I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How many of you sell the rods or tackle you make?
Posted by: Tony Papazian (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: February 15, 2013 10:38AM

How many of you sell the rods, tackle, or any other fishing related items that you make/craft?

Sell because you have made to many & need room to make more.

Sell to pay for your hobby.

Sell as a side business.

Sell as a full time business.

Don't Sell.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How many of you sell the rods or tackle you make?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 15, 2013 10:42AM

In the magazine survey we did year before last, it was surprising to see that a majority of rod builders claimed to sell rods to the public. However, in terms of those who actually sold more than just a very, very few rods (less than 5 per year), the number was much, much smaller.

Posted by: Chris Herrera (---.sub-174-255-177.myvzw.com)
Date: February 15, 2013 12:14PM

At this point, I don't sell. I just build and build! I have donated some to @#$%&, and of course made rods for family and friends.

But mainly and mostly, I just build them for myself. I really enjoy building the grips and putting feathers on. But, when I do decide to do it as a business, I am more than prepared!

Chris

Posted by: Jerry Cook (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: February 15, 2013 01:48PM

This is very much a business for me. I have shipped rods all over the country as well as Canada, Italy and the UK. International shipping can be a headache but most of my rods are higher end rods, so it is worth it to me to do the paper work for customs. I just urge those of you who do this as a business, be it part time or full time, to not give your work away as it lowers the value of everyones product. If you do this right and pay your FET and all your other taxes and related cost, you cannot afford to sell cheap.

Jerry Cook

Posted by: chris stevenson (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 15, 2013 04:38PM

ditto what jerry said,i end up at the end of the year selling more tackle than rods,but thats because rods are commisioned and that market fluctuates dramaticaly,but hooks and sinkers and such stays steady

www.southriverrodsllc.com

Posted by: Mark Newcombe (---.346.dsl.syd.iprimus.net.au)
Date: February 15, 2013 08:15PM

Well said Jerry, my biggest problem is others selling really cheap it brings the whole industry down. It not just rod building its most industrys now that match hobbies. I was a pro photographer for year before I got sick when digital became the norm every hobby guy instantly opened up a business, I would quote 3-5k for a wedding and seriously be competing with guys that had 10 minutes experience one camera and a quote of $400. So as in rod building you always have people selling cheap because they have built a couple of rods and dont run as a business.

The single best way to combat the problem is to build a solid reputation with out that rep your in a pile of trouble.

Cheers

Mark Newcombe
Old Bar NSW
Australia
markscustomfishing.com
American Tackle Pro-Staff

Posted by: Mark Fisher (---.lns2.way.bigpond.net.au)
Date: February 15, 2013 08:40PM

I've been building for many years now as a semi pro builder. I build mainly as a hobby but my work has expanded through word of mouth and a number of sites which I visit regularly. I still have my occupational job but rodbuilding is my passion. I just don't think I could make a full time living out of it yet. I do not build "cheap" and I charge accordingly. I discuss everything with the customer and give them a quote + my fee on top. The fee fluctuates depending on the work involved (eg a complicated cross wrap can add 8-10 hours to a build). If they don't like it, tough! I have more than enough work to keep me going and never really want to get to the stage where my building becomes a chore. I totally agree with Mark, build a reputation for quality and originality and you will find enough work to keep you busy.

Mark Fisher
Outback Rods
Australia

Posted by: marc trejo (---.gvec.net)
Date: February 15, 2013 08:59PM

i myself have only made rods for myself, but i really look up to the veterans on this forum for the advice given. as far as selling a rod that i have built i havent gotten there just yet due to me not being 100% satisfied with my work but when i do i have told and showed my friends the cost of an actual custom rod is quite pricey but its a rod that is a custom fit and to their specifications and not mass produced. there are some good rods out on the market but i read up an anything i get from weights to rods to t.v.'s and when it comes down to it i have noticed there are alot of the same features on various rods. so when it comes to custom rods i am on board a 100 % decpite the cost i think thats why i am making the change from buying rods to making my own just the way i want it. now just to learn on how to make my own reel.

Posted by: Tony Papazian (---.public.wayport.net)
Date: February 15, 2013 09:10PM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In the magazine survey we did year before last, it
> was surprising to see that a majority of rod
> builders claimed to sell rods to the public.
> However, in terms of those who actually sold more
> than just a very, very few rods (less than 5 per
> year), the number was much, much smaller.
>
> ..............

Do you know which issue it is in & if it is available for purchase?

Thanks,
Tony

Posted by: Walt Foreman (---)
Date: February 15, 2013 09:18PM

My first rod sale was by chance, as I'm sure has happened with many builders on here. I happened to mention to a lake owner who was buying fish food from me (I have a struggling pond management business) that I build custom bluegill rods, and he's a bluegill nut, and he asked me to build him one. The next couple sales were fishermen that had posted on another forum I'm a member of asking opinions on what rod they should buy for bluegill, and I offered to build them one. This year so far I've sold more than I did all of last year, by way of people finding me online and by word of mouth, but I'm still a long, long way from making a living at it. I've had several people contact me in the past few months after seeing photos of my rods online, and even though my prices are close to the low end of the spectrum judging by what I've seen on other builders' sites, sometimes I get the impression that the average angler expects to be able to buy a custom rod for the same price he would a factory rod because more than a couple have fallen away when I got to the price.

My peeve is the guys out there who build what are basically factory rods, with no customization whatsoever in any way, no special threadwork, no customization on the handle or anywhere, and call them custom, and charge factory rod prices. I would guess those are the same guys others are complaining about above? I don't like those guys.

Date: February 15, 2013 09:19PM

Mark, I had to laugh when I read your post. I owned 2 photography studios back in the 80' and sold them in the mid 90's. I saw the digital age coming and I knew we old film guys were going to be hurting. Like you, I got a couple of thousand for weddings and I did a lot of product phitography as well. When the small automatic cameras came out, I could see the writing on the wall. I went back into sales for someone else. Back to the rod business, you have to build a name and reputation. Pick an area you really enjoy and go for it. For me, it's fly rods. I've fly fished since I was 8. I enjoy the creative part of (the photographer in me) it especially when it comes to the cork work and my feather inlays. Another thing I enjoy, but it is time consuming, is turning wood on the lathe for reel seat inserts. Between the cork work, wood, and feather work, I can give a customer a rod they cannot get any where else. That is what you have to do to build a sucessful business. Any of us can buy the same blanks, the same reel seat hardware, the same ready made cork grips. But, it takes talent, time and patience to make it all work together and build a business. Otherwise, your just another $20 hooker.

Just my two cents worth,

Jerry Cook

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: February 16, 2013 12:15AM

I would love to be able to do this for a living if I could pay my bills that way. I do have repeat customers, even tournament anglers. But it is still not enough to call it a business. It's a hobby and someitmes I make a profit. Not often. I do more repairs than full builds, rebuilds, grip replacement or changing grip styles, etc. When I don't have a customer rod to work on, I usually rebuild one of my old ones or a family member's rod. I try to stay busy by creating work.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 16, 2013 01:56AM

Don't quit your day job

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: kevin knox (---.baybroadband.net)
Date: February 16, 2013 09:06AM

Most people on here will not answer that as most are not licensed with the state or Fed Governments as a business, paying appropriate fees or taxes.

I am, I do. Why do you ask?

Kevin Knox
ANGLER'S ENVY CUSTOM RODS
QUEEN ANNE, MD 21657
#_#_#_#_#
www.anglersenvy.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2013 09:34AM by kevin knox.

Date: February 16, 2013 09:23AM

Kevin, I think you are correct. Probably most on here do not even know what a form 720 is and therefore don't pay their FET and other taxes. There are many in the "business" that operate under the radar and those of us that operate above board have all of the expense of doing so.

Posted by: Walt Foreman (---)
Date: February 16, 2013 11:30AM

I would think it would really be frustrating to be trying to sell rods if one were purchasing the components retail and then trying to make a profit on top of that. Every wholesaler I'm aware of requires a copy of one's business license to open a wholesale account.

Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: February 16, 2013 02:09PM

kevin knox Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Most people on here will not answer that as most
> are not licensed with the state or Fed Governments
> as a business, paying appropriate fees or taxes.
>
> I am, I do. Why do you ask?

I am, I do as well.....and I pay my taxes....lol

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.siemens.com)
Date: February 18, 2013 03:53PM

Tony,

I build fishing rods from components and if I say I am a custom rod builder I will offend, outrage or spark controversy. Therefore I will say that I assemble fishing rods from all types of components and when completed are different from factory rods and are totally functional.

I do it for several reasons,

1) I am obsesed with Large mouth bass fishing

2) I like to fish with the rods I assemble.

3) It is a hobby

4) I sell some fishing rods to keep up my hobby

5) Friends relatives and acquaintances like and buy my rods.

In a busy year I may sell 4 or 5 fishing rods. I charge enough that it is affordable to the patrons and still sustain my hobby.

Building fishing rods is for everyone for fun or profit and the reputation one acquires determines ones success.

If two people specify rods, one is a bread and butter plain Jane rod and the other is a full blown thread art masterpiece then both rods in my opinion are custom assembled rods because both parties received a product that satisfied their requirements.

I make bread and butter plain Jane rods. I assemble them with great care and attention to detail.

My greatest thrill is when someone tells me that the loves his fishing rod because they can "FEEL IT WHEN THE FISH JUST LOOKS AT THE LURE".

It is a rewarding hobby.

Tony, I hope I asnwered your question.

John

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster