I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

stale epoxy and thread preserver
Posted by: Jesse Shipe (---.29.249.200.res-cmts.sha.ptd.net)
Date: February 17, 2013 05:01PM

Hello all,

Just a quick note to those who dont really use a lot of epoxy or color preserver. (I guess this is for the ocassional rod builder, like me.) I recently had to rewrap a spinning rod project two times because my chemicals were not fresh and had problems.

Epoxy: Brand name, bought last week at Cabelas, but it was obviously on the shelf for some time. It cured way too fast and was discolored.

Thread color preserver: Also from Cabelas, it was the white water based fluid... lumpy.

Just an FYI

Make sure you have fresh chemicals, nothing that has been sitting around...

Jesse

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: stale epoxy and thread preserver
Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: February 17, 2013 05:03PM

I have had finish and cp that was given to me by a guy who stopped building rods more than 10 years ago and they worked fine.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 17, 2013 05:05PM

Epoxy doesn't go bad nor get old. The set and cure time are determined by the formulation and are influenced by temperature. The hardeners of all epoxies will amber or yellow, either in the bottle or on the rod, at some point.

Date: February 17, 2013 05:21PM

What ever the problem.... its gone and Im reordering now.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: February 17, 2013 05:47PM

the epoxy I use is in excss of 9 years old an doing fine you should not have that problem with any of the thred type I know of , look at every thing you are doing to see if you can find out why ,,
do a test wrap on a scrap rod [ CP don't use it ] as like you a new at it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2013 05:48PM by william sidney.

Posted by: frank kurant (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: February 17, 2013 05:54PM

is it possible the stuff froze in shipping? and that's why it failed to cure correctly

Date: February 17, 2013 06:13PM

I bought this stuff in the store in Hamburg, Pa. last week. I trashed the stuff and ordered new, Im not chancing screwing up the rod for the third time.

I have used epoxy for many years, I build rc planes in my other hobby. Old stock didnt matter there, but Im not going to struggle again on this rod. thanks for the feedback though, I appreciate the info from all.

Date: February 17, 2013 06:24PM

The problem is that whatever happened with this last batch was not caused by age, therefore it can easily rear its head again even with your new epoxy. Go through your measuring and mixing routine again and make sure everything is as it should be.

Date: February 17, 2013 06:32PM

Thanks

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hsd1.sc.comcast.net)
Date: February 17, 2013 06:46PM

Did you by chance heat the epoxy to make it mix or flow better?

Date: February 17, 2013 06:52PM

I used the alcohol torch to bust up some bubbles. Would preheating the bottles cause it to cure early? I know you can spread it out on foil and it will delay the cure time so you can keep working.

Date: February 17, 2013 07:05PM

Indeed. Heat will speed up the set and cure time of an epoxy. For every 18F rise in temp above about 70F, you halve the pot life.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 17, 2013 07:23PM

if it is high build finish
Change to light It flows better and does not dry as fast
Do not be in a hurry to have finish dry It needs time to flow out and level 4 - 6 hours is about normal
Light finish also releases bubbles better No heat

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2013 07:24PM by bill boettcher.

Date: February 17, 2013 07:39PM

Thanks, I have ordered the light coat. I have built several rods in the past using the same methods, never had this probem. You guys provide a wealth of knowledge here, thanks kindly.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: February 17, 2013 08:32PM

when it is cold out or in my basment I use HOT tap water to heat up the epoxy the 2 part flex coat one is clear an one is light yellow the clear one will harden up , but but the bottle in hot wap water an it will
melt so you can mix an use it , it don't have to be hot just warm [ put it in pants pocket will take a long time ] , some people use micro wave [ never tried it ]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster