I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How do you organize/store your thread spools
Posted by: Mitchell Karmel (---.syrcny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 06, 2013 09:00PM

Just curious I am getting thread spools all over the place and was wondering what people use to organize and store their threads. I am looking for a method that lets you see the threads and keep them organized.
Thanks,
Mitch

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How do you organize/store your thread spools
Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: March 06, 2013 09:03PM

Plano boxes

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: March 06, 2013 09:03PM

go to a fabric/sewing store and get a thread box. they will have a few different varieties

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: March 06, 2013 09:24PM

I use flat tupper ware, with lids. They store 1oz spools prefectly, and seal out any moisture or other contaminants. I have thread that is 35 years old, and still as good as the day I bought it.

Posted by: Chris Herrera (---.sub-174-233-129.myvzw.com)
Date: March 06, 2013 09:24PM

Mitchell,

In addition to good plastic boxes, I go a step further and place each spool into a tiny zipper lock bag, and I store the entire spool boxes in a larger, cardboard box, away from all light.

Might be overkill, but makes me feel better.

Chris

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 06, 2013 09:33PM

Plano 3700, or the deeper one, I think it's 3750. MAdeira sells 48 spool double sided boxes which are awesome too.

Posted by: Tyler Bulin (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 06, 2013 09:41PM

I use an old Yankee candle box for their small candles. Its not as well divided as say a plank box, but it holds just as many spools if not more.

Posted by: Tom Loucks (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 06, 2013 11:46PM

I use one of my old Plano tackle boxes. 3 slide out drawers with built in dividers and a large storage compartment under lift up lid.
It creates a dark and pretty dust free enviroment.

Tom

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: March 06, 2013 11:57PM

just about any craft store will give you what you need even Walmart has some in stock , at least it is here in town

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 07, 2013 08:03AM

I use the Plano 3600 boxes.
I store the thread by color - in one box.
I store the thread by size - i.e. a. b, c in separate boxes
I store the metallics, standard nylon and NCP - each in their own box. - also sorted by color.

Another thing that helps, is that as each spool is stored, the tag end of the spool is clipped close to the spool, so that there isn't thread tag ends all over the box, getting tangled up with the other spools and colors.

For the tall spools, I use a separate rubber maid box to handle the much taller spools.

Roger

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.direcway.com)
Date: March 07, 2013 09:33AM

I had stored my thread in a sewing box for several years, but my thread collection became too large and the sewing box cracked. So I went to a home center and found a storage container that has four drawers with varying heights. I bought one, a piece of peg board (coated white), some dowels to fit the holes, and some white glue that dries fast. I cut the pegboard on my table saw (but other saws would work as well) to fit the drawers in the storage container. After cutting the dowels to fit these various sized spools of thread, I glued them in and when the glue dried, I began putting the thread spools onto the pegs and then placing them in the drawers. When I finished I had the threads sorted into each drawer. Now I have a drawer for my classic twist thread and the other drawers have the threads assorted (roughly) by color. For example, I have a drawer for green.blue, and purple, one for red, orange, and yellow, a drawer for larger spools and one for metallics.

The storage container now stays in my basement shop and is in the dark when I'm not working in the shop. The time to finish this project was less than a day plus overnight drying of the glue. For the first time in nearly 45 years, my threads are organized and readily accessible. I wished I had done this years ago.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 07, 2013 11:10AM

I Bought my boxes from Joann's Fabric stores.Clear plastic with individual pegs for each spool 40 spools per Box

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 07, 2013 12:20PM

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 07, 2013 01:00PM

here's a photo of the boxes I use

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2013 01:03PM by Barry Thomas Sr.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster