am hunched over my rods.

Or, if I use my TV glasses in conjunction with my 3x magnifiers, I can not get far enough from my rod to have the rod in focus.

The nice thing about using a pair of single vision glasses, is that you can hold your head in any direction and still have perfect focus on your work. No need to tilt your head to get to a particular focal length for good focus- as would be the case with multiple focal length lens.

Sure, it can be a bit of a hassle to put on, and take off glasses, but the ease and lack of effort in working on a rod for perfect vision makes it all worth while.

Be safe
Roger

Date: March 07, 2013 07:14PM

By the way, a pair of single vision lens, using plastic lens with no extras and a pair of inexpensive frames cost a total of about $40 at Walmart. Perfect vision for little $$.

Also, when working in the shop on my lathe, or on a vehicle, or other jobs where the bulk of my work is at arms length goes so much better using my computer glasses.

The issue with variable vision lens, as well as trifocals is that everything is in perfect focus at one small spot or tilt of ones head. But, if you are working on a project, you may need to look up, look down, look sideways, and many times using multiple vision lens, it is impossible to have things in focus. But, with single vision lens in your glasses, that are set for the distance, where you need to see- there is no issue in having your head in any position.

Be safe
Roger

Date: March 08, 2013 01:00PM

Mick,
When you get things squared away to your satisfaction, let us know what your final solution was.

Roger

Posted by: John E Powell (168.169.226.---)
Date: March 08, 2013 03:03PM

You guys have me thinking now. I have an old video camera and an unused magnifying lamp. If I remove the magnifier and lamp and fix the base to the bench, I wonder if the arms could support the camera so I could capture and send the image to the flat screen monitor I use behind my wrapper?

Date: March 11, 2013 09:35AM

thanks for the replies! sorry i did not get back sooner, this was a busy weekend! i wear a pair 1.5X cheaters from wal mart for reading, unfortunately, these do not work so well for packing dark thread on a dark blank. i did buy an off-brand opti-visor but i have to get within 6" of the thread before it is focused, that is why i do not love it!

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.33.210.---)
Date: March 16, 2013 08:47AM

If you have the choice between LED and anything else, take the LED. Low power consumption, very reliable, last forever. Mick, take another look at the "cheaters" with higher magnification - I think you will find what you need very inexpensively. Measure your work distance at home and take a sample piece of work and the ruler to the store and check out the higher numbers.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster