I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

SAGE Graphite Rods
Posted by: Matt Caplis (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: February 17, 2013 10:56PM

Hello all! I was hoping someone could help me with four rod blanks I purchased this weekend at an estate sale. All four are labeled SAGE Graphite and the numbers are: B286GSH, B10106GFL, B473GSP, B179GSH. From what I've been able to find the GSH stands for "graphite steelhead rod" but is this a casting blank or spinning blank? Does anyone know what they might be worth? I'd like to sell them, but I'd like to know what would be a fair price. Thanks in advance for any help offered.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: SAGE Graphite Rods
Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: February 18, 2013 12:21AM

That blank can be used for either spinning or casting, it just depends on how you want to make the rod. The blank is worth a minimum of $250.00

Date: February 18, 2013 12:33AM

I should have said if the blank is in new, mint condition. I will check on the other blank numbers tomorrow and let you know what you have.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: February 18, 2013 02:42AM

GSH 286 B, 6 to 15 lb line, 1/4 to 3/4 oz lure wt. 8ft 6 in, very nice steelhead drift fishing blank.
GSH 179 B, 4 to 15 lb line, 3/16 to 1/2 oz lure wt. 7ft 9in. Haven't fished this blank, but the length was a popular summer steelhead fishing length some years ago. I believe Lamiglas recently tried bringing back this length in a freedrifting/boondogging steelhead/coho boat rod, some think the shorter lengths improve sensitivity and give a bit more fishing room in the boat.
GSP 473 B, a bit confused on info, but looks like 8 to 17 lb., 1/4 to 5/8 oz. 7ft. 3 in. Haven't fished this blank, but the 470 version is very nice.
GFL 10106 B looks like a 10 wt, 10ft 6 inch, fly blank.
All would indicate being 1st gen. Sage graphite. Mine are brown.

Date: February 18, 2013 09:26AM

Spencer Phipps Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> GSH 286 B, 6 to 15 lb line, 1/4 to 3/4 oz lure wt.
> 8ft 6 in, very nice steelhead drift fishing
> blank.
> GSH 179 B, 4 to 15 lb line, 3/16 to 1/2 oz lure
> wt. 7ft 9in. Haven't fished this blank, but the
> length was a popular summer steelhead fishing
> length some years ago. I believe Lamiglas recently
> tried bringing back this length in a
> freedrifting/boondogging steelhead/coho boat rod,
> some think the shorter lengths improve sensitivity
> and give a bit more fishing room in the boat.
> GSP 473 B, a bit confused on info, but looks like
> 8 to 17 lb., 1/4 to 5/8 oz. 7ft. 3 in. Haven't
> fished this blank, but the 470 version is very
> nice.
> GFL 10106 B looks like a 10 wt, 10ft 6 inch, fly
> blank.
> All would indicate being 1st gen. Sage graphite.
> Mine are brown

Spencer, I just took the number directly off the blanks, is there anything else I could tell you to lessen the confusion on the 473B blank? You guys are always great at helping., I surely do appreciate it. If anyone would like to buy these blanks I'll make you a great offer. I just want to sell them and am more than willing to come up with a win-win situation.

Date: February 18, 2013 09:38AM

These blanks have never been built on. They look new. There is some tape residue on a couple left over from masing tape I guess. I'm going to clean them up and try and sell them. I just figured I'd post them here and see if anyone knew what they were first.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 18, 2013 09:40AM

The older 1st generation Sage blanks were extremely nice, but as technology has moved on, the value of such blanks is not very high.

Posted by: Teague Parker (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: February 18, 2013 11:09AM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
> The older 1st generation Sage blanks were
> extremely nice, but as technology has moved on,
> the value of such blanks is not very high.
>
> ...............

Very true, except for the longer rods (2106, 3106 and 3113's ), which still retain value among center pin/float fisherman. Those lengths might fetch up to $250, but I wouldn't expect anywhere near that on these models. Good luck with the sale.

Date: February 18, 2013 04:21PM

According to the 1988 Sage blank catalog, the GSP 473B is a 7'3" Med power 1/4 to 3/4 oz lure weight rated for 6-12# test line. 1988 price on this blank was $89 retail.

Date: February 18, 2013 06:24PM

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your help in identifying these blanks.

Date: February 18, 2013 07:03PM

I can't say that I agree with Tom about the value of the blanks. Sage no longer makes anything but Fly Rod Blanks, and there is a demand for the steelhead, spinning and salmon blanks they made before they went stricktly fly.

Date: February 18, 2013 07:52PM

Randolph Ruwe Wrote:
> I can't say that I agree with Tom about the value
> of the blanks. Sage no longer makes anything but
> Fly Rod Blanks, and there is a demand for the
> steelhead, spinning and salmon blanks they made
> before they went stricktly fly.

I could advertise them here and elsewhere and see if there is any interest. I don't know where else to try and sell them. They are certainly a nice looking blank, don't know how they fish. I emailed SAGE to see what they say, but I'm not holding my breath. If all else fails I'll just build on them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2013 07:53PM by Matt Caplis.

Posted by: Brian Babcock (---.vf.shawcable.net)
Date: February 20, 2013 05:18PM

Randolph Ruwe Wrote:
> I can't say that I agree with Tom about the value
> of the blanks. Sage no longer makes anything but
> Fly Rod Blanks, and there is a demand for the
> steelhead, spinning and salmon blanks they made
> before they went stricktly fly.

Actually, not entirely correct. Sage does still make salmon and steelhead blanks for me exclusively. I, in turn, build the rods up and sell them on a wholesale only basis in British Columbia. Blanks are also available through me to BC Sage dealers. I currently stock 14 models. For what it's worth, I was the Product Manager for Sage Gear 2007 - 2009.

Now before I get into trouble with Tom on my first post, I do intend to discuss sponsorship with him at the show this weekend. So until that happens, please don't ask any pricing / dealer type questions out of respect for the rules on this excellent board. The only reason I'm posting prior to this is to clear up any misinformation. I'll be happy to answer any general, non-commercial type questions any might have.

As for the original question on this topic, I think the specs of the blanks have been addressed. How to sell them is another matter. I may have some suggestions but, again, I'll refrain until after I've had a chat with Tom.

Thanks! Looking forward to the show.
Brian

Date: February 21, 2013 11:58AM

Brian I am sure that nearly any blank MFG will make special order blanks if the order is large enough for them to make a special run of that/those models. The blanks however are not available to the general rod building community.

Date: February 21, 2013 12:51PM

Hi Randolph. I can fully understand how you would think that. However, I can tell you right now that anyone can purchase any of these 14 models in finished rod or blank at about a dozen Sage dealers in British Columbia. No special order. No fuss. They're in inventory. Sage makes them for me once a year and I distribute them. As my business grows, I will look to expand beyond BC's borders. For now, I'm just trying to get everything right in my own backyard.

Again, once I speak with Tom about sponsorship, I will provide more details.

Brian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2013 12:52PM by Brian Babcock.

Posted by: Teague Parker (---.public.wayport.net)
Date: February 21, 2013 02:17PM

Brian,

It's great to have you on this board. I wish you the very best in your discussions with Tom. I'm also looking forward to more of your contributions to this board in the future. Thanks again for your single handed efforts to keep the gear side of Sage alive. :)

Date: February 21, 2013 05:30PM

Brian you made my point exactly! You make one large special order per year of blanks that are not in the Sage catalog or on their wed-site. You can only get a blank if you are fortunate enough to know of one of your dealers, or have your own special run of blanks.
I dealt with Don Green of Sage for many years and turned him on to the finishes he uses on his rods. He came to my house/shop so the I could show him the best way of applying the same.

Date: February 21, 2013 11:43PM

Randolph, I've got to be honest with you. I'm not really sure what your point is. You stated that "The blanks however are not available to the general rod building community." With a few clicks of your mouse, you can buy one. I have to admit to being a bit confused by this. Is it because they are only in a narrow geographical area right now? Or is it because Sage has never really embraced their "non-fly" products - ie: with advertising, catalogues, etc. If it's the latter, it probably won't change. Sage is, and always will be, a fly rod company first. If it's the scope of distribution, I think you might be surprised at the irons in the fire right now. I do intend to keep this ball rolling. I have a solid commitment from the company. I have a long (25 yrs +) relationship with Sage. It is going to stick around this time.

I was very, very fortunate to come on board with Sage right when Don Green was beginning to wind down. He actually interviewed me for the position of Product Manager - Sage Gear. An amazing man! I feel fortunate to have been able to work with him - granted briefly - before his retirement. I would love to hear more of your stories working with him in the "good old days". Truly a pioneer.

Brian

PS: Are you attending the show? I'll buy you a "pop" to hear some Don Green tales!

Date: February 22, 2013 11:18PM

Brian, could you please email me? I'd like to discuss some possibilities with you in regard to my blanks. My email is: matt_attak99@yahoo.com

Posted by: Jon Lewis (216.51.42.---)
Date: December 11, 2013 11:14AM

Brian,

Can you contact me at jonlewis1016@gmail.com regarding Sage GSH blanks.

Thank you,
Jon

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster