I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Applying CP??
Posted by: Rick Schafer (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: March 04, 2013 06:59PM

Hey Guys,

Have a Newbie question for ya. Does anyone apply CP to Color Fast thread?

And do you apply the finish right after you apply the CP or do you let dry on drying stand like the flex coat?? How long if so does it set like the flex coat. I'm building my 4th rod and have never used CP. My other rods look O.K. but this rod has alot more trim rings and over wraps.Think I'm getting the hang of hand wrapping finally!

Thanks for any help

Rick

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Applying CP??
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 04, 2013 07:11PM

Yes

One thin coat will help to hold the color

But

Let it dry at least over night Do not be in any hurry

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: March 04, 2013 07:13PM

I have always used regular nylon until recently so have always used cp. I still use it, not because it has to have more like I am used to it and it does not hurt to use it. It helps keep air bubbles from escaping from your thread and you seem to get better first coat epoxy coverage. My 2 cents.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 04, 2013 07:55PM

And what Don just said

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: March 04, 2013 09:54PM

Unlike Bill, I always give a good soaking coat of CP. Then you dry your brush on a paper towel, and wick off any excess. Rotate the rod by hand or machine a few revolutions every 5-10 mins until it no longer looks wet. Then let it sit. No need to use heat, Just do it at room temperature. A second and t;hird coat can be much lighter since they are not going to sink in to the thread. It is already sealed. Additional coats are just your insurance.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 04, 2013 10:25PM

If your going to use CP, why use "colorfast" or NCP? The colors of both are not nearly as vibrant as regular nylon because they add chalk to prevent the transparency of soaking epoxy.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 05, 2013 10:55AM

I've done sample wraps for a number of colors with and without CP, including the colorfast varieties. There is little to no difference in appearance in the colorfast look when CP is applied but as Don said, it does help reduce the bubbles as most of the air has already been displaced.

As for application, I flood the wrap with CP using a brush making sure all the surfaces are wet, then move on a wrap or 2, then dry my brush on a paper towel and go back to take off the excess before it dries. Let it cure overnight at room temp or at least 8 hours in a box at 75 deg. Coach Wooden always said "be quick but never hurry".

Terry

Posted by: John E Powell (168.169.226.---)
Date: March 05, 2013 12:28PM

Phil,

Over the years I've had aa small number of customers choose to have their guide wraps done in NCP with regular thread trim bands. They prefer the paint-like look of the NCP for the majority of the wrap saving the more faceted or sparkly look of regular thread for the trim bands.

I've also used the flat paint like look of NCP to fill in a closed butt wrap to help make a subtle darker regular thread butt wrap pattern stand out a little more from the backgrouns without having to use brighter hues of thread in the pattern itself.

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.northstate.net)
Date: March 05, 2013 12:52PM

Hi Rick,
I've been building for over 35 years and have always used cp no matter what sort of thread. We used to call the stuff "filler" as it helped to remove the small gaps in the wraps. I need it these days as I use madeira thread and I put it on similar to Randolph. A lot of guys won't use it on guidewraps but I've never had a problem with a guidewrap that could, in any way be attributed to cp.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Date: March 05, 2013 04:14PM

A very good reason to use CP over NCP thread is to eliminate any air in the thread.
The water based CP displaces the air and cures many problems that people have with bubbles.

Posted by: Rick Schafer (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: March 05, 2013 04:36PM

Thanks fellas

I had some trouble with bubbles on this rod. I'm stripping it and starting over. I heard the PC helps but just wanted to confirm. My flex coat was also tacky and didn't cure correctly. Bummer. I need the practice anyway.

The main reason I asked was because I was goin to get some metallic thread for the trim as John said.

thaks guys always good stuff!!

Rick

Posted by: Jared Retter (---.dhcp.mdfd.or.charter.com)
Date: March 05, 2013 04:39PM

I am new here but I have found that CP is a must even with colorfast thread. At lease when blank is dark and using light colors, night and day when you do a side by side with and without.... Also think it helps melt the color together better.... White is a must I can tell you that and even the merlot that i tested held color way better than without cp. Interesting notes above about the vibrance and chalk... Might have to switch to regular thread since I am using cp anyway... White pearl metallic took several coats (5-6) and still had areas that it let the blank show through... not sure how to fix that.... Again, I am a noob, only 8 rods so far, but that is what I have found....

Date: March 05, 2013 04:44PM

Jared if the blank is showing through then you need to make tighter wraps. Not tighter tension, but make sure that all threads are closely packed together, then burnish them lightly. A good magnifying lamp or headset will show any gaps, no matter how good your eyesight is.

Posted by: John E Powell (---.buffalo.res.rr.com)
Date: March 05, 2013 05:12PM

Jared,

As Randolph suggested, try wrapping your thread with a bit more angle to it to see if that helps close up the gaps. There is a difference between packing threads and burnishing threads. Packing is a deliberate compressing of adjacent threads to remove gaps between them. Burnishing is a flattening of the surface of threads that can have a mild packing effect or, in some cases, can open existing spaces in loosely packed thread. I always try to burnish from the ends of a guide wrap towards the center to get a little packing effect on the threads.

Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: March 05, 2013 06:20PM

Also Jared, stay with ncp or colorfast and use cp. You mentioned light colors on dark blanks....ncp and cp is the safe bet.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 05, 2013 06:29PM

Jared,

Yes, you need to pack the thread tighter. I have samples of light blue NCP thread with and without CP on a matte gray blank and there is virtually no difference between the 2 wraps.

As for your tacky finish, make sure you are using syringes to measure and mix very well, then mix some more.

Terry

Posted by: Garry Thornton (---.natsow.res.rr.com)
Date: March 06, 2013 03:58PM

I was having problems with light yellow thread turning dark on a charcoal grey blank.
In the end I sprayed the area in question with a flat white undercoat.
That solved the problem!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster