I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

sensitivity versus durability (seeking advice on a spinning rod blank)
Posted by: Russell Brunt (165.214.14.---)
Date: March 06, 2013 02:11PM

I have a guy that could use a few rods having just bought a boat. His concern is that "everyone from my son to my grandson will be using them. The only rod storage is under the gunnel. So they need to be durable enough for all of this".

The first pair of blanks I built for him were Lamiglas tri-flexs (TXC841M). He was pleased. Fist time out his son got a decent amberjack and he got a nice sailfish. Now it is time for a couple of general purpose (salt water) spinning rods. The larger reel will be a shimano 8000 stradic. Figure one spool with lighter mono and one with braid....about 250 yards of each. Thinking around a 15-30# rated blank.

I'd like to give him a St. Croix but I couldn't honestly call it a "durable" blank in the same way I could a composite. So if you were looking for best combo of sensitive and durable for a 7 foot 15-30# spinning blank for all around salt water fishing....what would you pick.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: sensitivity versus durability (seeking advice on a spinning rod blank)
Posted by: John Martines (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 06, 2013 04:27PM

I don't like all graphite or thin walls for boats. I would say a nice mid modulus ( IM6+ or IM7 type) range since most will still have some glass in them and they are durable within reason.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 06, 2013 05:32PM

St Croix makes a pretty wide range of rod models. The SCIII are reasonably tough and still offer very nice performance.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 06, 2013 06:02PM

Russ,\
Give Kerry a call at Batson Rods,
They have some great composite rods that might be just the ticket for what you are looking for.

Roger

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 06, 2013 06:32PM

A couple of suggestions.

Batsons RX4/Composite SWS70MH. These are durable being composite but still light. This is the 7' 15-30 model.

Lamiglas Tri-Flex (also composite) GTF 84 1M, or, TXC 84 1M. Both rated 15-30, 7'.

Can't go wrong with either one of these. I built some sailfish rods on the Tri-Flex blanks and the customer loved them.

Terry

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 06, 2013 06:44PM

Tom, am I that transparent? I have a 3SW70HF that I intend to pair with the same reel. I'm trying to convince him it will be durable enough. However I do admit that I wouldn't hand it over to just anyone to use. Do you think the 2SW70HF would be much tougher? Good chance I'm guilty of being overly cautious. I just hate to recommend something to a friend and have it go wrong.

I've always wondered just which blank# you used in the magazine article! Still stunned by how consistent they were.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 06, 2013 07:40PM

It would be tougher, but also a bit heavier. There's enough difference between them to feel it in the hand.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: March 06, 2013 10:22PM

Than there are the Calstar Graphiter and Seeker Super Seeker, Hercules, and Black Steel blanks.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster