I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thread wraps appear silver after applying CP and epoxy
Posted by: jeff corey (---.central.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 19, 2013 11:58AM

Hey guys... am still somewhat of a newbie so I imagine it's operator error. That said, after I apply 2 to 3 coats of CP and then a thin coat of epoxy, I'm getting a silver-ish color randomly on my wraps? Any suggestions or advice?

Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thread wraps appear silver after applying CP and epoxy
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 19, 2013 12:03PM

What CP are you using (I don't think it matters)

Teh job of CP is to prevent epoxy from soaking into the thread. Once the thread is saturated with CP, any other substance applied only sits on top of the thread (ideally this would be only epoxy). But if you apply another coat of CP, then this will sit on top of teh threads, and you *might* see it underneath teh epoxy...I am pretty sure that is what is happening to you here.

The trick to using CP is knowing when teh thread is saturated with it, then apply the epoxy over it. Many people will tell you to thin the CP, to apply multiple coats of CP > the problem with all that advice is that CP doesnt' need to be thinned, and depending on the amount of CP you apply you might need less coats. YOu need to LEARN via experiance how many coats of CP you need to apply.

I hope that all makes sense, even though it contradicts what many people post as advice to using CP.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 19, 2013 12:58PM

Jeff,
Often the very best solution to this sort of issue is to Never to use CP.

For many rods, there is 0 reason to use CP and lots of reasons NOT to use CP.

But, to each his own.

Roger

Posted by: jeff corey (---.central.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 19, 2013 04:08PM

Thanks all... I like the NO CP option! I'll be a bit more cautious moving forward and see how my results change.

Posted by: Richard Curry (---.56.91.75.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: February 19, 2013 04:18PM

Roger,

What do you use to keep Nylon thread from fading after epoxy has had time to harden over time? I had 2 of my rods fade out after 6 mos.I had to re wrap them at on charge. That was a hard way to learn to use at least 2 coats 15 min.apart, wait 24 hrs.before I put on the epoxy,, 1 coat high build or 2 thin coats 3to4 hr. apart,, that works good on may UL.rods.I don't use CP on color fast threads.

Richard Curry Maysville GA.

What is life without fishing ?

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 19, 2013 05:42PM

Sounds like too much CP, combined with not enough wait time between coats. You shouldn't see any residual CP prior to applying the finish. If you don't want CP at all, try the opaque or NCP thread. No CP needed.

I usually get by with one coat of flooded CP when I use it and it works well for me.

Terry

Date: February 19, 2013 05:58PM

Richard,
I simply don't use CP and have really had no issues with colors fading.
But, I also almost never use bright colors that would be subject to fading.
Rather, most of the thread that I use is of the darker variety. I generally like to have most of the thread blend into the blank.
If I want bright - I will use metallic thread, which has never faded for me.

Roger

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hsd1.sc.comcast.net)
Date: February 19, 2013 10:56PM

Richard Curry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Roger,
>
> What do you use to keep Nylon thread from
> fading after epoxy has had time to harden over
> time? I had 2 of my rods fade out after 6 mos.I
> had to re wrap them at on charge. That was a hard
> way to learn to use at least 2 coats 15 min.apart,
> wait 24 hrs.before I put on the epoxy,, 1 coat
> high build or 2 thin coats 3to4 hr. apart,, that
> works good on may UL.rods.I don't use CP on color
> fast threads.
>
> Richard Curry Maysville GA.

Someone can gladly correct me if I'm wrong...

CP does not keep your wraps from fading over time. They do not contain UV inhibitors (that I know of).

CP only seals the thread as to not allow epoxy to make it go translucent.

Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.100-30-64.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: February 20, 2013 09:06AM

Jay Lancaster Wrote:

> Someone can gladly correct me if I'm wrong...
>
> CP does not keep your wraps from fading over time.
> They do not contain UV inhibitors (that I know
> of).
>
> CP only seals the thread as to not allow epoxy to
> make it go translucent.

That's correct. Any thread will fade if constantly exposed to UV light, some colors worse than others.

Drew

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 20, 2013 09:46AM

HEre's teh problem with the internet - incomplete information. Without seeing a pic you guys are assuming that the threads actually fadd after 6 months - is that possible? I'm sure. But what thread was used? Where were teh rods stored? What part of the country does he live in? And let's not forgot, the biggest reason why threads change colors - what epoxy was used.

I don't know how people can give answers when they don't even know what the problem is, I think that is why so many people gt so confused.

Posted by: ernest sebastian (139.192.83.---)
Date: February 20, 2013 10:33AM

i have experience before for accidentally applying epoxy with slightly wet brush
water content in the brush change the epoxy color to milky white in the wrap and mixing cup
in your case i think the CP you used are water based and it's not completely dry when you applied epoxy over it

Posted by: Richard Curry (---.56.91.75.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: February 20, 2013 05:44PM

Mr. Vivona,

I should have given more info.,sorry, I made 2 rods, used C.R.B IS701L blanks. 2. Threads: Pro-Wrap nylon size A , and D. 3. One heavy coat of Chromaseal CP. waited 24 hrs. then . ,4 topcoated with one coat Flex-Coat High Build epoxy. The rods set in my rod room for almost a month before I gave to my customer,last year(Nov.20011),He gave them as a Christmas Gifts .I made him 2 other rods for himself, No problems, then came my 2 "Pinky" rods back, it was not easy to try to tell him what happened,said I will fix it no charge.! I will strip the 2 rods,down to black, repainted the blanks with pink "KRYLON" paint ,take them to a car paint shop to put a coat of U.V clear on the rod blank. I will wrap threads Pro -wrap color fast threads and one coat Flex-Coat high build epoxy.

I hope this will fix the problem. Do you think it will work? If not , What should I do? Oh yra The rods were kept in an open boat under a car port when not in use. In Anderson SC. Thanks for your help
. Richard Curry Maysville GA.

What is life without fishing ?

Date: February 20, 2013 05:59PM

Richard,
If you still have the rods as they were, could you take a picture of the rod and post it?

Roger

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 20, 2013 08:04PM

Not seeing the rods themselves it is hard to diagnose, But if they left your shop in good condition and returned later with the problem, it is likely due to some thing introduced by the customer. When you say "silver-ish, I am wondering if it Amine blush that is caused by moisture and CO2. Rods stored away damp can often have this happen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2013 08:05PM by Phil Erickson.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 20, 2013 09:22PM

When you strip teh rods, you should be able to see if teh thread has faded or something else has changed colors.

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 21, 2013 08:32PM

Roger Wilson,

Two minds that think the same. I almost detest using color sealer/preserver. But every now and then I have to.

Folks the sun and salt water are powerful destroyers. Combine them and we are in for trouble. How often have you seen factory rods
wrapped with light/bright colors? Not too often. But then not using colors is dull and no fun. So they fade a bit but that does not subtract from the rods ability to hoist fish over
the rail.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster