I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

What I want to build
Posted by: Robert Broome (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: February 23, 2013 01:17PM

I am wanting to build a bar style casting rod for fishing Chinook on the Skeena system. I talked with Andy Snedden and he recommended a surf rod blank to build the rod I want to build. Here is how bar fishing is done on the Skeena river. We drive a piece of ready rod into the bar and have attached a piece of PVC pipe for a rod holder. That part is fairly standard here is where we my slightly differ depending on water hight and speed we trow out a pyramid weight and spin& glow. The pyramid weight will weigh 6 to 11 oz depending on the current to hold the spin& glow in the current where the fish run. The standard set up to do this with is a 11 foot rod with a fast action. The reel is quite often a Ambassador 7000 loaded with 40 lbs test. I would like to build this rod for my son for his birthday. I used to use Fenwick blanks to do this but I can not remember the blank number and I am having problems relating what I am reeding on blank lists to what I need. Isn't age a wonderful way to help make a decision difficult?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What I want to build
Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: February 23, 2013 02:03PM

Robert, I have a couple of Fenwick white two piece surf blanks, I will check to see if they come close to what you are looking for. 11 oz along with bait is a lot to cast, and will need a pretty stout rod blanks.

Date: February 23, 2013 02:13PM

Thanks. Yes it is a lot to cast. I looked back on a very old floppy " remember them any way" Fenwick 1264 is one of the blanks I used to use. It does not have to be a Fenwick just looking for a modern equivalent or better. A particular brand of blank is not too important in this build Fenwick is what used to be easily available in the area I live. Now we have to send for everything no one local supplies these components any more.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 23, 2013 02:53PM

there are a lot of rods listed for 16 oz lure weight

Bill - willierods.com

Date: February 23, 2013 03:52PM

Right on so I am looking for the oz a rod can cast not the line weight listed on the rod ?

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 23, 2013 04:41PM

Yes, most surf rod blanks will come with a recommended weight range window, with the sweet spot usually in the middle of the range.

Example, the Rainshadow SUR1508F is a 12'6" 2-piece surf blank rated for 4-12 oz. This is one that would handle your situation well. Lamiglas also has several models in graphite and fiberglass that would fit your need. Look at the lure rating on the blank to get your target weight range, and don't forget to add on some for the bait along with your weight.

I build similar rods but for bank fishing sturgeon on the Columbia River. Lamiglas is the most requested blank in this fishery, but Rainshadow makes good surf rods as well.

Terry

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: February 23, 2013 04:51PM

Robert, sorry, the surf blanks that I have are all rated for 3-6 oz's.

Date: February 23, 2013 06:59PM

Thanks I allways find it is best tobe informed about what you are doing.This information clears the mud a bit so I understand what I am looking at better.

Date: February 23, 2013 07:01PM

Thats Ok Randolph I do appreciate you checking that out for me just the same.

Posted by: John Samuels (---.public.wayport.net)
Date: February 24, 2013 07:24AM

If you don't need to cast at typical surf rod distances, there may be even more options in the shorter rods. But then you'll be taking more leverage from the fish and it may not be as much fun fighting them.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster