I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pro-Staffers & Sponsoring
Posted by: Mark Newcombe (---.346.dsl.syd.iprimus.net.au)
Date: February 13, 2013 06:14PM

Hi Guys,

If your business is anything like mine then barely a day goes by where you don't get the "I'm really good and you need to sponsor me" email sitting in your inbox.

I do sponsor a small team of anglers who compete regularly in competitions up and down the east coast but the competing side is not the most important thing to me when selecting who is going to rep my business the most impotant aspects are 1/they present and speak very well 2/ they have a respected profile online 3/ thier knowledge in a particular aspect of angling fills any gaps in my knowledge.

I found this artical from Bradley Sissens at Diawa who gives his criteria here [lureandfly.com] .

I really believe that getting a solid pro-staff together can really drive your business, but do it wrong and your in a boat load of trouble.

Any thaughts on criteria that may be missed here?

Cheers

Mark Newcombe
Old Bar NSW
Australia
markscustomfishing.com
American Tackle Pro-Staff

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pro-Staffers & Sponsoring
Posted by: John Martines (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: February 13, 2013 10:56PM

I have two pro staff and everything you said is pretty much key! I have seen other companies prostaff say and do things that are not what I would want. One thing that must be watched is Pros taking product that you gave them to try or use and sell it out of their car trunk. This does two things makes your company look cheap, shady what ever, as well as undercut any dealer you have. Protecting your dealer is as important as him selling your product. Any dealer who finds out a rep for your company is taking money out of his pocket i would I have to guess you will hear about it as will other dealers!!

Posted by: justin keithley (---.ostusa.com)
Date: February 15, 2013 02:22PM

most pro staffers don't under stand that "pro" stands for "promotional" not professional.

I staff for some folks and the bottom line is you don't need guys who are really good at fishing, you need respected guys that will do their best to promote your business and do it for "sponsorship benefits" rather than pay. Too many people just want the discount, the freebies, the stickers on the boat, the patches on the jersey etc. They don't do you any good.

Good Prostaffers are like good employees - only harder to find.

Regards,
-Justin

Posted by: John E Powell (---.buffalo.res.rr.com)
Date: February 16, 2013 10:33AM

Too much promotional and not enough professional effort can be a bad thing. A few years ago one of the fishing clubs I belong to hired a very well known Lake Michigan based Tournament team to give a day long seminar on advanced trolling techniques. What we ended up with was a day long sales add for each and every company that sponsored them. The consensus among the members afterwards was it was a very bad event. Years later, people still talk about negatively and that negativity translates over somewhat to the sponsoring companies.

The goal may be to promotionally represent a company, but first and foremost it should be done in a professional way.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster