I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Eco wrapper
Posted by: chris short (149.135.147.---)
Date: March 05, 2013 06:03AM

Hi guys would just like to thank Clyde for my new rod wrapper. Have had the eco wrapper for about a month and just finished my first rod with it great idea and great device to use. I live in Australia so thought postage may have been an issue but no it wasn't Clyde really did help out a lot so thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Eco wrapper
Posted by: Jared Retter (---.dhcp.mdfd.or.charter.com)
Date: March 05, 2013 09:27PM

What is the story behind this wrapper, we are looking to buy one...

Posted by: chris short (149.135.147.---)
Date: March 05, 2013 09:33PM

I was using a set of rollers I bought offline cheap Chinese rubbish. Was looking at buying a power wrapper but thought I could buy more rod components is I bought the eco wrapper. I don't mind wrapping by hand gives me more time with the rods. The eco wrapper is great for constant tension and honestly easy to use once figured out that is. Really cool device have a look on web site has some good videos on the wrapper

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 05, 2013 09:36PM

I have one also, and the design and construction are first class. The wrapper is constructed to make hand wrapping both easy and precise. The thread tension set up is especially well thought out!

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 05, 2013 10:43PM

Look at the THE ROD SHOP on the left. Yjeir are some videos also. Great wrapper

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: March 06, 2013 08:37AM

I have a home made version of the eco wrapper.
Mine is seriously ugly but i love its functionality.
I built it a a stop gap and I just keep on using it.

Bought a new power wrapper at the expo and its use to me is limited to applying finish and long underwraps/thread to act as shim etc
Its a fast was to spin a blank and has a nice chuck.
But to be fair i was told and knew this is all they can do well so no surprise: my choice as i needed that functionality.
No constant thread tension device ( i am working on designing and then building one for myself).
No walk away in middle of wrap like with eco as no brake.
That brake is integral to the eco design.
After three turns over your X to start a wrap you can walk away and come back a week later and its all like you left it.
Get your guides all up in the air and work on the tunnels, blank stays put.
get down with two hands to cut thread/maybe use a magnifier and no nubs as everything is staying put while you work.
You got yourself an awesome well made and excellent quality wrapping device there.
Enjoy.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 06, 2013 10:40AM

Lou,
I am curious why any power wrapper would not have a brake that would allow one to walk away from a wrap as soon as the thread is secure on the rod.

If the rod is secure in the chuck and if the chuck is connected to a motor - how can the rod back up?

Just wondering.

------------------
I have several power wrappers that I have built for myself and have no issues with the rods remaining stationary.

I am just curious as to the design of a wrapper that would let the thread back up and come loose if not under power.

Roger

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: March 06, 2013 01:37PM

Roger my power wrapper does allow you to move the whole rod back and forth by hand.
That is actually a very nice thing for some work on wraps .
You can get the rod to spin with a foot control or just ease it back and forth by hand. Very free floating and great bearings.
Just wish it had a lock brake that was a simple engage/disengage.
I guess you could switch to drier mode each time and take the giant O ring and move it to the drier motor but that is kind of yucky to me.
eco wrapper you take your hand off the blank and it stays put right there, no further action required.

My eco has a 18 inch spring steel plus rod guide extra tensioning device in the circuit that allows me to back up several turns and maintain constant thread tension too.
I am thinking of adding something similar to my power wrapper.

Posted by: William Neil (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: February 09, 2016 11:50AM

Where can you purchase the EcoWrapper ? I would like to have the magnifier and light also.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster