I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Old South Bend bamboo fly rod
Posted by: Mike Bradford (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: February 26, 2013 05:49PM

A friend's wife bought him an old South Bend bamboo fly rod. I got to look at it today, and it is a model 58 9' 7wt. It is in fairly good condition. No splits in the joints , no knicks in the finish. There were actually only 2 problems I saw with the rod. one thread wrap needs to be redone on a ferrule, and the first 2 cork rings are rough and their is a fairly deep chunk missing. I don't know how much collector value these rod have, but I doubt that it is much. I know my friend wants to fish this rod, and I see no reason not to. I was telling him how to clean it up, and care for it, when he asked me to do this for him. Do any of you know what thread was used on this rod? I don't have any thread to remove, so looking at the back side is out of the question. The thread appears to be a dark jade green and black verigated color, and doesn't have any CP. I know the proper way to fix the grip is replace it, but don't want to get that deep into this. I am wondering how much I can fill with Elmers wood filler before it is too much, and takes away from the looks, value and fishability of this rod?

Mike Bradfrod
R.M.B. Fishing Rods
Nampa, Idaho

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old South Bend bamboo fly rod
Posted by: gary Marquardt (141.211.233.---)
Date: February 26, 2013 06:18PM

for the grip depending on how big the chip/divot is you could cut some small pieces of cork and glue them in to fill it. sand that to a close shape and then use some filler to top it off. better than all filler.
for the thread. I may have some of that jade and black kicking around the shop but i'm at work right now and will look when i get home. i do know the stuff I have is nylon and not silk.

Posted by: Mike Bradford (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: February 26, 2013 07:00PM

Gary: I may take some old cork, and sand it down then mix this with some glue and use that as the filler. Thanks for the idea. I don't know if the thread is nylon or silk. I know the rod is new enough that it is marked as a 7 weight instead of a C or HCH. Let me know if you have any of this thread.

Mike Bradfrod
R.M.B. Fishing Rods
Nampa, Idaho

Posted by: Larry Grimm (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 27, 2013 09:22AM

ELMER'S PROBOND WOOD FILLER " GOLDEN OAK " WORKS NICELY AFTER SANDING I SHOOT SATIN FINISH CLEAR COAT TO MAKE IT MORE DURABLE AND IT BLENDS RIGHT IN ALMOST LOOKING ORIGINAL "GOLDEN OAK " MATCHES BEST Larry

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 27, 2013 09:39AM

You can replace individual cork rings with a little patience and careful work.

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: March 02, 2013 10:33AM

Mike,
There is little collector's value. A very good condition rod might sell for about $200 in a shop; $100, or less, on-line. In other words, if your friend chose to sell it, he could expect to get about $100,at most. My advice would be to make it as functional, as possible, since he wants to fish it, and don't worry about harming the "value".
As for matching the thread, even if you find the right stuff, it will be difficult to replicate the years of yellowing on varnish of the other wraps, and the thread will be very expensive. Instead, I would probably use some Gudebrod Classic Twist, and finish it with no CP, so that it darkens a bit

George Forster
Fort Collins, CO

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster