I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Nano guides
Posted by: Mihalyfalvi Gabriel (78.96.148.---)
Date: February 14, 2013 06:25AM

I just want to know if anybody used these guides on a UL blank, for throwing very tiny lures, like 1/32-1/16 with realy thin mono line?

My main concern would be that if the line will or will not sticking to the blank when is wet,due to the "hight" of these really tiny guides...affecting drasticly the casting distance. Talking strictly in terms of some very light lures.

Or i can get away with no such problems if I put them very close one to another, to achieve no touching between the line and the blank?

And also if somebody used them before with which size of tip guide?

Thank You

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2013 06:27AM by Mihalyfalvi Gabriel.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Nano guides
Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: February 14, 2013 09:34AM

The only time I've had issues with line wetting to the blank is when I was fishing a reel with old mono (on the reel for well over a year) that needed changed. As long as your line is reasonably fresh, it won't be an issue.

Joe

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 14, 2013 09:52AM

If nano-guides are best suited for nano-lures are they also best suited for nano-casts? I'm wondering if a profusion of nano guides provide a significant increase in the amount of surface tension to be overcome in the water between the line and the guides. It's probably a small amount of drag increase, but we are talking nano here, and nano benefits may be exceeded by nano drawbacks.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 14, 2013 10:17AM

The problem here is that no actual guide sizes have been listed. What size is a "nano guide?"

The line doesn't use the full ring. It only travels across one small part of the ring so any ring larger than necessary only adds weight, nothing more. The best idea is to use the proper sized rings, taking into account the line, connections, possible icing, etc.

As far as line sticking to the blank, this is going to be a function of guide frame height rather than ring size. It is possible to use small ring, high framed guides to alleviate that problem, if it is in fact a problem.

Date: February 14, 2013 10:21AM

Thanks for the advice. That happend to you when you used really light lures?
Here is my point and the story. Maybe its easier for you to help me if I tell you the whole situation.

Someone heard about micro guides...but all that he knows about them is that they'll change his good rod in a better rod :)...Thats all he knows about them.
So, becous we talk about an UL moderate action rod, I agreed. He asked me right away to change the guides on his tournament rod that he is using on the perch competitions....after he heard that I have some nano rings ( have them for a while, but never tiried them). He gave me the rod.
The actual guides indeed are too big for that blank...but what I noticed, they are (evey one of them ntil the las runner) Y guides...meaning they keep the line away from the blank. Also pretty light ones for Y guides.

Also here in Europe on the long and light match rods that throws very light bobbers with thin mono lines you will see just this tipe of guides...light,tiny but with long legs ...to keep away capilarity( I hope this is the right term) to stick the thin mono to the blank, affecting the distance of the cast when light lures are used.
Im sure when it comes to talk about recovery time, general wheight and balance..will be a better rod with these type of guides, but I dont want to have a nasty surprise in casting distance.
More becose this guy is one of the best tournament angler in our country and this rod is his favorit in perch competitions...So it is very important to me..to not blow this :).

Thank You

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2013 03:39PM by Mihalyfalvi Gabriel.

Date: February 14, 2013 10:37AM

I'm afraid what you're going to have to do is remove his old guides and then tape up a set of new ones and try it for yourself. Keep going smaller until you notice a drop in distance or some other type of problem and then back up a notch.

The only way to know if the particular guide set up you have will work for a particular reel, line, lure set up, is to try it.

Date: February 14, 2013 10:40AM

Sorry for im was not mention it. Im talking about the size 2 nano guides with no insertion in it . The smallest guides I think on the market for the moment. For the purpose for what will be used this rod are the best( very light blank, thin mono line , light lures and small fish)...exept the line sticking question...that im not sure I can eliminate with adding more guides.

Date: February 14, 2013 10:45AM

Is your customer using a casting or a spinning reel?

Posted by: rick sodke (---.vc.shawcable.net)
Date: February 14, 2013 12:37PM

Mihalyfalvi Gabriel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sorry for im was not mention it. Im talking about
> the size 2 nano guides with no insertion in it .
> The smallest guides I think on the market for the
> moment.

I haven't used them but Mudhole lists a size 1 CRB NanoMicro guide with an ID of 1.35mm, which is much smaller than a #3 insert guide.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 14, 2013 12:42PM

call them up and ask They will be more then helpfull

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: February 14, 2013 12:51PM

You are in a realm beyond my experience, and as Tom said the best bet is to test the rod as well as possible.

I will say the time I dealt with line wetting to the blank was a casting rod, spiral wrapped with a 90 degree transition wrap (not simple spiral), and pitching lures ~1/4oz. total weight. In that application, the old line would set itself to the blank at the end of the pitch and cause an overrun. Changing the line solved the problem.

In UL fishing, I typically use jigs down to 1/32oz. with a small plastic grub, so ~1/16oz. total weight. These are fished on spinning rods 4.5'-7' with guides down to 3mm, and I've never had issues with the line wetting to the blank and killing the casting distance. But, your application requires getting every bit out of the cast, and rod lengths that have the potential for the little things to show up more significantly in the casting distance.

By all means do some testing, and I would love to hear the results.

Joe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2013 12:52PM by Joe Vanfossen.

Posted by: Mihalyfalvi Gabriel (89.137.121.---)
Date: February 14, 2013 02:10PM

Yes..I know Mr. Kirkman is right...I have no choice , but test them myself.

It is a spinning rod.

The thing is..it will be some work and maybe for nothing. I must to clean the whole blank(it's not bare graphite) ..etc...

I just hoped there is somebody who tried them already and will share some info about it. I know there are crappie fanatics in US(not sure if there is tournaments for this fish),,but here we have some competitions exclusive for perch..and some fishermen are real experts to catch them with very light equipment. This guy whos rod im talking about, actually hold the record of the country in perch speed fishing(the greatest number of perch caught in a tournament)..w/e.

Maybe I repeat myself but for this kind of thing these nano guides seems to be the right choice..of course for runners not all the way of the blank. No knots involved , just the very thin main mono line..Thats why I was thinking maybe I can use one of these guides for tip guide..wrapped on the top...

Or any suggestion for some really tiny tip-top..that is not too heavy in comparation with these nano's...because they are extremly tiny.

Thank you everyone.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2013 05:28AM by Mihalyfalvi Gabriel.

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: February 14, 2013 02:44PM

Guides used as a tip top work, but i like to go one size up from the running guides.
There are just no tiptops that small I have found that are as good as a guide if you are trying to cut down mass at the tip.

When you have the guide layout right, try a 2 coats a finish like permagloss instead of epoxy on guides that small.
I wrap 2 mm with ring inserts and it helps to use PG.
Cuts down even more mass.
Check the ring: you can get finish @#$%& up into ring and causing a problem.
Good luck.

Posted by: Mihalyfalvi Gabriel (89.137.121.---)
Date: February 14, 2013 02:54PM

Yes ..I already took in the PG version for that..Although I'm affraid a little bit of that too..I never used it for guides..just for finish the blank.

Thank you very much.

Date: February 14, 2013 03:20PM

PermaGloss is fine for guide wraps and in fact is lighter, harder and more flexible than epoxy.

Posted by: Richard Glabach (158.74.35.---)
Date: February 14, 2013 03:55PM

I have built over 40 rods using only PG and have been quite happy with the results. They only issue is that you will have to apply more than one coat.

Date: February 14, 2013 06:56PM

this almost sounds like a 3 wt fly rod Light rod with light lures and light line

What is the lightest guides Recoils ??? Fly ?? hard chrome

Acid Rod has a English fly guide that has a ( step up) unlike a regular fly guide Will keep the line father off the blank

just a Thought on this

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Thomas Bell (---.phlapa.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 14, 2013 06:59PM

I have run into this very line problem using small guides on a St. Croix UL. Batson size 3 guides (can't remember the #), 2 lb test and 1/32 oz jigs. When the rod gets wet the line may stick to the blank (surface tension maybe?) and occasionally screw up a cast. During a rain event it was much worse.
For the most part it wasn't that big of a deal ( I figured caused by some 'crappie' casting and inattention). Slightly bigger jig and no more problem, but if I were to build another rod for this specific purpose I would use taller guides. It's not a function of guide size (use all kinds of size 3 guides on other rods) or manufacturer, just that every once in a while that water would just grab the line. A little more distance between guide and blank might suite your needs a bit better.

TJB

Date: February 14, 2013 07:05PM

people have sprayed there rods with Pam yea I know But if it breaks the surface tension

Bill - willierods.com

Date: February 15, 2013 05:34AM

Bill...what is that ? Pam yea? 'dont understand.... May be my salvation?

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster