I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

CTS blanks
Posted by: Sam Moore (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: March 06, 2013 06:10PM

Anyone tried them. I fished one briefly a guide had while fishing some smallies in Wisconsin. Seemed very nice, but almost impossible to procure. Well I finally found a dependable dealer who carries them.

Guys what's your impressions with these blanks? I have pretty much tried most everyone out there...and do have my favorite company, but am always willing to try new things. My unlce lives in New Zealand and knows a little about them, but just passing knowledge as he isn't much of a fisherman.

Are the powers true to listing, and are they quality blanks? Thinking about trying one just for kicks.

Tight lines!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: CTS blanks
Posted by: Al Goldberg (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 06, 2013 06:45PM

Been building on CTS for two years now for surf and saltwater boat rods. Have received much positive initial feedback from customers. However, the jury is still out on their durability.

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: March 06, 2013 07:10PM

i have fished on some of the fly blanks and they were fantastic. i have always heard great things about all the blanks. the only negative was getting them in a timely fashion.

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 06, 2013 08:41PM

Hi Sam,

I stock and build on the ES and @#$%& series. These blanks make fantastic catching tools and my customers sing their praises. These rods are used all around Long Island, NY waters from 5' to 600", skinny water buck tailing fluke to tile fishing in 600' of water and everything in between. I find the blanks to be very sensitive and I am feeling sensations that I never experienced before. The blanks also have great lifting power down the middle.

How much do I like them? I have had CTS modify the design of the @#$%& 702, 703 and 704 to give me a moderate action to act as a shock absorber especially when using braid. I am presently awaiting arrival of the modified 705 and 706. Yes, I put my money up front and on the line. My customers love the moderate action and I still stock the @#$%& series for those who like graphite that has a very fast tip and loads up fast.

I hope this helps.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: March 06, 2013 09:05PM

The @#$%& series?

I prefer the &*^! series.

LoL

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 06, 2013 09:23PM

What did I do wrong now? It is okay to type ES series but not ?? series? These blanks are sold by an advertiser in the left column. I don't understand? But then again I guess just being old gets one into trouble.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 07, 2013 07:21AM

I build on the Fly Rod models of CTS Blanks, they will easily compare to anything that any of the US high end stuff out there. They also have a very wide range of fly rod blanks. I don't think you would be unhappy with their blanks once you figured out what configuration you wanted.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: March 07, 2013 07:59AM

Capt. Neil, I have no idea what or why it happened.......but I did think it was a bit comical.

Laughing with you my friend...laughing with you.

Jay

Posted by: Todd Theodore (---.fuse.net)
Date: March 07, 2013 07:49PM

I've built on the Affinity fly blanks and the tournament spinning blanks. Best rods I've ever used. Not easy to come by anymore.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.nbrncmtc01.nwbrnc.ab.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: March 07, 2013 11:11PM

I built a prototype that I got from Andy Dear a number of years ago and it is still one of my absolute favorites. Incredibly light, super sensitive. I would rate it with anything that I have built from the USA. It is easily on par and above some of the following, North Fork HM's, SCV's, XMG50's and SHX's,Rogues and RX8+'s. I only wish that they hadn't changed what I have for the final production model. If I recall mine is the EBT664. I will say that I have and fish all of the blanks that I listed as I believe they each have their own place but the CTS sure is one heck of a stick.

Tom

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns5.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: March 08, 2013 12:59AM

Hi Sam,
Get in touch with Stephen Pratt at www.ctsfishing.com in New Zealand. Nice gent who will be a big help with what you want and you can search the site. Once you get in touch with him you will get emails with specials etc and once a year they have an 80% off shipping worldwide which cuts down on the cost. Very nice blanks but not cheap

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Todd Theodore (---.sub-70-194-4.myvzw.com)
Date: March 08, 2013 11:27AM

Who is the dealer you mentioned?

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 09, 2013 10:51AM

I am the U.S. Distributer for CTS Fly Blanks
[hnlcustomflyrods.com]

Posted by: Mark Fisher (---.lns6.fli.bigpond.net.au)
Date: March 12, 2013 01:57AM

Really nice blanks and well built. The service from CTS is exceptional. Once you buy the blank you receive an email confirmation. If you have ordered a specialty colour it may take a little longer but they give a time frame. Then, when the blank is ready they let you know when it is being packed and when it is actually freighted off to you. That sort of service is very hard to beat. They are, IMHO, very expensive blanks but like Tom said, as good as or equal to many of the other top line blanks. I have one on the way to me at the moment in gloss black to be matched with gloss black VSS seat, black trims and cork grip fittings - Can't wait.

Mark
Outback Rods

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster