I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cheap tricks
Posted by: Garry Thornton (---.natsow.res.rr.com)
Date: February 25, 2013 06:42PM

Here are three cheap tricks that I use.
1. The bottom of an empty beer can is a perfect mixing bowl for two part rod finish.
2. Use a melon ball tool to get equal parts of gel epoxies like U-40 Rod Bond.
3. Shop at Michael's craft store for 144 packs of disposable brushes, at under $8.00.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cheap tricks
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 25, 2013 11:04PM

Thanks for sharing your tips.

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 25, 2013 11:07PM

Like your ideas a lot. How do,you get the paste out of the Mellon ball scoop?

Gone to have to drink a few more beers I guess !!

Tom

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2013 11:09PM by Tom Wewerka.

Posted by: Cameron Cholewa (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 26, 2013 12:23AM

Great idea... disposable plastic spoons would make for easier clean up over the melon scoop maybe.

Posted by: Chris Herrera (---.sub-174-233-128.myvzw.com)
Date: February 26, 2013 12:33AM

I use a full soda can, that's been kept in the fridge, when I mix bonding epoxies: ie 5 minute or two hour. I clean the can bottom, then mix the epoxy there, like Gary. The cold temp keeps it from setting up as fast, and the weight of the soda keeps the can from tipping over.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2013 12:36AM by Chris Herrera.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: February 26, 2013 08:53AM

What works for you is awesome, and I'd generally not attempt to change that.

I like the idea of a cool mixing vessel to extend working time, but I'd be afraid a full can from the fridge would form condensation and mix with the epoxy. I guess this can depend on where you live, but in the humid South a cold soft drink can will form condensation within seconds.

For paste epoxies (ie. Rod Bond) I break a wooden popsicle stick in two and just eyeball it. That's the beauty of Rod Bond...what looks like equal parts works every time...precise measurements aren't critical.

I'm also a fan of cheap brushes. I can easily justify the cost of a disposable $0.05 brush.

Posted by: Garry Thornton (---.natsow.res.rr.com)
Date: February 27, 2013 06:21PM

I use empty beer cans...That's half the fun...Wink.
If you need some heat, to break bubbles or on a cold day, hold a lighter to the open pouring / drinking hole.
The melon baller is metal and wipes off just fine with alcohol and a paper towel.
I use a stainless, mini spatula to move and mix the paste.
The baller has a hole in the bottom, probably so the melon balls fall out without sticking.
If you use it as a scoop, then level it with the mini spatula, like a cook would use a measuring spoon, the excess squeezes out threw the hole in the bottom.
Eyeballing is okay, but I like to measure, the bond is stronger and both jars run out at the same time.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 01, 2013 10:58AM

After you apply drink the contents
Just don't put the can down
Cool -- stick them to the wall ???

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.33.210.---)
Date: March 06, 2013 07:58AM

Along a similar line, I have found that the use of an end of a disposable brush instead of my fat index finger makes narrow trim bands a lot easier to control and finish (see article in library if you don't know what I'm talking about).

The foot of a spinning reel cut off of an old never-used reel makes a nice guide for getting the alignment right on the first couple guides of a spinning rod build.

Ever see the 20 flavor boxes of Jelly Belly jelly beans? Save the box for misc small guide storage- 20 compartments, clear cover, white compartments, write with a Sharpie on the clear cover over the compartments for ID of the guides, enjoy the Jelly Bellys.

Anyone have a tip for wrapping the tiptop trim and the first guide of a tip section on a hand wrapper (no support for the limber tip)? I know, get a lathe, but these are "cheap tricks."

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster