I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

A little advice as I finish up my repair
Posted by: Scott Backholm (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 26, 2013 03:13PM

Hi all, hope everyone had a good time at the EXPO, next year I hope will be my first!

I have followed Ralphs article and some advice from you all, and to fix my rod break (about exactly half way on a one piece 7' spinning rod) I removed the butt cap and inserted a piece of blank up through the opening and about 1 1/2" into to the top section. I applied pro bond to first the aft piece, then the fore. So as it is now dry my thoughts are too sand smooth, then apply a coat of epoxy finish. Then thread over that, extending a half inch on both sides, then apply 2 more coats of epoxy.

Am I missing anything?

Thanks in advance
scott

"My biggest fear in life is that when I die, my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it."

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: A little advice as I finish up my repair
Posted by: Michael Danek (50.33.207.---)
Date: February 26, 2013 04:32PM

I have no experience with the inside repair process you are using, but it sounds like you have it well covered based on my general knowledge. The most important aspect is probably to get the proper coverage of epoxy on the repair piece. Since that part is done, the finishing steps you plan sound good to me. I have repaired on the outside a number of times successfully. Yours will look a little better.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 26, 2013 04:36PM

Scott,
Out of curiosity, why was the area not smooth after gluing the pieces together?
But if it is not smooth, certainly sand it smooth.
But, rather than adding a coat of epoxy finish, I would likely just wrap the area and then apply finish.

Normally, when I do a repair, I always use both an inner sleeve; as well as an outer sleeve for the repair. Then, I just use a short wrap at each end of the outer sleeve and coating for the final repair.

Roger

Date: February 26, 2013 04:55PM

Thanks guys. Roger, it is only not smooth because i have not sanded it yet, but plan on doing so. Since I did not use an outer sleeve I guess thats why I was going to put a coat of finish,then wrap, then finish. But,as you mentioned prob not necessary so I might consider taking that step out.

Thanks again guys!

Posted by: Chris Herrera (---.sub-174-233-128.myvzw.com)
Date: February 27, 2013 05:59AM

Scott,

I would do an outer sleeve. You may find, that without an outer sleeve, the rods constant flexing will cause a stretch point in your thread and epoxy overwrap, making it appear a lighter color, and possibly causing some thread separation, where the two rod ends meet.

Chris

Date: February 27, 2013 09:38AM

Thanks Chris. Question though. I already glued up the inner sleeve, should I heat it up and remove it, or try to get an outer one over it with a small slit in it? You make some good points, thanks. Also, has anyone ever tried fiberglassing a small piece of cloth over it?

Thanks again.

Date: February 27, 2013 11:41AM

Scott,
If you already have the inner sleeve done, it is very simple.
Remove the tip and all guides that are on the tip side of the repair.
Size, glue and slip down an over sleeve over the repair area.
Then, clean up the blank in the areas of removed guides, replace the guides, rewrap and recoat.

Be safe
Roger

Posted by: Chris Herrera (---.sub-174-233-198.myvzw.com)
Date: February 27, 2013 12:00PM

Scott,

I wouldnt use heat on the rod to get it apart; it would probably damage the blank. Since you already glued it up, sliding it down from the top is out of the question, unless you wanna rewrap all the guides , which is what I would do at this point.......
_
If you don't want to rewrap everything, I guess you can try a sleeve with a slit. Getting one to fit right may take a little work, but once you find one, I would rod bond it in place, and before the epoxy is dry, place a tight thread wrap over the whole sleeve, to ensure complete bonding with the blank. After it is set, remove the wrap and then rewrap with a nice, proper thread wrap. Apply finish.

One other thing, I think Ralph's repair article states that if you use an inner sleeve, your outer sleeve should extend past it, on both ends.

And there is a warning on using graphite sleeves vs fiberglass.......I failed to heed this many years ago, and the results were less than desirable.

Also, I've never tried the fiberglass route: don't think it would have the desired effect.

Chris

Posted by: Scott Backholm (---.sub-70-192-0.myvzw.com)
Date: February 27, 2013 12:25PM

Thank you both very much. I think i am going to try the slit route i will let you guys know how i make out.

Thanks again!

Date: February 28, 2013 01:07PM

Scott,
You may very well find that you will actually have to split both sides of the oversleeve if you use this idea for the repair. Normally you don't have much movement on the piece of graphite or glass tubing. But, the principle would be the same if the oversleeve is cut on one side, or cut on both sides.

If you do go with the idea of cutting an oversleeve to go over the outside of the blank, then use a oversleeve that is a bit larger than the repaired section. The reason for this is that if you use a saw or wheel, or even knife top open up one or both sides of the oversleeve, you will end up removing material from the oversleeve. This means that with material removed from the oversleeve - that you would have open space,if you have a perfect fitting oversleeve before cutting the sleeve.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: Scott Backholm (---.sub-70-215-15.myvzw.com)
Date: February 28, 2013 02:12PM

Very good point. Thanks Roger!

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.33.210.---)
Date: March 03, 2013 04:35PM

Take a chance on it working the way you have it without taking all the guides above the failure off. If it gives you trouble, then do the extensive repair. If you have followed Ralph's instructions it probably will not fail. Remember the dry wall principal. You have to find the point at which more work will make it worse rather than better.

Date: March 03, 2013 05:57PM

Thanks! Prob going to tackle it this i have been slammed. Thanks again

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster